Notices

Old 02-25-2023, 12:24 PM   #1
kelemvor
Enthusiast
kelemvor began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Can any apps group books by series?

Hi,

I have a bunch of epub files that are from various series. Keeper of the Lost Cities, Narnia, Hunger Games, etc. Most eBook apps I've used just show a giant list of book titles with no way of grouping them by series. This makes it hard to find books in the same series unless the book title has the series name in it.

I'd like to have a layout similar to what you can do in a File Explorer where I can have a folder for each series and then have the books inside that folder. It would be much easier to organize things this way and finding book 3 of a series would be very simple.

Are there any apps that can do this?

I know someone mentioned Calibre's Android app once, but I've never used that. I've used Calibre before but don't know how the app works. I need something that is completely offline and doesn't need to sync to a computer so I'm not sure if that would work. I could sync it before we leave, but don't want to have to sync it each time a new book is needed or anything like that.

If I have the epub files organized into folders on the tablet, are there any apps that would show them in that some folder structure within the app?

Anyway, just looking for ideas to make it easy for my kids to find all the books from a series at once so they don't have to go hunting around for them.

Thanks!
kelemvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 11:44 PM   #2
Kewii
Kewii began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
ReadEra premium is the one I use and it groups them by series.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230226_214201_ReadEra Premium.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	254.9 KB
ID:	199983  
Kewii is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2023, 10:54 PM   #3
kelemvor
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewii View Post
ReadEra premium is the one I use and it groups them by series.
I found that one from a different recommendation and it seems to work OK. However, I can't figure out where it gets its information that it uses to group by series. Some of my books it got right but others it got wrong.

If I import all my books into Calibre, and manually set them all tot he right series, can I then export them in some way that Readera will then show everything correctly?
Old 02-28-2023, 11:05 PM   #4
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I use a Kobo Libra2 and it can handle my series for me by importing the data from Calibre. You need to install the Kobo Utilities plugin to do this.

You fix the series in Calibre, then sideload your ebooks to the Libra2.

Not all readers allow sorting into series, so check before you purchase one.

Here is a screenshot from my Libra2 that shows the Series section...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	koboseries.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	200024  
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 12:27 AM   #5
Sarmat89
Evangelist
Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The problem is that EPUB doesn't contain any metadata for book series.
Sarmat89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2023, 12:45 AM   #6
kelemvor
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarmat89 View Post
So then how does Readera do it? It says it's completely offline so I didn't think it was going online and finding info. Can it read metadata from a separate file for each book maybe? hmm
Old 03-01-2023, 02:19 AM   #7
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarmat89 View Post
... until a calibre conversion or modify epub adds it

then apps such as moon reader will find and use it
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 07:25 PM   #8
kelemvor
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
... until a calibre conversion or modify epub adds it

then apps such as moon reader will find and use it
I'm finishing up manually updating the Series information in Calibre for all my books. What do I need to do to Update/Export them so that an ebook reader app will see the tags?
Old 03-02-2023, 03:10 AM   #9
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelemvor View Post
I'm finishing up manually updating the Series information in Calibre for all my books. What do I need to do to Update/Export them so that an ebook reader app will see the tags?
I run the modify epub plug in to update metadata in epub.

There are other ways e.g.the polish epub plugin probably also does it.

Check preferences within your plug in of choice and tick relevant options.

The same update method ensures I get series info correct on kobo when I add books to device
Old 03-05-2023, 09:31 AM   #10
MonkCanatella
MonkCanatella began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
I run the modify epub plug in to update metadata in epub.

There are other ways e.g.the polish epub plugin probably also does it.

Check preferences within your plug in of choice and tick relevant options.

The same update method ensures I get series info correct on kobo when I add books to device

I embed metadata on all my ebooks as the send to email feature is way too limiting. And I think it only really works on Kindle. I am thinking of switching over to Nook and it's actually a much better experience to sideload epubs: no limit to size, and it seems to have the capability of grouping books by series.

However, strangely, it doesn't seem to be grouping any of the books by the series I've indicated in Calibre.

What app are you using that allows grouping by series and reads the Calibre info correctly?
MonkCanatella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 01:23 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkCanatella View Post
I embed metadata on all my ebooks as the send to email feature is way too limiting. And I think it only really works on Kindle. I am thinking of switching over to Nook and it's actually a much better experience to sideload epubs: no limit to size, and it seems to have the capability of grouping books by series.

However, strangely, it doesn't seem to be grouping any of the books by the series I've indicated in Calibre.

What app are you using that allows grouping by series and reads the Calibre info correctly?
If you are referring to the message from stumped, it's not an app but a eInk ereader from Kobo. In terms of handling metadata from calibre, there is no comparison between using a Kobo and using a Kindle or Nook ereader.

Very few Android apps are capable of reading the epub3 series information and epub2 does not have a built in series metadata though some will read calibre's proprietary embedded series metadata.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 02:20 PM   #12
stumped
Wizard

Android app moon reader {paid version} can show series infoo, from book metadata

Kobo devices work as explained above.

Kindles need a workaround of adding series to book title using calibre template options

Android app calibre sync show miseries

Android app pocketbook dies not

Last edited by stumped; 03-05-2023 at 02:24 PM.
Old 03-05-2023, 02:31 PM   #13
stumped
Wizard

Ps android app Libby (for overdrive e library loans) shows series's number s.g ". 3rd in series ",. Nut not a series name.
These are library books so it is. Not possible too access or edit the metadata. Dunno how this one knows what it knows
Old 03-06-2023, 05:51 PM   #14
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
PocketBook (both device and apps) will look for Series metadata (created in calibre). I assume it also works with purchased content as well, but I have not purchased anything from them.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 06:04 PM   #15
stumped
Wizard

Where does ppl ketbook (android app} show the series info. I can't see it?