Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you finish every book you start reading?
Yes, I finish every book I start reading 30 28.30%
No, I do not always finish every book I read. (please explain) 76 71.70%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-07-2010, 06:31 PM   #46
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
I usually finish most books I start even if I'm not enjoying them.

Occasionally I'll be reading a book when a book or books I've been looking forward to become available. So I start on the new book/s and sometimes I just never make it back.

A couple of years ago I started keeping a list of every book I bought in my phone and marking them off when I read them. There's a LOT still to be read. If I never bought another book I think I'd have enough to last me for the rest of my life.
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:36 PM   #47
eric11210
Addict
eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
I voted no, but when I think about it, it is rare that I start reading a book I don't finish. Typically, if I make it past the first few pages, I'll keep reading because I want to know how it comes out. If the first few pages bore me, it goes back onto a virtual shelf (well, really a real shelf since I only recently got a reader).

Eric
eric11210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:58 PM   #48
kcmay
Addict
kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2
I voted no. If a book doesn't seem like it's going anywhere or is poorly written/edited and I can't take it anymore, I'll abandon it. That said, there are books I didn't enjoy that I read to the end, hoping that they'd redeem themselves. Empress by Karen Miller was one of those. I've no interest in reading the other books in the series.
kcmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 02:43 PM   #49
hgwlackey
Zealot
hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle Touch, HTC Thunderbolt
While I start every book hoping that we will enjoy our time together, it doesn't always turn out to be the case. Sometimes we have to go our separate ways.
hgwlackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:42 PM   #50
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I just added a new 'status' tag to Calibre. 1 star means the book was read, 2 stars means it was read in paper and will be re-read later, and 3 stars means I didn't finish it. Now, no more guilt. Library books and freebies can be deleted, but now I have a way to deal with paid-for books.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:59 PM   #51
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
To paraphrase my mom: "Life's too short to read bad books!"

Before getting an ereader, I was picky in choosing either purchased books or library books (before I lugged library books back and forth - I wanted to be doubly sure I'd read them ... they're heavy!).

Now that I have an ereader (and a 125+ To Be Read "pile" - that never seems to get shorter), I no longer have to worry about running out of books to read.

So, if a book doesn't catch my interest, I'll dump it and move on to another, whether its free, paid for or a library book.

And, I'm definitely not very discriminatory in downloading free e-books. If it sounds remotely interesting, I'll download it (hence, the big TBR list). Then, when I get to it, I'll either enjoy it or "throw it away." Guilt-free.

I don't throw them away though - still can't do that, even with e-books. Paper books I keep (for library/garage sales); e-books get archived in Calibre.

Just can't throw them out - even if I only read the first chapter...

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:41 AM   #52
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
When I was a kid it was a point of pride with me to finish every book I started.

Even the complete pieces of dreck.

Then I tried to read the Bible. That put a stop to that. It wasn't very many pages in that I got so angry for poor Hagar that I--didn't quite throw the book across the room (it was a *book*; only barbarians would damage a *book*). But I slammed it shut, slapped it down on a shelf and didn't read another word of it for years.

It still makes me mad to think of it.

Since then I've gotten a lot less focused on finishing every book I start. Especially now that I read e-books, since the freebie e-books mean I end up with a lot of stuff that's outside my usual genres. Sure I'll give them a try, but if I don't like them, I don't see the point of dragging myself through them. Reading is supposed to be fun.

And every now and then I'll run into something that's just *so* offensive (torture scenes are a real sore point, or books where female characters are just caricatures, there to be strings to get the real people moving) that I'm not interested in subjecting myself to any more of that.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:04 AM   #53
LCF
Wizard
LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanlin V3 (LBook), GS3
Not always. Sometimes a boring book, sometimes there isn't enough time. Once because it was the seventh book of the Dark Tower sequence
LCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:17 PM   #54
mjhudston
All round good egg
mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Apple Ipad 3rd Generation
depends if a book grabs me. When I read about a boy, I read it one sitting. others I struggle to get into, and eventually put down, and don't bother again.
mjhudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:53 PM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I don't stop too many books. But if a book is really dreadful (IMHO), I will stop for sure.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:01 PM   #56
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
you know Jon, for someone who fusses so much about there being duplicate threads about topics, I'm amazed that you started a duplicate thread just because you didn't like the way the other poll was phrased.

so, duplicate thread, duplicate answer;

it took a long time but I finally learned how to give myself permission to walk away from a book. somehow I grew up with this onus of "once started, must finish". the Seattle NPR station does a weekly (?) show with the main librarian from the Seattle public library where she gives book suggestions. oddly enough (and this was pre e-book for me), it was a comment from her that finally sealed the deal. it was along the lines of; "there is no reason to put yourself through the misery of reading a book that is supposed to be for entertainment and you simply do not enjoy it. put it down, find something else." since then it has been a LOT easier to walk away from some. I still try to give them a bit of a chance, but can now walk away. unless I figure out I've been duped into a romance. then it's dropped like a hot potato!
Old 08-12-2010, 05:52 PM   #57
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
I'm an outlier here, rarely buying books, and only finishing maybe one of four of the many books I take out of local libraries. Some I barely start, and a lot I abandon after a couple chapters. And I don't think I have ever read an eBook that wasn't from Project Gutenberg.

One reason I'm different is that I mostly read non-fiction. With one of my few favorite fiction authors (Richard Russo, Archer Mayor, Anthony Trollope, Brontës), I'm sure to finish.

If it is really true that Amazon losses money on $9.99 books (http://www.teleread.com/2009/05/13/a...n-999-e-books/), I guess it is good news for them that I ordered the Kindle 3.

Ordering the Kindle 3 was a luxury move totally not like me. Usually I would wait until a used discontinued model costs little, which is what I did with PDA's.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote