Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-16-2010, 02:15 AM   #1
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
650 and Audiobooks: a review

As a test, I dragged an Overdrive audiobook in mp3 format onto the storage card, to see how my reader would work doing "double duty": okay but not optimal.

The new album format displays each book under "audio" by thumbnail, followed by a list of parts (instead of music tracks) to tap. In one sense, it's set up better for books than music, in that the progress bar (time elapsed) isn't as important for a music track than for a book; for single-file (hours long) Net Library books, this feature would be even more useful; it did resume nicely where I'd left off.

Two things made me give up after an hour's listen.

1) The reader was just too bulky to work with listening on the bus, etc.

2) I found I developed a mental block against using it for both. I felt guilty that I wasn't reading an e-book instead, as that was what I paid $200 for ... I already have three perfectly good audio devices!

Battery remained at four bars, and I'd had some e-reading since the previous charge as well. I was slightly impressed as I'd thought there'd have been more drain.

That having been said, I do keep some spoken audio material on the storage card - just in case I find myself either not being able to, or wanting to, read print material.

I would recommend folks who aren't (as) familiar with audiobooks, and would like to try one, say at home, or at the end of the day on a trip, etc. check out the feature, before committing to buying an mp3 player.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:59 AM   #2
patomonk
Enthusiast
patomonk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.patomonk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.patomonk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.patomonk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.patomonk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-950
Thanks for the review!
patomonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2010, 02:54 AM   #3
injapan
Addict
injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11, Kobo Arua 2 and iPad Air 3
Thanks
injapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:32 AM   #4
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Glad you found it helpful.

Librivox public domain books would work especially well as they're divided into smaller chapters, generally well under an hour - just be sure to load the mp3 files, not the mp4b(?) masterfiles of the complete book, which I don't think would work.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:05 PM   #5
catsknit
Addict
catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung tablet, Kobo Libra, InkPad 3 Pro
Talking

My sony 650 is wrapped under the tree waiting until Dec 25 so I can't check this myself. Can you play an audiobook at the same time as having an e-book open, and does it slow down the page turns, etc.? The reason I ask is that I have a dyslexic son who uses audiobooks a lot for schoolwork, but I have him read along in the print book whenever possible. It would be great to have both on one device, esp b/c the e-reader text size can be increased, which is a plus for him.
catsknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2010, 11:52 PM   #6
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Glad you found it helpful.
Librivox public domain books would work especially well as they're divided into smaller chapters, generally well under an hour - just be sure to load the mp3 files, not the mp4b(?) masterfiles of the complete book, which I don't think would work.
Thanks for the review, SeaBookGuy! The info on battery was helpful. Also thanks for the tip on librivox. I just looked up their website. Do you recommend this website? Are the books pleasing to the ear and well narrated? I typically get my audiobooks from my local eLibrary.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:12 AM   #7
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsknit View Post
My sony 650 is wrapped under the tree waiting until Dec 25 so I can't check this myself. Can you play an audiobook at the same time as having an e-book open, and does it slow down the page turns, etc.? The reason I ask is that I have a dyslexic son who uses audiobooks a lot for schoolwork, but I have him read along in the print book whenever possible. It would be great to have both on one device, esp b/c the e-reader text size can be increased, which is a plus for him.
Yes, you can listen to the book and read the text at the same time. I'm not sure whether it slows the page turns, but I'd highly doubt it. You must bear in mind that the Sony only plays mp3 (and AAC) format audio. In your case, I'd suggest a separate audio player, with his reading along on the e-reader. I recently got a Sansa Clip+ and love it, but I think the Fuze's larger display might be better for him to work with.

I've been into audiobooks for a long time, and have a fair amount of experience, so please don't hesitate to let me know if I can help you to fine tune that combination!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Thanks for the review, SeaBookGuy! The info on battery was helpful. Also thanks for the tip on librivox. I just looked up their website. Do you recommend this website? Are the books pleasing to the ear and well narrated? I typically get my audiobooks from my local eLibrary.

I have tried listening to a librivox novel once, and gave up not because of the reading, but the story just wasn't what I'd hoped for (Mr Sponge's Sporting Tour by R. S. Surtees). I have another of theirs all nicely formatted, ready to go on a trip that requires a longer book: Uncle Silas by Sheridan Lefanu -- which I'm confident I'll finish.

I'm not certain I'd use the Sony for a full-length book, although I could see reading part of LeFanu on it. Instead, I have some stories and a novella by Edith Wharton (mp3 format Overdrive audios), and the stories from James Joyce's collection "Dubliners" (ripped from CD's) on the Sony, for audio "quick fixes" as it were.

Last edited by SeaBookGuy; 12-24-2010 at 12:23 AM.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:46 PM   #8
catsknit
Addict
catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung tablet, Kobo Libra, InkPad 3 Pro
Thanks for clarifying that. I do listen to a lot of audiobooks myself and have a Sansa clip currently, which I love. My son has an iPod Nano he uses for audiobooks. We get most of our audiobooks either from Audible, Overdrive, netlibrary or ripped from CDs so all but the Audible are in mp3 format. I was just thinking having both the audio and text on one device might be less for him to keep up with on vacation, etc. At home he could still use both devices.

As far as Librivox, I've listened to a lot of their books with mixed results. They are all narrated by volunteers, and sometimes several different people do one book, b/c they work by chapters. So it can be hit or miss; you get some great readers and some not-so-great. But it's free, so you aren't losing anything by trying them. It's only books in the public domain, like project Gutenberg, but I read a lot of classics anyway so it's good for me.
catsknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 05:13 PM   #9
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

Please bear in mind that library books must be mp3 format to listen on a Sony -- no WMA's!