Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-24-2015, 11:51 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Ridibook Paper

Ridibook is a Korean ebookstore, and one of their ereaders (the Paper) has a 300ppi screen. I bought one on Ebay, and it arrived yesterday.

There's been some speculation that this was the new unreleased Boyue model, but I can't find any evidence of that.

What i do know is that there's no English language option for the menus, and a Ridibook account is required to use the device. It does run Android, but I haven't figured out how to install apps.

All I've figured out so far is how to load ebooks, and where the settings menu is. (With everything in Korean, that's not a small accomplishment.)

Does anyone else have one?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 07:29 PM   #2
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
There's been some speculation that this was the new unreleased Boyue model, but I can't find any evidence of that.
Given that Boyue stated that "but we already make OEM for our overseas custom" when I inquired about availability of their T63, I think we can safely assume that this is it.

Quote:
What i do know is that there's no English language option for the menus, and a Ridibook account is required to use the device. It does run Android, but I haven't figured out how to install apps.
That really is unfortunate. Whilst it isn't unusual to see retailer-customised ROMs (even on superficially identical models, yet alone rebrands), this is the first one that I've heard of that was language-locked. I had been eyeing the Ridibooks Paper myself, but will have to wait for another rebrander, or Boyue itself, it would seem.

What's the quality of the hardware (chassis, buttons and screen) btw?
Hrafn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2015, 03:16 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrafn View Post
Given that Boyue stated that "but we already make OEM for our overseas custom" when I inquired about availability of their T63, I think we can safely assume that this is it.

That really is unfortunate. Whilst it isn't unusual to see retailer-customised ROMs (even on superficially identical models, yet alone rebrands), this is the first one that I've heard of that was language-locked. I had been eyeing the Ridibooks Paper myself, but will have to wait for another rebrander, or Boyue itself, it would seem.

What's the quality of the hardware (chassis, buttons and screen) btw?
Between the $160 price tag, delay in shipping, and language issue, I can't recommend this ereader.

But I also cannot put it down. I like it. It's fast to turn the page, thin and light, and while the buttons are low profile I still find them easy to use.

I had heard a few reports of problems with the build quality but I can't see any issue.
Old 12-25-2015, 09:51 PM   #4
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But I also cannot put it down. I like it. It's fast to turn the page, thin and light, and while the buttons are low profile I still find them easy to use.

I had heard a few reports of problems with the build quality but I can't see any issue.
Sounds like a fantastic hardware design.

Now if somebody would just get around to releasing it with an English/Multilingual system and selling it in a non-half-arsed manner, everything would be pretty.

I'm curious as to why Boyue is being so cagey about releasing it. Is it because they don't have access to enough high-def screens for a full-scale release (which might also explain the Inkbook Obsidian, which uses the same new chassis, but with an older screen)? Or is it because the model is still slightly beta (which would explain the "few reports"), and they're using the South Koreans as guinea pigs? Quite probably, we'll never find out.
Old 12-25-2015, 10:10 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

I do wonder about the supply issues. I had to pre-order, wait several weeks, and gamble that the seller wasn't going to rip me off.
Advert
Old 12-26-2015, 06:07 AM   #6
Hrafn
Fanatic

Quote:
I do wonder about the supply issues. I had to pre-order, wait several weeks, and gamble that the seller wasn't going to rip me off.
If you're buying through eBay, you're generally protected against any financial loss due to a no-show.
Old 12-27-2015, 03:37 AM   #7
jaypark
jaypark began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
It does run Android, but I haven't figured out how to install apps.
It is rk3026 device made by Boyue, but unlike Boyue T6x, ADB on Paper is turned off by default.
So to install apps, you need to modify system partition(enable adb, install su..) and replace it via RK Tool.

You can access bootloader by power-up while pressing right button. (or connect to PC using USB then turn it off while pressing right button.. which will automatically power-up when connected to USB)

You can get ADB-enabled system partition images here.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?...p=sharing#list
jaypark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 10:22 AM   #8
Hrafn
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypark View Post
It is rk3026 device made by Boyue, but unlike Boyue T6x, ADB on Paper is turned off by default.
So to install apps, you need to modify system partition(enable adb, install su..) and replace it via RK Tool.

You can access bootloader by power-up while pressing right button. (or connect to PC using USB then turn it off while pressing right button.. which will automatically power-up when connected to USB)

You can get ADB-enabled system partition images here.
Do any of these system images allow the Paper to run in English?
Old 12-28-2015, 10:47 AM   #9
jaypark
jaypark began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrafn View Post
Do any of these system images allow the Paper to run in English?
No, I don't think you'll get English UI in Ridibooks app.
This device runs only one app, com.ridi.paper which is all-in-one apk acting as bookshelf(home)/store/reader/settings.
Ridibooks sells Korean e-books to Korean customers and don't even have English web site..

If you want to use other Android apps(after re-flashing system) in English, I think it already does that. If not, you can change locale easily.
jaypark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 03:10 AM   #10
Hrafn
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypark View Post
No, I don't think you'll get English UI in Ridibooks app.
This device runs only one app, com.ridi.paper which is all-in-one apk acting as bookshelf(home)/store/reader/settings.
Ridibooks sells Korean e-books to Korean customers and don't even have English web site..

If you want to use other Android apps(after re-flashing system) in English, I think it already does that. If not, you can change locale easily.
So to set up an English system, you'd just flash one of these images, remove the Ridibooks app and install whatever apps you want?
Old 02-01-2016, 05:02 AM   #11
Hrafn
Fanatic

Nate: did you ever get the Paper working in English (e.g. via the bootloaders jaypark linked to)?

The reason I'm asking is that I see Onyx-Boox's competing 300ppi C67ML Carta 2 available on Taobao for 849 yuan (US$129 directly, or US$141 through an agent). I'd prefer the Paper/T63 if it is workable in English, even with the $20-30, but the lack of an official English language release, or even documented unofficial conversions-to-English is making me wonder if I'm backing the wrong horse.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:29 AM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

I haven't tried.

It works fine for me in Korean, so I didn't want to risk breaking it.
Old 02-20-2016, 11:11 AM   #13
newap96
newap96 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.newap96 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.newap96 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.newap96 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.newap96 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.newap96 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.newap96 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.newap96 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.newap96 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.newap96 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.newap96 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Ridibooks Paper
I did it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160220_190321.jpg
Views:	1279
Size:	973.6 KB
ID:	146539   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160220_190102.jpg
Views:	1023
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	146540  
newap96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 08:59 PM   #14
Hrafn
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by newap96 View Post
I did it!
How difficult/involved was the process?

I was intending waiting until May when Boyue will be releasing their vanilla T63 (assuming my i62HD lasts that long). This means that I should at least re-evaluate my options.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:16 PM   #15
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by newap96 View Post
I did it!
Can you explain the steps involved?