Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-19-2013, 06:15 AM   #1
estiew2002
estiew2002 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Error message on opening Epub

I have an epub file that was imported into Calibre. I downloaded metadata for it without a problem. but when trying to open I get error message "Could not open ebook. Not a zip file" . Below i copied the details from the error message. the ebook was downloaded with other ebooks. One of them opened without a problem about a year ago. any other books from that collection i tried to open give the same error. the ebook is over 20MB in size but I have have another book this size and it works fine.

calibre, version 0.9.40
ERROR: Could not open ebook: Not a ZIP file

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\viewer\main.py", line 40, in run
File "threading.py", line 763, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\iterator\book.py", line 99, in __enter__
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\conversion.py", line 241, in __call__
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\conversion\plugins\epub_in put.py", line 167, in convert
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\localunzip.py", line 223, in extractall
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\localunzip.py", line 210, in _extractall
ValueError: Not a ZIP file

thanks in advance
estiew2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:30 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That error indicates the epub file is corrupted. You can try to open it in another epub viewer to confirm that, if you want.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2013, 09:54 AM   #3
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by estiew2002 View Post
I have an epub file that was imported into Calibre. I downloaded metadata for it without a problem. but when trying to open I get error message "Could not open ebook. Not a zip file" .
The fact you could import it into Calibre and download metadata for it doesn't actually mean it's a valid epub. And this error simply means these files are either not real epub files at all (which are ZIP files) or they are seriously corruptes ones. Either way, they are a lost cause, I fear.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote