Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-02-2006, 01:10 PM   #1
jimbobuk
jimbobuk began at the beginning.

Using the sony reader outside of the US

What are people's experiences of using their sony readers outside of the US.. not on a trip, but actually living outside of the US.

Obviously its not meant to be available, a few lucky folks have managed to secure some though i guess.. what have they been able to do with their books so far.. can they buy books from some ebook sellers and use them ok on their books.. I take it the sony store wont accept international users to buy the books from them?

It can take a variety of formats is this what most international users have been trying.. does this only include free content, or as i said have you been able to buy some ebooks from other sellers internationally and successfully read them on your reader?

Cheers

Jim
jimbobuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 01:22 PM   #2
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
I used up the $50,- promotional offer but at the moment I'm not going to look for a way to buy more through the connect store. Their offer is limited and the books are not formatted in the way I would like. For example the margins are way too big. I know that several people here on the forum are willing to buy gift certificates from the connect store for the people that live outside the US.

I have several sources for my ebooks and most of them come in either HTML or DOC format. Right now I convert all to RTF. So getting the books I want is not a problem.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2006, 01:45 PM   #3
jimbobuk

so if you can get hold of vouchers (or the free one you get with the reader) you CAN actually buy ebooks to download when NOT in the US.

Strange how they're not formatted perfectly for the device if they're being sold specifically for Sony devices.

What sites will also sell books in different formats that the sony could manage to work with, or be converted to work that way.

The sony doesn't work with encrypted pdfs at the moment either does it?

Its all a bit confusing.. I really like the idea of the concept, it sounds like it could be good enough with this type of reader, i think when the price really drops and content both brought, and converted yourself is readily available at a saving compared to a paper book then it could really explode.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:47 PM   #4
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
I used up the free credit then bought a gift card from Leaping Gnome and I'm quite happily spending that as well now.
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 01:55 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
My interest is in free Gutenberg books and stuff downloaded from Usenet, so personally I'm not bothered in the slightest about not being able to use the Connect store, other than with gift certificates. I create my own content as RTF.

No problem at all either to buy a Reader (I bought mine from eBay), or to use it. The charger is a generic 100-250v one, so works fine in Europe.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2006, 02:04 PM   #6
jimbobuk

Thanks for the input guys.. good to see people having success with it.. I'm interested in all ranges of books but I will have to have the ability to get contempory fiction on there for it to appeal to family members.

I've only just registered ultima8fury, is Leaping Gnome a user on here?

If you have cards brought for you, is it sufficient to just get the codes and add them in?

So initial registering of the product on a website? (got a link for that?) it has no problem with you putting in a UK address?

Good to know the charger is standard too.. does it have a detachable mini kettle lead which presumably comes with a US plug on the end so you could easily replace it with a UK pin-ed one, or do you just use a shaver adapter type adapter to get it connected to the the socket?
Old 12-02-2006, 02:19 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's a detachable "figure 8" type of connector - the type you get on things like radios - so it's easy to replace it with a UK power cable. You could use a plug adaptor, of course, but just replacing the cable is easier.

To be honest, though, the easiest way to keep it charged is just to connect it to the PC every week or so - it charges via USB. Half an hour a week plugged in is more than enough to keep it fully charged.

You register it via the supplied "Connect" software. No problem to register it outside the US.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 03:15 PM   #8
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobuk
I've only just registered ultima8fury, is Leaping Gnome a user on here?

If you have cards brought for you, is it sufficient to just get the codes and add them in?
Hi, that's me. Yeah, I've bought gift cards for a bunch of our non-US members. Once you get everything setup if you want a giftcard for the Connect store just send me a PM and I'll be happy to do a paypal exchange with you. When I buy the giftcard for you through the Connect store, it sends the giftcode to your email address and you redeem that code through the store.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 04:00 PM   #9
jimbobuk

thanks guys..

Harry, I call that a mini-kettle lead.. with a kettle lead being the kind for kettle's obviously, and also things like your computer's PSU.. great that it has one as you're right its so easy to find replacements.. and also i have so many devices with the same plug you could just plug into one of them.

Leaping Gnome, thanks for saying Hi.. if I manage to get one I'll definitely be in touch. I just wish the world was more of a community from the manufacturers themselves.. I'm sick of regions in my computer games, movies, and other goods. Market to the world and sell to the world.. its getting that way, its got to surely head completely that way as more and more things go online.

Thanks again.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:33 PM   #10
jsuplido
@jsuplido
jsuplido began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaping Gnome
Hi, that's me. Yeah, I've bought gift cards for a bunch of our non-US members. Once you get everything setup if you want a giftcard for the Connect store just send me a PM and I'll be happy to do a paypal exchange with you. When I buy the giftcard for you through the Connect store, it sends the giftcode to your email address and you redeem that code through the store.
Strangely, Guam (and other US territories I assume) are not recognized by Sony. So I went to search for people willing to "gift" me.

I'm another Leaping Gnome'r ... the transaction went smoothly and fast too.
jsuplido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 08:26 PM   #11
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
The books on the Sony site are formatted very well and have a very clean look. They could use less of a margin. I think what diabloNL was saying was that for his tastes he would like a few more words on each screen and a little less white space around the page. I have no problem with the presentation of the Sony formatted books and find them easy to read.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 10:06 PM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Strange how they're not formatted perfectly for the device if they're being sold specifically for Sony devices.
Well, it's more a matter of different ideas of what 'perfect' would be, that is to say, as RWood commented, a matter of preference.

Quote:
What sites will also sell books in different formats that the sony could manage to work with, or be converted to work that way.
One that I know of is the RTF files from Baen Publishing's site (if you like SciFi & MilSciFi): http://www.webscriptions.net -- we're also hoping that http://www.fictionwise.com might offers some of their listings, but not yet.

Quote:
The sony doesn't work with encrypted pdfs at the moment either does it?
Nope, PDF files that are A4 size tend to display way too small to read, for that matter. RTF is generally held to be the best format for the nonce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
You register it via the supplied "Connect" software. No problem to register it outside the US.
Yup, you just have to tell the software that you're in the US, and don't ever give it credit card info.

Quote:
I just wish the world was more of a community from the manufacturers themselves.. I'm sick of regions in my computer games, movies, and other goods. Market to the world and sell to the world.. its getting that way, its got to surely head completely that way as more and more things go online.
I hear you. In this case, it seems to be a matter of book distribution rights holding things up.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 04:32 AM   #13
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood
The books on the Sony site are formatted very well and have a very clean look. They could use less of a margin. I think what diabloNL was saying was that for his tastes he would like a few more words on each screen and a little less white space around the page. I have no problem with the presentation of the Sony formatted books and find them easy to read.
That's exactly what I meant. I think it's a waste of screenspace to have this big margins. In that way they could have made the reader even smaller. I would like to see that they use more of the screen that's available. That will result in less pageturns and longer battery life. But like said before it's a matter of taste.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 12:32 PM   #14
jimbobuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Yup, you just have to tell the software that you're in the US, and don't ever give it credit card info.
How much do you tell it that you're in the US.. do you have to give a full address.. can't it spot a non-existing one.. anyone give a rough outline on what they did in this regard?

Cheers

Jim
Old 12-03-2006, 02:40 PM   #15
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
It's a tick box during the Connect Software installation, something along the lines of: "□ I live in the United States" -- you just check it off.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote