Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-18-2009, 12:32 PM   #61
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Device: P990i, PRS 505
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Kindles delete content automatically as a matter of routine. Eg, if you subscribe to a newspaper on the Kindle, every issue more than a certain number of days old is automatically deleted.
Thank you for providing me with yet another reason not to buy Kindle. I like to decide for myself when to delete content.

Martin
krischik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:36 PM   #62
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And why do you have a Kindle if you don't want Amazon to be able to get inside?
I don't have a Kindle.

These threads are just reinforcement for my decision not to buy one.
Advert
Old 07-18-2009, 12:39 PM   #63
krischik
Addict

Thumbs down

Quote:
Why would you want Amazon to leave illegal content on your Kindle if they discovered that it had been illegally uploaded?
I answered that already.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:56 PM   #64
megacoupe
Connoisseur
megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I find it disturbing that there are people in this thread actually defending Amazon's actions.

Regardless of the copyright situation of the book in question, once you have purchased a copy of it, no one has the right to take it away from you. If I purchased a hardcopy of a book before a copyright issue came up for it, the hardcopy remains my rightfully purchased property. There is nothing illegal about my owning it and no retailer can take my copy away from me forcefully. Amazon believes they can.
megacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:58 PM   #65
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by megacoupe View Post
I find it disturbing that there are people in this thread actually defending Amazon's actions.

Regardless of the copyright situation of the book in question, once you have purchased a copy of it, no one has the right to take it away from you.
You don't have a right to keep stolen property.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2009, 01:27 PM   #66
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
So? Copyright infringement is still not theft regardless how many time people claim it.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 01:34 PM   #67
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
So? Copyright infringement is still not theft regardless how many time people claim it.
You still don't have a right to own the book, however you parse words and dance around the topic.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:50 PM   #68
Semblance
Semblance began at the beginning.

Device: none
From the NYT article:

Quote:
Justin Gawronski, a 17-year-old from the Detroit area, was reading “1984” on his Kindle for a summer assignment and lost all his notes and annotations when the file vanished. “They didn’t just take a book back, they stole my work,” he said.
One more reason why this deletion sucks. Amazon should simply have stopped future sales of the book.
Semblance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 02:03 PM   #69
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You still don't have a right to own the book, however you parse words and dance around the topic.
What do you mean by "own"? Of course you have the right to possess that information since you can scan the book or type it in. And you also bought the meta information contained in the file in a similar way as you buy the papper in a paper book.

So what law do you use to support your opinion that there should be some problem keeping the ebook file?
Old 07-18-2009, 02:12 PM   #70
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
They are not "monitoring what's on your eReader". They are sending a command to delete a specific book to those specific devices to which their database shows the book to have been have sent. This seems entirely reasonable to me in situations where it turns out that the material has been illegally sold.
I'd like to know why you are so confident of that.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 02:17 PM   #71
carld
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
What do you mean by "own"? Of course you have the right to possess that information since you can scan the book or type it in. And you also bought the meta information contained in the file in a similar way as you buy the papper in a paper book.

So what law do you use to support your opinion that there should be some problem keeping the ebook file?
Obviously I'm talking about the copies that were pulled by Amazon, what in the world are you talking about typing in books in for? As for the laws, look it up yourself if you're so certain about what laws apply, I frankly can't be bothered to debate this damn nonsense any further.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:26 PM   #72
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Obviously I'm talking about the copies that were pulled by Amazon, what in the world are you talking about typing in books in for? As for the laws, look it up yourself if you're so certain about what laws apply, I frankly can't be bothered to debate this damn nonsense any further.
Well property laws does not apply. From what I have read about the IP laws I did not see anything supporting your viewpoint. So I do not know were to look so therefore I asked.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:29 PM   #73
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Ars Technica has a thoughtful piece of this topic, see Why Amazon went Big Brother on some Kindle e-books. Near the end it says:
Quote:
So why would Amazon remove the books? It appears as though Amazon's purchasing system does this automatically. The company told Ars that they are "changing [Amazon's] systems so that in the future we will not remove books from customers' devices in these circumstances."
I think this means that the refund of the charges for the ebook automatically triggered the ebook deletion. This makes sense when the customer requests the refund, but not necessarily when Amazon makes the refund.

The very thing that sets the Kindle apart from other ebook providers, its reliance on Amazon's servers, is also giving it at a minimum growing pains. This incident is one example, but so is the difficultly de-registering a Kindle from your existing ebooks and the lack of clarity about how many simultaneous devices each ebook can be on.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 03:14 PM   #74
ebs
Zealot
ebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And why do you have a Kindle if you don't want Amazon to be able to get inside?
I own lots of devices and manufacturer of those devices cannot "get inside".

I own Kindle because I want a small device to read huge number of PDFs I have and I will disable Amazon ability to get into my Kindle and delete random files or snoop what I'm currently reading.
ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 03:48 PM   #75
krischik
Addict

Exclamation That's what bailiffs are for.

Quote:
While that is indeed true - do read my other post on the subjet. It is of course the same for repossessing stolen goods.

Martin