Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-01-2010, 07:47 AM   #1
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
The daily commute - books vs ebook readers vs papers

Putting this in the llounge because it is nowhere near serious or scientific enough to go in News and Commentary

In my little section of the tube this morning there were about 21 people (14 sitting, 7 standing). Before the first major exodus there were:

3 reading books
3 reading on ebook readers (all Sonys, 1x 505 (me) and 2x 300)
2 reading papers

Unusually no one was playing games or watching video.

I'm not sure whether to be encouraged by seeing 3 ebook readers in one place, or discouraged by the lack of people actually reading.

This piece of useless information brought to you courtesy of the northbound Northern Line.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:51 AM   #2
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Maybe some were "stealth reading" on iPhone?
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:52 AM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I've never seen anybody reading on any electronic device... Not counting me, my husband and one of my ex-colleagues who I infected with the ebook virus...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:55 AM   #4
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javed View Post
Maybe some were "stealth reading" on iPhone?
Only if it was an audio book - no-one had their iPhones out that I could see (yes, I am that nosey!)
Old 02-01-2010, 07:58 AM   #5
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What were they doing instead of reading?
Old 02-01-2010, 08:02 AM   #6
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD

Sitting staring blankly into space mostly. Although one person did appear to be trying to read over the shoulder of the person next to them.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:02 AM   #7
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Woo, impresive. I'm never seen much reader in train but mine.

There are more people reading these day (on p-book) , buy also a lot with thier iPod / iPhone doing some random message typing / video watching / listening to music.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:05 AM   #8
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
People read there? That would be rather unusual here, unless it was a glossy magazine about Brad and Angelina or John Edwards. Or, more seldomly, a newspaper about Tiger. I have very rarely seen ebook readers in the wild.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:07 AM   #9
Javed
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
People read there? That would be rather unusual here, unless it was a glossy magazine about Brad and Angelina or John Edwards. Or, more seldomly, a newspaper about Tiger. I have very rarely seen ebook readers in the wild.
Wild Tigers but not wild ereaders.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:19 AM   #10
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
Sitting staring blankly into space mostly. Although one person did appear to be trying to read over the shoulder of the person next to them.
whenever i find myself with nothing to read (it's rare, but it can happen) i try to read over the shoulder of whoever is nearby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Woo, impresive. I'm never seen much reader in train but mine.

There are more people reading these day (on p-book) , buy also a lot with thier iPod / iPhone doing some random message typing / video watching / listening to music.
i've never seen anybody with a liseuse either, so 3 in one wagon seems impressive. i do see a lot of people with paper books, or with those free newspapers (20Minutes, etc.). and i see people with telephones, but from the few times i've been close enough to verify, i'm pretty sure they're all either listening to music or playing games.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:20 AM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When I still went by train, I generally read on my way back and listened to an audiobook on the way to work. Easier to listen to a book when it's rather crowded...

But what you see the most here, is either people listening to their phone, sometimes even talking to it, and reading the free newspaper you can find at every single station...
Old 02-01-2010, 08:24 AM   #12
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
whenever i find myself with nothing to read (it's rare, but it can happen) i try to read over the shoulder of whoever is nearby.
I suppose that can happen when all you have is an Ebookwise 1150. Maybe you should consider buying a Sony. Or even two!
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:27 AM   #13
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I suppose that can happen when all you have is an Ebookwise 1150. Maybe you should consider buying a Sony. Or even two!
you know, that's not a bad idea.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:31 AM   #14
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
When I still went by train, I generally read on my way back and listened to an audiobook on the way to work. Easier to listen to a book when it's rather crowded...
Until I got my reader, I would only read on the train when I got a seat. The reader's so much easier to read one-handed!

Quote:
But what you see the most here, is either people listening to their phone, sometimes even talking to it, and reading the free newspaper you can find at every single station...
The papers were all the free morning paper. Normally there's people playing games on their phone or console, or reading messages on their blackberry, but I didn't spot anyone doing that this morning. Thankfully the part of the line I travel on is underground, so there's no-one talking on their phones
Old 02-01-2010, 08:40 AM   #15
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Until I got my reader, I would only read on the train when I got a seat. The reader's so much easier to read one-handed!
Try a nice PDA... Which is what I used (at least, after the ebookman...)

Quote:
The papers were all the free morning paper. Normally there's people playing games on their phone or console, or reading messages on their blackberry, but I didn't spot anyone doing that this morning. Thankfully the part of the line I travel on is underground, so there's no-one talking on their phones
I never really seen anybody play with their gadgets, only either listening to music (I presume) or talking on the phone. Unless it was somebody with a laptop (I moved before the netbooks became popular), because that person would most likely be doing some work on it...

(and no undergrounds in my neck of the woods!)