Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-12-2010, 01:29 PM   #1
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
What's won what

I've recently added a new column in Calibre to identify which of my ebooks have won awards. I generally know if books I'm adding to my library have won awards, but I'm wondering about many that I've had for quite some time.

Does anyone know of a website where one can input a book title and immediately see if it has won any awards?
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:32 AM   #2
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
I'm afraid, Ccowie, that I have always found this to be a matter of individually researching the relevant title and/or the author or by going to a specific award's archives for the possible year/s of a book's win date. It's a chore, but made all the easier with internet. If there is a website such as that you describe, I've never come across it -- but would love to. Good luck and best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:35 AM   #3
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx, Windows7, Galaxy A5
http://www.locusmag.com/SFAwards/index.html
is one that lists awards for SF
travger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:58 AM   #4
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Many thanks for the link Travger. It certainly narrows down the search options, at least in one genre. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:16 AM   #5
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
I could have sworn that librarything had that info, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be the case. I think you can usually find it through tags, but they may not be 100% reliable...
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:14 AM   #6
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I switched off the tag dl. I collected almost more tags than books (well, I'm only starting, so the book count in the library is yet low). But I do not want to search 'Hugo' and 'Science Fiction' among 60-odd unnessessary (like 'contemporary', 'SF-Fantasy', 'SF-somethingelse') tags.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:39 AM   #7
travger
Evangelist

Special coloumn is nice, but is there a way to see all the awards for specific author at a glance? I probably never will have all of Poul Anderson (for example). He has:

Career Awards: SFWA Grand Master, SF Hall of Fame Living Inductee, Prometheus lifetime achievement, Skylark
Winner of 7 Hugos, 3 Nebulas, 1 Campbell Memorial Award, 1 Locus Award, 1 British Fantasy Award, 1 Seiun, 1 Mythopoeic, 4 Prometheus Awards, 1 Gandalf
+ nominations - 15xHugo, 12xNebula...

It would be nice if I could see it without much scrolling.
Probably have to stick it into comments area; summary goes farther and farther...
Old 08-13-2010, 08:38 AM   #8
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by travger View Post
Special coloumn is nice, but is there a way to see all the awards for specific author at a glance? I probably never will have all of Poul Anderson (for example). He has:

Career Awards: SFWA Grand Master, SF Hall of Fame Living Inductee, Prometheus lifetime achievement, Skylark
Winner of 7 Hugos, 3 Nebulas, 1 Campbell Memorial Award, 1 Locus Award, 1 British Fantasy Award, 1 Seiun, 1 Mythopoeic, 4 Prometheus Awards, 1 Gandalf
+ nominations - 15xHugo, 12xNebula...

It would be nice if I could see it without much scrolling.
Probably have to stick it into comments area; summary goes farther and farther...
Fantastic Fiction lists the awards won by the author at the end of their listing - see this link for Poul Anderson and scroll to the bottom: http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/a/poul-anderson/
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:52 AM   #9
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
For some reason the easiest awards to get listings of Sci Fi and Fantasy. That's somewhat helpful to me because I do have a lot of Sci Fi.
The Giller prize (I'm Canadian) has a good site as well and so do others like Man Booker, Governor General, Pulitzer, etc. But I still fantasize about one site that would try to list as many prizes and indicate winners and nominees for each year and category. Being able to search by author would also be real nice.
Perhaps there is a public Library site out there that's attempting it. Let me know if anyone happens upon such a find.
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote