Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-03-2017, 09:06 PM   #76
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
But, what if the Nook dimensions were given in the order height x width x thickness, both the Aura H2O was width x height x thickness. That would change things wouldn't it?

Jon, you have effectively said that one of these devices is wider than it is tall.
Yes, I did make a mistake.

7.04" x 5.08" x 0.38" are the correct dimensions for the new H2O.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:38 PM   #77
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
i don't think this is a technical problem. the new oasis has similar buttons and amazon was able to make it waterproof. b&n just didn't invest more into it for one reason or another.
The Oasis sells for almost twice as much. The Nook GlowLight 3 is designed to compete against the Paperwhite and the Kobo Aura, not the Oasis or Kobo Aura H2O.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2017, 09:51 PM   #78
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I like the design too, but it's a no-go because I'm a diehard Kindle fan.
I like my Kindles and my Nooks. But, for buying or borrowing books, Amazon makes it so freaking easy. I borrowed a book from my library a few weeks ago and accidentally chose ePub. I never get that book read, as I use Linux and didn't find it convenient to set up whatever that Adobe program is for DRM ePubs. On the other hand, I can read non-DRM ePubs on my Sony or Nooks without issue.

Speaking of ePubs and Kindle books at my library. For the first time that I've noticed, the Fort Worth Public Library has more Kindle eBooks than ePubs. Still close, 24,700 for Kindle and 25,129 for ePub on Overdrive.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 10:00 PM   #79
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Speaking of ePubs and Kindle books at my library. For the first time that I've noticed, the Fort Worth Public Library has more Kindle eBooks than ePubs. Still close, 24,700 for Kindle and 25,129 for ePub on Overdrive.
How is 24,700 more than 25,129? It's not. Your library has more ePub than Kindle.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:02 PM   #80
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I like my Kindles and my Nooks. But, for buying or borrowing books, Amazon makes it so freaking easy. I borrowed a book from my library a few weeks ago and accidentally chose ePub. I never get that book read, as I use Linux and didn't find it convenient to set up whatever that Adobe program is for DRM ePubs. On the other hand, I can read non-DRM ePubs on my Sony or Nooks without issue.
Using Linux is your choice. Not trying to setup ADE is your choice. But under Windows, using ADE 2.0.1 is trivial. Setting up the plugin to remove the DRM with Calibre is trivial. You just decided to do it the hard way with Linux and give up. You are the one who is losing out.
Advert
Old 11-03-2017, 10:28 PM   #81
raindog89
Connoisseur
raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Clara HD & Nook Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And if you find it's too orange to suit you, you are screwed. With Kobo's light, you can adjust the amount of the orange light to suit. I think B&N really screwed this up by not giving a variable setting for the orange light.
Wow you guys are stubborn. This is the second time I am pointing out that the orange light on the NG3 is variable. If you set it to auto, it adjusts according to the time of day, or you adjust it manually.
raindog89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 10:32 PM   #82
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindog89 View Post
Wow you guys are stubborn. This is the second time I am pointing out that the orange light on the NG3 is variable. If you set it to auto, it adjusts according to the time of day, or you adjust it manually.
It's not variable. In this case, variable means you can set how orange you want the light to be and it will stay that way ALL DAY & ALL NIGHT if you want. This is not properly variable. This does not fit the way many people would want. Would you like it if you had no control over how bright the regular (non-orange) like was?
Old 11-04-2017, 05:51 AM   #83
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
FYI, getting ADE to work in Wine is a bit of a hazzle, and changes every time Wine updates. I gave up and tested "Sony Reader for PC" and it works great! Since you have a Sony you are probably already familiar with the software.
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 06:53 AM   #84
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
As an experiment, a few months ago I downloaded a Nook book using the Nook for Windows 10 app and was able to import it and remove DRM with no problems. The biggest problem I had was figuring out which folder the app squirreled the file away in.

Since B&N sells books as ePub, I could be tempted to move back to them. I just haven't yet.
Nook for PC is still available and working:

http://images.barnesandnoble.com/PRe...tup_latest.exe
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 06:53 AM   #85
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
And the STR was a very poor design. The rubber was awful and the rounded corners are ugly and the oversize bezel is awful. Overall, a very poor design. I don't see why B&N would use is again.
Please stop. We know you hate the NOOK. We got the message the first five or six times.

Some of us like the design. You state your opinions as if they were fact. "the STR was a very poor design." I don't know if you are aware how rude that sounds. It would be polite to qualify your opinions as such, or at least refrain from repeating them once expressed.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:12 AM   #86
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
The STR is one of the worst Readers to hold. I have one and it's not nice at all.
You are the only person I've ever heard say this. One of my favorite things about it was how nice it was to hold. This one probably won't be quite as nice without the contoured back. But with the big bezels, rounded corners, and soft-touch surface, it will be close. Seeing how much it went back to that design is what lured me into ordering it. I sooo don't need it, but I wantss it!
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:34 AM   #87
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I'm completely Kindle now, and live in the UK, so non existent as far as Nook is concerned, I don't have a stake in this argument, but I do have an old Nook Glow (the first one), and it still works, and I like it. I don't use it much but its robust and comfortable to hold and the light is nice and even. Software wise its a mess, but physically its nice.

Last edited by Josieb1; 11-04-2017 at 08:43 AM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:21 AM   #88
Larla
Addict
Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab S5E 12" Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
You are the only person I've ever heard say this. One of my favorite things about it was how nice it was to hold. This one probably won't be quite as nice without the contoured back. But with the big bezels, rounded corners, and soft-touch surface, it will be close. Seeing how much it went back to that design is what lured me into ordering it. I sooo don't need it, but I wantss it!
"Seeing how much it went back to that design" is also a clear indication that the company got very positive feedback on the old design and made sure the new device had a similar design.
Larla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 12:36 PM   #89
raindog89
Connoisseur
raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
It's not variable. In this case, variable means you can set how orange you want the light to be and it will stay that way ALL DAY & ALL NIGHT if you want. This is not properly variable. This does not fit the way many people would want. Would you like it if you had no control over how bright the regular (non-orange) like was?
Huh? I just went to my local B&N and tried it again.
Here is the screenshot. You can indeed set it to how cool (blue) or warm (orange) you want.

The only problem is that you have to click multiple times to go into the full setting controls to access this. The guick tap on the light icon only lets you turn the auto setting on or off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ng3lightsttings.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	159808  
Old 11-04-2017, 12:50 PM   #90
raindog89
Connoisseur

So I went again to my local store (2nd one in NYC that has them on display).
And now I'm not sure.
While the size of the bezel bothered me less this time, I found a couple of other issues.
1) The performance seems laggy. Not so much in a book (and the hard buttons are nice, nicer than on the NST, as I recall) but switching between apps, going into settings, etc, really lags.
2) The storage! Check out this screenshot! 8gb of storage and only .95GB available for sideloading! That's crazy. My NG+ has 4GB of storage and I have access to 2.81GB. The real test would be to hook up to a computer, but I can't do that in store. If that is not addressed, or hackable, this is a no go for me, as I sideload all my content.

--I confirmed that you can turn on debugger mode to sideload APKs.
--The trick to access the internal browser is still locked down. Now when you get to the browser, they hide the address bar. Not sure why this bugs them so much.
--Somebody asked about the dictionary -- yes the definitions are still grey. Never bothered me, but I can see where it is a problem. But is it my imaginiation or did the software update that came today (and is already on the NG3) change the dictionary function? Now when you long press a word, the definition comes up immediately? I thought you then had to click the dictionary icon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ng3storage.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	159809