Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-06-2010, 06:41 PM   #1
kidblue
Connoisseur
kidblue began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Calibre news automatically deleting

I'm using Calibre and was directed over here because we're stumped in that forum

I'm having feeds sent to my Kindle 3 via Calibre's emailing service and would like to know if those feeds will eventually be deleted on the Kindle itself, something like the seven-issue rule of Amazon-purchased periodicals being automatically deleted.

Anyone know?

Thanks,

Noah
kidblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:16 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Amazon says this:
Quote:
Keeping Subscription Content
Older issues of newspapers and magazines appear inside a grouping called "Periodicals: Back Issues." Selecting the grouping takes you to a screen that displays the back issues you have on your Kindle.

Kindle automatically deletes issues that are more than seven issues old to free up space for new content. An exclamation point next to an issue indicates that it will be deleted soon. If you'd like to keep a copy of an issue, follow these steps:

To keep a back issue:
Open the specific issue from the Kindle Home screen.
Press the Menu button and select "Keep This Issue."
You will then see the word "keep" to the left of the issue title in Home.
But I have no idea if that will apply to calibre subscriptions. I have noticed that unless I delete them, calibre subscriptions start going into the "Periodicals: Back Issues" grouping as well. I'll avoid deleting one of my feeds and send it a few times to see what happens. Might take awhile however...
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2010, 08:03 PM   #3
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Short answer: No

When you get news with Calibre and upload it to your Kindle it is treated like a book... nothing else.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:07 PM   #4
kidblue
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
Short answer: No

When you get news with Calibre and upload it to your Kindle it is treated like a book... nothing else.
Even though the items are dated and considered "issues" like books? It seems as if the Kindle is actually treating it as a periodical, unless sometimes books are called "issues" on Kindles. I just got it, so excuse my lack of nomenclature.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:25 PM   #5
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidblue View Post
Even though the items are dated and considered "issues" like books? It seems as if the Kindle is actually treating it as a periodical, unless sometimes books are called "issues" on Kindles. I just got it, so excuse my lack of nomenclature.
The files sent via Calibre to the Kindle (even through email) are considered personal documents, which Amazon will not delete on you. They control the periodicals for the subscriptions they sell, but not your personal documents. As far as they know and are concerned you are just sending a personal document.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2010, 08:29 PM   #6
kidblue
Connoisseur

So the Kindle (and the service) ignore the metadata? I've sent PDFs, proper MOBI books and these feeds to the Kindle and they've all been treated differently as per the metadata - i.e. the PDFs are labeled as proper PDFs, the books are complete books and the feeds look like periodicals, complete with "issues" and correct tables of content.

In other words, if I weren't told differently here, I would assume the Kindle thinks they are periodicals because it's labeling them similarly, right?
Old 10-06-2010, 09:26 PM   #7
jphphotography
Zealot
jphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle 3 6" 3G + wifi, Sony PRS-300, iTouch 4G, Galaxy S Vibrant
The kindle puts my Calibre news items into the periodical folder once a new "issue" arrives so it definitely isn't treating it like a book. I've always deleted them manually so I'm not sure what would happen. You say 7 was the magic number? I guess you could just pick a daily news source and wait 7 days I'll be watching this thread to see what is discovered because it's a pain deleting old periodicals manually.

Oh and FYI when you're reading one of the calibre news articles, if you hit menu there is an option to "keep issue" so it really does seem to treat it correctly. I just don't have any official amazon subscriptions so I'm not sure what it normally does.
jphphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:29 PM   #8
kidblue
Connoisseur

+1 to the above.

I guess we'll see who gets to a week first, right?
Old 10-06-2010, 09:37 PM   #9
jphphotography
Zealot
jphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle 3 6" 3G + wifi, Sony PRS-300, iTouch 4G, Galaxy S Vibrant
You'll beat me to it I'm actually running on a 3 day schedule right now so I'd have to wait 21 (or 24?) days. I pared down my subscriptions because I actually found I wasn't getting through all of my news articles and it was cutting into my book time. I still find myself deleting issues that I've only half read.
jphphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:44 PM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Calibre definitely formats the news so that Kindle thinks of them as 'issues'. I have one item which has 3 previous 'issues' in the "Periodicals: Back Issues" grouping. These have all the attributes of 'issues': the info page has 'Keep This Issue' and 'Delete This Issue' options. I'm confident that when the total number of issues gets to 7, Kindle will begin deleting the oldest issue that hasn't been flagged to 'Keep'.

I am currently running the definitive experiment that will prove to me, to you, and yes, to the entire world, that Kindle will delete these as predicted.

But it will take some time (the one I picked takes about 10 minutes to generate and send.

UPDATE: So far, while it tags the oldest with '!' icon, it hasn't deleted anything, and I have 9 issues in my Back Issues grouping, and counting. So it looks like you have to actually remove them manually.

"Predictions are hard, especially about the future."

Last edited by tomsem; 10-06-2010 at 10:55 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:19 PM   #11
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
Ironic timing. I'm also getting tired of deleting older issues manually and I just decided the other day to let them accumulate in the Periodicals collection to see if they would auto-delete after 7 issues.

I currently have two issues of everything in Periodicals and one issue of today's issues on the Home page. But I also have Washington Post Cartoons going back to Tuesday, 9/28 only I'm missing last Friday's issue for some reason. Currently I have 7 issues in Periodicals and one issue on the Home page and the issue from Tuesday, 9/28 has an exclamation mark to the left of it.

So I should know tomorrow morning whether the 9/28 issue will auto-delete or not.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:20 PM   #12
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I am currently running the definitive experiment that will prove to me, to you, and yes, to the entire world, that Kindle will delete these as predicted.

But it will take some time (the one I picked takes about 10 minutes to generate and send.
You must be manually advancing the date on your computer one day after each issue is generated, no?
Old 10-06-2010, 10:57 PM   #13
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomF View Post
You must be manually advancing the date on your computer one day after each issue is generated, no?
No, if you turn off 'Schedule for download' you can Download now as often as you like.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:45 PM   #14
loveangel
Banned
loveangel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
in short No.
loveangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:18 PM   #15
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast

Ok, when I woke up my Kindle this morning and then turned wireless on, it started downloading my overnight news feeds.

As it downloaded, I had the Periodicals collection open. As each issue got downloaded, yesterday's issue showed up in the Periodicals collection marked as "new". When it downloaded today's issue of Washington Post Cartoons it moved yesterday's issue into the Periodicals collection and flagged the Wednesday of last week issue (9/29/2010) with an exclamation mark. The Tuesday, 9/28/10 issue did not get removed but is still sitting there flagged with an exclamation mark.

I now have eight issues of Washington Post Cartoons in the Periodicals collection, the oldest two of which are flagged with an exclamation mark.

Last edited by TomF; 10-07-2010 at 01:41 PM. Reason: slight correction