Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-07-2011, 04:32 PM   #16
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Only in more recent stuff... and there's actually a lot of material out there that many people would like to have in e-format that is perfectly legal to scan...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Don't you have that stuff at the beginning of a book about not being able to copy it or store it in a retrieval system?
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:35 PM   #17
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Fortunately there are - several jurisdictions besides of the US - there are enough places around terra where making a private use copy IS legal.
especially since paper has no DRM possibilities
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2011, 06:52 PM   #18
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Don't you have that stuff at the beginning of a book about not being able to copy it or store it in a retrieval system?
Can I store passages in my memory for later retrieval?
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:18 AM   #19
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Quote:
What's the legal value of that, do you think? Trying to impose a post-sale condition upon the buyer? And there certainly are no EULAs with pbooks.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:33 AM   #20
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I'm no lawyer, but here in the US I think that would qualify as a fair use, as long as it's for personal use. Records and CDs say much the same thing, but the courts have held that you can make cassette and MP3 copies, as long as it's for your own use.

The Ion Book Saver looks a lot like a conventional copy stand.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2011, 10:37 AM   #21
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm waiting on two pieces of info: Price; and image resolution, which makes all the difference for accurate OCR. It won't be blocked from market, it has enough fair use uses, and historically, only those who are caught selling copies of media in violation of copyright laws have been prosecuted. Concern about potential copyright violation could serve to jack up the price in order to keep out ne'er-do-wells, but as that always backfires, I'd doubt it.

If the price and operability are right, it could not only open up personal digitization, but it might even become one of those devices that can make someone a bit of extra money (like lawn-mowing and dog-walking do now). But if it shows up in something like a used bookstore, I'd duck and cover.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:23 AM   #22
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Got it in one (well, two), price and resolution... with ion I'd expect the price to end up fine (start high for early adopters then drop fairly rapidly) but the key is resolution for decent OCR...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
I'm waiting on two pieces of info: Price; and image resolution, which makes all the difference for accurate OCR. It won't be blocked from market, it has enough fair use uses, and historically, only those who are caught selling copies of media in violation of copyright laws have been prosecuted. Concern about potential copyright violation could serve to jack up the price in order to keep out ne'er-do-wells, but as that always backfires, I'd doubt it.

If the price and operability are right, it could not only open up personal digitization, but it might even become one of those devices that can make someone a bit of extra money (like lawn-mowing and dog-walking do now). But if it shows up in something like a used bookstore, I'd duck and cover.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:07 PM   #23
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
I'll wait for reviews on this, but if it works and the price is right, I would definitely buy it. I have maybe a dozen or so books I'm positive will never be in ebook format and I'd love to get them scanned.

As for the legality, as long as there is a significant non-infringing use (and there is) nobody is going to be able to get an injunction against this device.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:27 PM   #24
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
I'll wait for reviews on this, but if it works and the price is right, I would definitely buy it. I have maybe a dozen or so books I'm positive will never be in ebook format and I'd love to get them scanned.
Only a dozen? I could take off a month of work and not get them all scanned!
Old 01-12-2011, 01:29 PM   #25
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
Only a dozen? I could take off a month of work and not get them all scanned!
Well, I do have more print books that aren't in ebook format! But the ones I'm continually poking around for and hoping against hope that they'll someday be available to buy? That's probably closer to a dozen... or maybe two
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:23 PM   #26
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Okay, if I was going to reduce my count to "just the essentials," like yours... I'd still be looking at a few dozen books, not counting my graphic novel collection. Throw those GNs in, and you're up to at least 50 more on top of the novels... it gives me a headache just thinking about it...
Old 01-14-2011, 01:05 PM   #27
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
I know what you mean...
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:17 PM   #28
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue T62+; Boyue Mimas; and my old Kindle Keyboard
Hello all. I am really looking forward to trying this book scanner. You can watch a youtube video of it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=annCmIa-a08

According to Engadget, the MSRP is set at $149 US and it will be available at Staples, Barnes & Noble, Office Depot in June.

I have been reading this forum for the last week or so even though I haven't purchased an e-book reader yet. I like the Kindle 3, but one of my biggest concerns is being able to read library books.

My other big issue is that I have amassed a huge library of physical books over the years. I almost never read them though because I have a lot of pain and weakness in my arms and it's just too painful to hold a book, even while I read in bed laying on my side.

I would love to be able to digitize my own books so I can finally read them.

Even if I had unlimited funds to repurchase books I've already bought (which I don't), the vast majority of my books are not available in e-format.

I was looking at the Vuepoint portable scanner that you have to move across the page. It's $99 US at BestBuy plus you have to buy a micro SD card to go with it. It seems like the Ion Book Saver might be a better option for me - easier to use and more consistent, reliable scans.

Much better than destroying them with a regular feed-type scanner IMO. I hate packing them up and transporting them when I move... but what would I put on my book shelves if I tore up all my books?
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:11 AM   #29
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
This is what I use. http://i56.tinypic.com/akd452.jpg
Tripod, 2 lights, something to prop the book on, and a sheet of glass for books that will open out flat. For books that will only open up 90 degrees you need to do alternate pages upside down. Takes about half an hour per hundred pages.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:39 AM   #30
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Quote:
Oh really? What for? Reading the books on the go and sharing with friends?

*No offense* That looks like a book pirate's desk.
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote