Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2020, 11:44 PM   #1
MrSlow&Steady
Connoisseur
MrSlow&Steady began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I Have An Ebook That Constantly Refreshes Itself And It's Annoying

I don't usually go to this site a lot, forgive me if this is the wrong forum.

I have an ebook that for some reason constantly refreshes to the point everything goes back to 0% every time I plug my Kindle out of my laptop. Like every time, this one ebook for some reason disappears, then reappears as if it was a new ebook. It's frustrating because not only do I lose progress but since Kindle ebooks tend to lose their cover now I lose the cover. Every time I try to get the cover back I never could.

If this should be the Calibre section please let me know. For now I need help with an ongoing problem.
Old 11-05-2020, 05:25 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Where's the book from? What format is it?
Old 11-05-2020, 07:45 AM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I suggest connecting the Kindle to your computer and disconnecting it without calibre running to see whether or not calibre is a factor.

Restarting the Kindle might clear up the problem.

One particularly bad possibility is that contents of a Kindle reverting to an earlier state can be a sign of hardware failure in the the Kindle's internal storage. Hopefully that is not the case for you.
Old 11-05-2020, 03:42 PM   #4
MrSlow&Steady
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Where's the book from? What format is it?
[Deleted link to Russian web site that is blocked in the UK by order of the High Court for copyright infringement]

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I suggest connecting the Kindle to your computer and disconnecting it without calibre running to see whether or not calibre is a factor.

Restarting the Kindle might clear up the problem.

One particularly bad possibility is that contents of a Kindle reverting to an earlier state can be a sign of hardware failure in the the Kindle's internal storage. Hopefully that is not the case for you.
Did all of those and it failed.

Last edited by pdurrant; 11-06-2020 at 02:07 AM. Reason: deleted pirate site link
Old 11-05-2020, 03:55 PM   #5
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlow&Steady View Post
[Deleted link to Russian web site that is blocked in the UK by order of the High Court for copyright infringement]
Is that a bootleg site?

Last edited by pdurrant; 11-06-2020 at 02:07 AM.
Old 11-05-2020, 04:34 PM   #6
MrSlow&Steady
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
Is that a bootleg site?
Uh, maybe? Not the usual kind if it is.
Old 11-05-2020, 04:50 PM   #7
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Bootleg might not be the right word, but there are many books there that are not free on legit selling sites. All the books offered on LibGen are free downloads.
Old 11-05-2020, 08:53 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
Is that a bootleg site?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlow&Steady View Post
Uh, maybe? Not the usual kind if it is.
Ummm... it is a bootleg aka pirate site. Look at it's mirror sites such as libgen.lc and libgen.pw as a rather strong indicator.

Not to mention that when I look at the books available, the first book in the Forensics section is Forensic Examination of Glass and Paint: Analysis and Interpretation edited by Brian Caddy which is on Amazon.ca for $218.70 for the Kindle edition. Moving on to fiction, I did some quick searches. Somehow I doubt authors such as Larry Niven, Stephen King, Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett or even Nora Roberts who has been rather vigilant about protecting her rights, gave them the right to distribute what appears to be most of their books for free.

So I would suggest not asking at MobileRead for help with pirated ebooks.

Though I will have to admit that I found their site policies rather humourous.

Quote:
1. Goals, Priorities, and Affiliation of LG
1.1. Collection, systematization and distribution of scientific, technical and educational literature on a free and open basis.
1.2. LG is made by people and belongs to the people.
1.3. The goals are to create and improve, avoiding uncontrollable states, with constructive mind to help the society overcome barriers. The goal is not to destroy anything.
1.4. The goals of the community override the goals of its members.
1.5. Survival of LG is a priority.

2. Prohibitions
2.1. Profit.
2.2. Disclosure or exchange of personal information, disclosure of access credentials or other identifying details.
2.3. Transfer of assets explicitly affiliated with LG, disclosure of critical LG data, their destruction, or modification of access to them, outreach on behalf of the LG community by others than the Management Council.
2.4. Activities that defame LG’s principles, intentionally misleading information, and activities directly aimed at destruction in the broadest sense.
2.5. Individualism in decision-making (violates the fundamental principle of collectivity of Library Genesis, leading to a completely different type of system: centralized, closed and, as a result, non-self-organizing, and to radically different dynamics).
2.6. Usurpation of power, access, or developments under the auspices of LG, misuse of LG assets, manipulation of the community engaged in LG, misleading of it, substitution of goals, priorities, affiliation, falsification of history.
2.7. Commit actions based on opinions with insufficient scientific reasoning.
Old 11-06-2020, 02:08 AM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Help with pirated books is not given on MobileRead. Thread closed.
Closed Thread

Tags
ebook, glitch, kindle