Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-16-2010, 10:35 PM   #151
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@ubuntutech: We must have posted at nearly the exact same moment, I was answering Beerbaron .

But to answer your question, yes, it'll work on a DX G, but via USB, since there's no WiFi module in the DXG .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:49 AM   #152
Beerbaron
Beerbaron began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Any idea if connecting to the 3G is possible?

I have tried the same method to connect to the interface ppp0 however this doesnt appear to work.
Beerbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2010, 01:10 PM   #153
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Beerbaron: No. And it's most likely against Amazon's TOS anyway.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:24 PM   #154
Beerbaron

I have read there are ways to connect to 3g that involve changing the APN to try and get a real public ip address. Might be quite difficult to do.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:55 AM   #155
Beerbaron

@NiLuJe: How do i view the syntax for the hack (.bin) files? You mentioned you could do this in an earlier post.

Thanks.
Advert
Old 11-22-2010, 01:07 PM   #156
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Beerbaron:

Code:
iptables -A INPUT -i wlan0 -p tcp --dport ssh -j ACCEPT
Old 11-22-2010, 05:05 PM   #157
Beerbaron

I thought you meant i could view all the code within the .bin files. I have sorted all the iptables.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:33 PM   #158
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Beerbaron:

You can, of course (everything's in the src folder of the archive), but I was specifically referring to the iptables cmdline syntax used in the hack .
Old 11-25-2010, 04:17 AM   #159
yahro
yahro began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
can ping, can't telnet

Hi,

went through all steps, but at the end can ping, but can't telnet, I'm getting:

telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused

I'm sure it's kindle I'm pinging, because when I disconnect it, the pings stop working.

Any ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzwind View Post
Linux/Ubuntu:

I took steps up to 7 and when disi! spoke about windows I started to investigate myself. I did the following (maybe someone could tell me if I did some unnecesary steps!!):

sudo ifconfig usb0 192.168.2.2

You can check the result with:

lsusb | grep RNDIS

This should show something like:
Bus 008 Device 002: ID 0525:a4a2 Netchip Technology, Inc. Linux-USB Ethernet/RNDIS Gadget

Now you should be able to ping your kindle with:

ping 192.168.2.2

and ...
telnet 192.168.2.2 now gives me...

Trying 192.168.2.2...
Connected to 192.168.2.2.
Escape character is '^]'.

Welcome to Kindle!

#################################################
# N O T I C E * N O T I C E * N O T I C E #
Rootfs is mounted read-only. Invoke mntroot rw to
switch back to a writable rootfs.
[root@kindle root]# uname -a
Linux kindle 2.6.26-rt-lab126 #5 Wed Sep 15 19:25:13 PDT 2010 armv6l unknown
[root@kindle root]#
yahro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:40 AM   #160
VerizonLover
VerizonLover began at the beginning.

Red face Re: tethering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerbaron View Post
Any idea if connecting to the 3G is possible?

I have tried the same method to connect to the interface ppp0 however this doesnt appear to work.
Well, you could jailbreak it, install the usbnetwork hack, then setup an iptables rule to pass all incoming traffic from the usb interface to the PPP (wan) interface and vice-versa for outgoing. But as others have said, it would probably cause a flag to be raised at Amazon...

Or even better, just tether your phone (you have unlimited data on you phone, right? On Android phones, there are a variety of ways to tether without incuring additional charges (like enabling bluetooth and tethering for free on Verizon). You just have to watch that 5GB cap (the 'My Verizon' app is useful for that).
VerizonLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 01:56 PM   #161
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Telnet isn't enabled over WiFi with the default USBnetwork package, because there's *zero* security (it's a plaintext protocol, and it's a direct passwordless root login).

It should work over USB, though.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:35 PM   #162
Beerbaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsonZA View Post
I can confirm that the VNC server works on the standard port 5900. I started it up from an ssh shell as follows: /usr/sbin/ufbvncd -d

The -d switch puts in daemon or background mode. I haven't tried with the ENABLE_VNC file in /mnt/us/

Keyboard input doesn't seem to work. You can just see a mirror of what is happening on the Kindle's screen.

Thanks to ecostin and NiLuJe for all their efforts.
I have the vnc daemon working fine but wondered what this file actually does?

ufbvncd.gz

What version of vnc server is this?
Old 12-01-2010, 05:20 PM   #163
mnwcsult
I love technology
mnwcsult began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3g
@NiLuJe

What is necessary to have a small development environment on a Kindle. I was looking at tcc, and also saw kindle-x.tc but parts seem to be missing or I just misread soemthing.

I am very skilled in developing on Linux, but just got my Kindle and I am very impressed with it.

Any guidance or pointers a= b->c in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by mnwcsult; 12-01-2010 at 05:21 PM. Reason: spelling
mnwcsult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:34 PM   #164
kindle3zeng
Enthusiast
kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: kindle 3wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwcsult View Post
@NiLuJe

What is necessary to have a small development environment on a Kindle. I was looking at tcc, and also saw kindle-x.tc but parts seem to be missing or I just misread soemthing.

I am very skilled in developing on Linux, but just got my Kindle and I am very impressed with it.

Any guidance or pointers a= b->c in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
I would suggest using Qemu and an arm port of Ubuntu.
I followed the instructions here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/RootfsFromScratch, the programs compiled for this platform is basically compatible with kindle, except different glibc version. I installed python to my kindle, well, I just copied python from Ubuntu arm port to my kindle, and it worked, at least for my limited tests.
kindle3zeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:27 PM   #165
mnwcsult
I love technology
mnwcsult began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3g
@kindle3zeng

Thank you for the pointer.
mnwcsult is offline   Reply With Quote