Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-04-2023, 07:34 PM   #16
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Just a reminder that OP said graphic novel/comic and for that fixed layout EPUB 3 is 100% the correct choice. Reflowable would be a very bad experience in that case.

You could also make high quality PNGs of the images and try Kindle Comic Converter (it can make EPUBs despite the name) if you're having trouble with CSPs output.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 01:48 PM   #17
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
Just a reminder that OP said graphic novel/comic and for that fixed layout EPUB 3 is 100% the correct choice. Reflowable would be a very bad experience in that case.

You could also make high quality PNGs of the images and try Kindle Comic Converter (it can make EPUBs despite the name) if you're having trouble with CSPs output.
However since the OP mentioned creating an epub2 which does not support fixed layout. What he seems to be doing is trying to generate a full page image for each image. I would suggest using an svg wrapper for the images and dumping the viewport.

Code:
  <style type="text/css" title="override_css">
            @page {padding: 0; margin:0;}
            body { text-align: center; padding:0; margin: 0; }
        </style>
</head>

<body>
  <div>
    <svg version="1.1" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" width="100%" height="100%" viewBox="0 0 1000 1500" preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet"><image width="1000" height="1500" xlink:href="../Images/image000.jpeg"/></svg>
  </div>
Set the width and height to the correct values for the images and this should allow a maximum size image without having to play games.

Note that this snippet is set for a 1000x1500 image which will have a left/right border on an eInk 3x4 aspect ratio screen. A 1125x1500 image would fit the screen aspect ratio.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 05:17 PM   #18
TheFrog
TheFrog began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post

This got me close to a solution actually. I ran it through and it was accepted by Google, but now I have another problem where it will display two pages at once, shrinking the image down in portrait mode. I've blurred the contents of the book in the provided image(which shows it displaying two pages at once), but what I would like is that if only 1 full page was presented at a time. Is there any way to do that with KCC?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pagelayouterror.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	447.6 KB
ID:	201893  
TheFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 05:56 PM   #19
TheFrog
TheFrog began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
However since the OP mentioned creating an epub2 which does not support fixed layout. What he seems to be doing is trying to generate a full page image for each image. I would suggest using an svg wrapper for the images and dumping the viewport.

Code:
            @page {padding: 0; margin:0;}
            body { text-align: center; padding:0; margin: 0; }
        </style>
</head>

<body>
  <div>
    <svg version="1.1" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" width="100%" height="100%" viewBox="0 0 1000 1500" preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet"><image width="1000" height="1500" xlink:href="../Images/image000.jpeg"/></svg>
  </div>
Set the width and height to the correct values for the images and this should allow a maximum size image without having to play games.

Note that this snippet is set for a 1000x1500 image which will have a left/right border on an eInk 3x4 aspect ratio screen. A 1125x1500 image would fit the screen aspect ratio.
Thank you David, I'm not too familiar with where this would go. Would I put that in the navigation folder, the style.css, etc? If so, does it matter what bracket of code it goes in?
TheFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 07:06 PM   #20
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFrog View Post
Thank you David, I'm not too familiar with where this would go. Would I put that in the navigation folder, the style.css, etc? If so, does it matter what bracket of code it goes in?
This would be a html file so under text. The code is self contained so no CSS stylesheet is needed. Each text file would look similar to the one below. The changes needed would be to ensure the name of the graphics file (in this sample, image.jpeg) is changed to the name of the image file for the page and the width/height are changed in the places needed.

I've attached a simple ePub 3 file so you can take a look at the setup.

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
  "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en">
<head>
  <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8"/>
  <title>Image Testing</title>
            @page {padding: 0pt; margin:0pt}
            body { text-align: center; padding:0pt; margin: 0pt; }
        </style>
</head>

<body>
  <div>
    <svg version="1.1" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" width="100%" height="100%" viewBox="0 0 1000 1500" preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet"><image width="1000" height="1500" xlink:href="../Images/image.jpeg"/></svg>
  </div>
</body>
</html>
Attached Files
File Type: epub Image_Tester.epub (12.79 MB, 63 views)
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 08:25 PM   #21
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Does this eBook really need to be fixed layout? Given you want to sell it on an Android store, you are going to have a lot of problems as most eBook reader apps for Android won't work with it.

Fixed layout is a very limiting factor. If I bought an eBook that was fixed layout, I'd want my money back right away.
Graphic novels are rarely reflowable, Jon. Please focus on the request rather than pushing your anti-fixed-layout agenda.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote