Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-02-2009, 02:12 PM   #16
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
The 600 definitely looks like it's going to be my first reader. Search and dictionary were always on my wishlist along with being able to use library ebooks.

I also like that it has 5 font sizes. My eyes are not getting younger and I've always needed glasses.

If the screen is as good as on the 505 I'm sold. Think I'll get the black one.

Does anyone know whether it has sd card support or not? With all the other goodies this wouldn't exactly be a deal breaker but sd card support would make the deal even sweeter.

Edit: Looks like it has SD card support. Found it in service manual.

Last edited by frozennorth; 08-02-2009 at 02:19 PM.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 02:18 PM   #17
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The current mobile ADE includes full justification, but not hyphenation.
And without hyphenation, the only thing full justification gets you is making your words appear in the shape of a box, at the expense of yawning chasms of white space running throughout that box. Of course, most people here would rather have that box shape instead of text that's eminently more readable.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2009, 03:06 PM   #18
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozennorth View Post
Think I'll get the black one.
A quick jaunt around the JR site only finds the 300 in silver and pink, and the 600 in silver and red. Several covers -- including a zipped one and one with a light -- available for each model.

I'm watching ...
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 03:26 PM   #19
JEMelby
Save the Stone Tablet
JEMelby began at the beginning.

Device: Coleco ADAM (With high-speed digital tape drive!)
Am I only only one that thinks two inches is a bit thick for an E-reader? Or are they trying to simulate a hard-cover physics text book?

JK... I am sure that the 2" thickness specified for the 300 is a typo. Still, if THAT spec is a typo, it does call the rest of the info into question.
JEMelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 04:07 PM   #20
boylec
boylec began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
The 600 isn't up on JR.com anymore. When I click on the product link in my shopping basket, it redirects me to a page with the 505s and other Sony reader items.

Looks like they jumped the gun, and have pulled the pre-orders off.
boylec is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2009, 04:30 PM   #21
DG25
Enthusiast
DG25 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
PRS-600:

Touchscreen navigation

Freehand highlighting and annotation

Built-in Oxford American English eDictionaryl
This is exactly what i want from an Ebook eink reader and finally someone made one for me . Of course i would have liked to have a plastic eink screen, for better crash resistance, but i guess you can't have all and don't want to wait anymore for the "perfect ereader". I think 1 year and a half is enough for me. This will be my first eink reader.

Last edited by DG25; 08-02-2009 at 04:33 PM.
DG25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 04:33 PM   #22
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I dont know... it almost seems like a step backwards for Sony and its reader line
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 05:04 PM   #23
Emu
Enthusiast
Emu is on a distinguished road

Device: Had: iRex iLiad 8", iriver stroy HD 6", Dell Vostro A90 9"
does anybody know something about the res?? 800x600 again?
Emu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 05:09 PM   #24
boylec

yes, 800x600
Old 08-02-2009, 05:18 PM   #25
herbdb
herbdb began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
This info is from the Service Manual that is floating around the internet.

I just reviewed it and got the following info. Size: Approx. 4 7/8 × 6 7/8 × 12/32 inches. Supports SD chips. Mentions tests for a slide show and playing music files.

600 Manual http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0...MzE2MjM3&hl=en
300 Manual http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0...NWI0ZTI2&hl=en
herbdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 05:18 PM   #26
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boylec View Post
The 600 isn't up on JR.com anymore. When I click on the product link in my shopping basket, it redirects me to a page with the 505s and other Sony reader items.

Looks like they jumped the gun, and have pulled the pre-orders off.
This was a post I made in the other 300/600 thread earlier today:

Quote:
Not to be a cynic or anything , but I was wondering if this could just be a great marketing strategy of the online store, JR, to have preorder sales of a product that has not even been released by the manufacturer nor has any mention been made in any of the media sources which usually carry this type of information. Even if the devices are eventually released at a higher price, the buzz and preorder sales generated could be substantial.

I guess my question is, has anyone heard of something like this happening before, ie., a product being presold before the manufacture has introduced it to the market?

Edit: Of course, it could just be that MR scooped Sony and they figured, "What the heck, let's get some out there for preorder and see how it goes."
I think it's interesting that JR has pulled them. I wonder if they actually sold any?!?
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 05:23 PM   #27
boylec

It says I have a pending order for the 600 for ~$300 in my account at JR.com.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:46 PM   #28
artemisblossom
Groupie
artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony prs505
Are both of these readers gone from the site now? I just went there and can find no mention of either the 600 or the 300..............but perhaps I am just missing it somehow?
artemisblossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 05:49 PM   #29
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Hallelujah! If Sony learned it's lesson with the PRS700, I'll be in line for the PRS600.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 06:20 PM   #30
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle, pocket pro
my order says shipped.
oncdoc is offline   Reply With Quote