Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-12-2007, 12:01 AM   #61
Stephen Cole
Stephen Cole will become famous soon enoughStephen Cole will become famous soon enoughStephen Cole will become famous soon enoughStephen Cole will become famous soon enoughStephen Cole will become famous soon enoughStephen Cole will become famous soon enoughStephen Cole will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy S7
Dymocks picks iLiad as e-reader choice

News just in from the Weekly Book Newsletter (by subscription)

Having announced a major foray into electronic books last month, Dymocks will now be the first retailer in Australia to sell the iLiad e-book reader, with plans to have it on sale both in the chain's flagship George Street, Sydney, store and online from today, Wednesday 12 December 2007...

No mention of price.

Cheers,

Stephen
Stephen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:42 AM   #62
adinb
RSS & Gadget Addict!
adinb is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-500, iPod Touch, iPhone
this app is *dying* for an iphone version -- the text is fairly readable as-is, it just needs larger page forward/back navigation for when it gets scaled down on the itouch/iphone.
adinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 02:05 AM   #63
Socrates
Socrates began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
Iliad at Dymocks - some further back ground

I've been watching this thread with interest for a several days. I was always going to buy an Iliad, a local purchase makes sense to me.

Price is AUD899, there are 30 units in the Dymocks George St store and at the moment they only have the US plug available, Australian plugs will be arriving soon and will be shipped FOC to customers who have already bought a unit.

Sorry make that 29 units - I've got one of them in front of me now.

Soc

Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 02:21 AM   #64
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
I've been watching this thread with interest for a several days. I was always going to buy an Iliad, a local purchase makes sense to me.

Price is AUD899, there are 30 units in the Dymocks George St store and at the moment they only have the US plug available, Australian plugs will be arriving soon and will be shipped FOC to customers who have already bought a unit.

Soc

Enjoy your new toy Socrates and the US plug is not an issue, grab an AUS/US adapter for a few dollars
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 02:49 AM   #65
Dajala
Enthusiast
Dajala began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX, Sony PRS-505
I'm really disappointed that Dymocks imported the iLiad.

The only ebook reader to be sold in Australia and they import a device that stands no chance of helping develop our local market because it is too expensive. Others will watch it fail and not bother.

I've ordered my Sony PRS505 from the good folks at B&H.
Dajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 03:11 AM   #66
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
I wasn't always going to buy an Iliad, and so the price excess just put me off on principle. If it came down to $800 delivered or less, I'd probably have put my money down. Saying that, it was the "local purchase" item that "made sense to me" too.

Quote:

Well La-di-da! Aren't you the special one?!

I hope you really like it. It looks to me a really likable device. I hope it brings you a lot of pleasure and I honestly hope it's a success for (damned!) Dymocks, if only to bring more of the market down this way.

Congratulations. Have enormous fun and be sure to tell us about it.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 05:11 AM   #67
GregS
Zealot
GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ Reader 5", Iliad
Socrates just emailed them asking about interstate ordering and price. Now I have to convince my wife that this is essential to all our future happiness. That we have to get it immediately because there are such limited numbers.

I walk bravely before the lioness, I doubt I will possess my head by tomorrow.

Like you I have being eying the Iliad, rocketing between one another device as I tried to make up my mind - my last vow was to buy whatever arrived on our shores.

It is big outlay for a teacher's wage.
GregS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 05:22 AM   #68
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS View Post
Socrates just emailed them asking about interstate ordering and price. Now I have to convince my wife that this is essential to all our future happiness. That we have to get it immediately because there are such limited numbers.

I walk bravely before the lioness, I doubt I will possess my head by tomorrow.

Like you I have being eying the Iliad, rocketing between one another device as I tried to make up my mind - my last vow was to buy whatever arrived on our shores.

It is big outlay for a teacher's wage.
Greg, I bought my Iliad back in July. Absolutely love it, however my hubby is still not aware of what I paid for it.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:48 PM   #69
Socrates
Socrates began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
Patience a virtue?

It will be a while before I report back. This was a Christmas/ Birthday gift that has been put on ice until the 25th, it's now been hidden somewhere by Santas little helper.

The Iliad is expensive but if you take some time to browse the developers area it's obvious that it's functionality is not limited by the manufacturer. Here in Australia we've got an early adoption crisis going on but third party applications for the Iliad are being written all around the world.

I will be posting on all of the above when I've got something to say. (Incidently I glimpsed another post just now Dymocks is down to 28 at the most!)

Soc
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote