Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-05-2017, 11:55 AM   #25936
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
INext up: The Magic Casement by Dave Duncan. Fortuitously, the first in one of his fantasy series. I got them they were on special offer last year.

Looking like a slightly above average fantasy at present. Mediaeval to renaissance technology and some magic.
It was an enjoyable read, with some interesting characters and magic system.

But it's not a complete story. It ends in a cliff-hanger, and so I've gone straight onto the second in the series, Faery Lands Forlorn.

There seem to be four books in the series. If it's one very long story I'll probably just read straight through. (The four books add up to around 1200 pages, so it would be a doorstop, but not impossibly long if considered as a single volume.)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 11:58 AM   #25937
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Hmmm. Sitting unread in my Calibre. Perhaps I should reconsider that.
I've read it, but long enough ago that I don't have a rating or any note of exactly when I read it. Perhaps I should consider it a re-read. I do find BOLO stories interesting. And I vaguely remember this as one of Ringo's better works.
Advert
Old 06-05-2017, 05:31 PM   #25938
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Just finished "The Road to Damascus", by John Ringo and Linda Evans. I bought this in 2004 from Baen. I read it at the time and enjoyed it. On a re-read it has to be one of my all-time favourite SF novels.

Superb book. I can't recommend it highly enough. Do read it if you haven't done so.
Just got it!
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:56 AM   #25939
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Finished "Bonecrack" by Dick Francis. A quick and enjoyable read. An organised crime boss threatens the life of a training stable owner unless he takes his spoiled son on as an apprentice jockey and allows him to ride the favourite in the Derby. A somewhat improbable story, but great fun! Recommended. The title stems from the father's endearing habit of breaking the bones of those who cross him .

Last edited by HarryT; 06-07-2017 at 07:21 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 01:37 PM   #25940
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Finished All the Birds in the Sky; not as engaging as I had hoped, but then again, nothing s really catching my interest much lately.

Going to try Trading in Danger by Elizabeth Moon.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2017, 01:43 PM   #25941
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
Finished All the Birds in the Sky; not as engaging as I had hoped, but then again, nothing s really catching my interest much lately.

Going to try Trading in Danger by Elizabeth Moon.
I did not enjoy All the Birds in the Sky as much as many folks thought I would either. It felt too young-adult to me. This is not a drag on the book, but it just meant it was not for me. The characters felt a little flat, and I found myself just not caring.

I do enjoy all the Vatta books by Moon though, so good luck with that!
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 02:26 PM   #25942
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Picked up Festive in Death yesterday.
Finished it today.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 02:28 PM   #25943
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Picked up Festive in Death yesterday.
Finished it today.
The next book is Obsession in Death and it's really good.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 02:45 PM   #25944
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I did not enjoy All the Birds in the Sky as much as many folks thought I would either. It felt too young-adult to me. This is not a drag on the book, but it just meant it was not for me. The characters felt a little flat, and I found myself just not caring.

I do enjoy all the Vatta books by Moon though, so good luck with that!
Thanks. I do like me some Moon, so I am hopeful.

I don't know, Birds really just didn't suck me in, it was hard to really keep track of what was gong on at times... I found myself finding other things to do than read, but it wasn't so bad that I wanted to abandon it and go to something else.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:20 PM   #25945
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The next book is Obsession in Death and it's really good.
I will start looking in the thrift shops for it.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:26 AM   #25946
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
and so I've gone straight onto the second in the series, Faery Lands Forlorn.
And, as expected, it also ends mid-story, and I've gone straight on to the third, Perilous Seas.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:23 AM   #25947
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I will start looking in the thrift shops for it.
You could try to find it at the library via Overdrive.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 07:16 AM   #25948
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Last night I finished Margot Lee Shetterley's Hidden Figures: The Untold True Story of Four African-American Women Who Helped Launch Our Nation into Space. The book turned out to be a very interesting (and new to me) perspective of civil rights from the view of successful, educated, and employed women. As I understand it, the film took a few small episodes from the book and dramatized them for effect. As a teacher, lover of space and proponent of STEM in schools, I am better for having read it.

This morning, I finished Ron Rash's Serena. This book had more murder than any crime novel I've ever read. It was decidedly Southern and decidedly gothic. It was also an excellent read.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:00 AM   #25949
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You could try to find it at the library via Overdrive.
I don't have Overdrive but good tip.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:20 AM   #25950
Dngrsone
Almost legible

Quote:
I don't have Overdrive but good tip.
The question is whether your local library has Overdrive. I check out books from the library through my regular web browser, download them to the computer and then side-load to my device using Calibre.