Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-15-2011, 09:26 PM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Book Stores

With all this talk of Borders books and their series financial troubles I am interested what you think the likelihood of having more wide spread industry wide financial troubles in the book selling business is. What do you think the likelihood that Barns and Nobles and/or Books A Million will have troubles? What is your analysis of the situation? I would hate to have book selling down to a one option industry, I have nothing against Amazon at all (great company and great products) I would prefer not to have any book store be a monopoly, I don't like monopolies.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:39 PM   #2
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Barnes and Nobles already have problems ...

In Canada, Chapters/Indigo are ok but they are selling candles and toys next to the Sherlock Holmes. Books have become pretty expensive: a new hardcover is a half day's wages after taxes (around $30) ... any surprise that a typical ebook, at $10 or less, is more attractive?

I grew up trolling bookstores ... but until the Kobo came out, it was some years since I had spent any serious money in Chapters/Indigo or its predecessors. Book are expensive and, in an age where television views with the Internet and Facebook for attention, it's little wonder paperbacks get short shrift. Given that ... yes, there will be fewer bookstores in 2012 than there were in 2010.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2011, 10:30 PM   #3
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
For those with epub devices, a Border's closure would give us one less retailer to purchase ebooks.

And it would most likely hurt Kobo ereader sales.

Indigo's 4th quarter ends around May 31st so we won't know until then their 2010 sales numbers.

Last edited by Fbone; 01-15-2011 at 10:33 PM.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:54 PM   #4
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Thinking about my nearest Barnes and Noble, I wonder if they would focus on selling books, and not the other myriad things they sell, would they still be in such a bad financial position?

Of the floor layout, 20% is a Starbucks and seating area, 10% is devoted to magazines, 5% to the checkout area, 5% devoted to games, 25% devoted to DVDs and CDs. That leaves just 35% of the floor space for their intended business, books. I can't think of any other business that dedicates so little space to their core product.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:23 AM   #5
BenBanned
Groupie
BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paper
I don't really care too much for B&N or Borders, but I can spend hours in a used book store.
BenBanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2011, 02:31 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
We are already essentially in a monopoly situation in the UK; Waterstones now dominate the book market as far as bricks and mortar stores are concerned.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:46 AM   #7
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
We are already essentially in a monopoly situation in the UK; Waterstones now dominate the book market as far as bricks and mortar stores are concerned.
And as Waterstones is part of the HMV chain who are currently going through a difficult trading spell, one wonders what the future will bring....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:21 AM   #8
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
In Canada, Chapters/Indigo are ok but they are selling candles and toys next to the Sherlock Holmes. Books have become pretty expensive: a new hardcover is a half day's wages after taxes (around $30) ... any surprise that a typical ebook, at $10 or less, is more attractive?...

I grew up trolling bookstores ... but until the Kobo came out, it was some years since I had spent any serious money in Chapters/Indigo or its predecessors.
I hadn't really thought about how I use the actual bricks and mortar Chapter's stores, but come to think of it, I go there only to buy books as gifts, especially for new babies/young children and to buy gift cards, also as gifts, for my older nieces and nephews. Before I bought my eReader, a Kobo, I had been purchasing almost all of my own books on line, sometimes through amazon.ca, sometimes through Chapters-Indigo.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:50 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
And as Waterstones is part of the HMV chain who are currently going through a difficult trading spell, one wonders what the future will bring....
Although they are owned by HMV, the Waterstones part of the business is (unlike the music stores) profitable. If anything, it's the part which is going to survive.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:05 AM   #10
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
B&N closed in my town last year and Waldenbooks closed about two years ago. We have two Books A Million in a county the size of Delaware.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:09 AM   #11
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I hadn't really thought about how I use the actual bricks and mortar Chapter's stores, but come to think of it, I go there only to buy books as gifts, especially for new babies/young children and to buy gift cards, also as gifts, for my older nieces and nephews. Before I bought my eReader, a Kobo, I had been purchasing almost all of my own books on line, sometimes through amazon.ca, sometimes through Chapters-Indigo.
I used to give books as gifts and that was my major book purchase every year. Chapters/Indigo/Kobo is getting real money from me again -- all as ebooks (and the Kobo itself).

The very last time I bought a book at Chapters/Indigo B&M, it was $22. I got tome, and Chapters/Indigo was selling it for $16 online, amazon.com for $11 online. That was a couple of years ago. Coupled with the sad online experience Chapters/Indigo has typically presented, Amazon (.com and .ca and even .co.uk) has been practically my sole source of book buying for several years.

I do hope that kobobooks.com is doing some serious work behind the scenes to improve the search function and recommendation engine. I genuinely browse (and tag to my wishlist) at Amazon; at kobobooks, not so much.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:18 AM   #12
mountain_lion
Addict
mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: fbreader, Kindle
I really enjoy visiting B&N only to see the cover of New Books and the movies' soundtracks section. But is a lot easier to get books online, and receive them at home... I guess their book sales will decline in time.
It sounds like a good case analysis for marketing class...
mountain_lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:21 AM   #13
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
you have a monopoly situation in England unless you have an ereader and access to a PC, in which case you have other options .

What is your analysis of the situation in the book selling business?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:48 PM   #14
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Waterstones is not the only book retailer in the UK, just probably the best range, W H Smiths (a chain with outlets in every city, most towns etc.) has somewhat lost its way but is still a bookstore, there are still quite a few independents, a couple of towns devoted to selling books and (for the bestsellers) most supermarket chains... not exactly a monopoly... Being dominant does not equal a monopoly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
you have a monopoly situation in England unless you have an ereader and access to a PC, in which case you have other options .

What is your analysis of the situation in the book selling business?
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:29 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Waterstones is not the only book retailer in the UK, just probably the best range, W H Smiths (a chain with outlets in every city, most towns etc.) has somewhat lost its way but is still a bookstore, there are still quite a few independents, a couple of towns devoted to selling books and (for the bestsellers) most supermarket chains... not exactly a monopoly... Being dominant does not equal a monopoly!
You're right: I'd entirely forgotten about W.H. Smith's. Their book department in my local branch is so awful that I never think of going there for books.