Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-30-2009, 08:26 PM   #1
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Odd line/paragraph breaks in epub and FB2?

Hi,

I'm using WinXP with Calibre 0.6.5

When converting PDF's to epub or FB2 I keep getting some odd line breaks.

For example...

"They were

predators, vicious destroyers. And they scared

the living hell out of me."

There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to why, when and where these odd line breaks will occur.

When I use PDF Transformer to convert the PDF to RTF this doesn't happen. However, I don't like the way RTF looks on the BeBook.

When I try using Calibre to convert the RTF into epub or FB2 the result is unusable with lines overlapping each other and even more odd line breaks. I've also tried using PDF Transformer to convert the PDF to HTML and then Calibre to convert from HTML to epub and FB2 but the same problem with overlapping lines and more line breaks occur.

So any suggestions on why this might be happening and what I might be able to do to fix it? I much prefer the epub and FB2 formats overall.

Cheers,
PKFFW

Last edited by PKFFW; 09-30-2009 at 08:30 PM.
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:24 AM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Try decreasing the unwrap factor option. PDFs do not specify what paragraph a line is part of so some guess work is used. The unwraping code uses the factor to determine at what length (it is dependent on the file itself) a line will be joined to previous lines to form a paragraph.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2009, 06:52 AM   #3
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the advice. Could you please tell me how to do that?

edit: Just found out how to do it. Currently set on 0.50........so any suggestions on what to try or just to gradually decrease it until the epub conversions look right?

Cheers,
PKFFW
Old 10-01-2009, 07:22 AM   #4
PKFFW
Wizard

Well I just tried your advice user_none.

I first tried lowering it to 0.25, then 0.35 and then 0.45. Each time I came out with a file that had extremely small font when displayed using the Calibre epub viewer. I had to increase the font size about 3 times to get it to a size where it was legible. Each file looked good though, with no odd line breaks that I could find.

Problem is, when I load it onto my BeBook I can't change the font size. The font is so small as to be completely unreadable.

So then I tried converting it with the unwrap factor set back to 0.50 and for some reason I again get a file where I can't change the font size. This has never happened before.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
PKFFW
Old 10-01-2009, 07:49 AM   #5
PKFFW
Wizard

Update......

I updated to version 0.6.14 and that seems to have fixed the problem.

Unwrap factor is 0.45 and so far my epubs have come out with none of the odd line breaks I have had in previous conversions and fonts can be changed easily.

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers,
PKFFW
Advert