Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-13-2010, 09:39 AM   #46
jdarnold
jdarnold began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But what if you want to use it away from home? That's when I make most use of 3G; I don't need to use it at home.
I don't need coverage at all away from home. I just use my Nook for reading (and the browser doesn't work in 3g mode anyway), so I have no need for connectivity in most cases, even while at home, although I do get The Nation deliever bi-weekly.
jdarnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:10 AM   #47
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I ordered the wifi only K3 because I just don't see myself buying books anywhere but here at home where I work. But for the flexibility, I almost wish I'd spent the extra money.
L.J.
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:02 AM   #48
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.J. Sellers View Post
I ordered the wifi only K3 because I just don't see myself buying books anywhere but here at home where I work. But for the flexibility, I almost wish I'd spent the extra money.
L.J.
I've had my K2 since Feb 2009, and I've only used the 3G outside my home a couple times. It IS really nice to be able to use it in a pinch to look up directions somewhere, or someones phone number in my email. But the web browsing is slow, and if you have a phone that has web access you probably won't use the Kindle for that purpose.

I typically buy my books from my computer and then just turn on the wireless to download the book, and I'm usually in my house or at work when I do that. So it's wifi-only version for me, and I'll just add my home and work network to my K3 so I can still download books.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:12 AM   #49
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
I was camping on the South coast of England last week but I needed to check my emails as my mothers rather ill and I was also waiting to hear about a possible new job out in Geneva. The 3G allowed me check my emails regularly in between reading and without hunting around for internet cafes etc. I ended up accepting my new job using the Kindle while sitting on Chesil Beach:
I like 3G
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:27 AM   #50
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
For me, the 3G is unnecessary. Like others I don't order books via my nook and don't use any of the other features on the nook except the reader. When I'm on vacation - I don't check email, voicemail, etc... The computer stays at home and the cell phone stays off. I know I'm going so I have time to load books in advance. It's not like all of a sudden I wake up and I'm on vacation at a beach.

I have plenty of books already loaded that if something is disappointing, I can move on to a new book. I could easily live with usb only.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:17 AM   #51
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
The thread is long enough now, I don't know if the original poster has purchased yet. Sorry, I only read part of the first page and pg. 4.

I have a K2 with 3G. I use it all the time, just because I have it, not because I need it. I have WiFi at work. With me, it is funny how it works. I have probably 40 books I downloaded and didn't read, mostly freebies. The freebies are classics, which are harder to read, so I only read them occasionally.

So what happens is I finish reading the book on the train, and want to start the next book. I look through my library for something to read, and usually don't find something that strikes my fancy. So I download the next one on 3G.

If your reading patterns are different, such that you'll know you have something you're going to read next, or you are always near WiFi or a computer, by all means, save the money and get the WiFi only version.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote