Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 12-10-2022, 12:55 PM   #16
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
That depends on why it's 2.5 MB to start with. It wouldn't be the first time I see images as tiff or bmp... (although probably not in an ePub, where they are formally not allowed).
You got me there. I do see that, in InDesign packages, all the time--.tiffs are notoriously huge. (I find that it's peculiar to me that so many print designers have what seems to be lousy file-size hygiene. I mean, why would you make a book that is, say, 8x10", and lay an image for it that's 24" wide? Or even larger? The landscape photography books are even worse--i've seen images sized to be 75+", going on pixel density and all that, for a book that's not 12" wide. It's...boggling.)

Anyway, sure, that could be it, but, he did say it was already an ePUB, so I assumed--yup, big mistake--that these are jpgs, pngs or the usual suspects.

If they are jpgs, and they've already been compressed once, as s/he said, that means that all the low-hanging fruit, the easy-pickin's in compression, like empty pixels are gone already.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote