Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-14-2016, 06:55 PM   #1
BoundforPNG
BoundforPNG began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Calibre on Linux not starting

I recently upgraded Calibre on my linux box and now it will not start.

I get this error:
Quote:
koha@library:~$ calibre-debug -g
calibre 2.67 embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Linux-3.13.0-87-generic-x86_64-with-debian-jessie-sid Linux ('64bit', 'ELF')
('Linux', '3.13.0-87-generic', '#133-Ubuntu SMP Tue May 24 18:32:09 UTC 2016')
Python 2.7.9
Linux: ('debian', 'jessie/sid', '')
Successfully initialized third party plugins: Author Book Count (2, 1, 4) && Count Pages (1, 6, 9) && Annotations (1, 4, 11) && Generate Cover (1, 5, 21)
QXcbConnection: Failed to initialize XRandr
Qt: XKEYBOARD extension not present on the X server.
devicePixelRatio: 1.0
logicalDpi: 96.0 x 95.8490566038
physicalDpi: -48768.0 x -30480.0
Starting up...
The X11 connection broke: Maximum allowed requested length exceeded (code 4)
XIO: fatal IO error 2 (No such file or directory) on X server ":16.0"
after 192 requests (192 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
koha@library:~$
BoundforPNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:03 PM   #2
BoundforPNG
BoundforPNG began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I think the error started with 2.66. How would I go about reverting to the version previous to that?
BoundforPNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:11 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You are missing various bits of the X server. Install them and you will be fine. As for reverting to previosu versions, instructions are on the download page.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 02:09 PM   #4
Jafo23
Jafo23 began at the beginning.

Device: Andoid Tablet
I found a work-around for this. It looks like a Qt issue from this StackExchange question: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2...-a-window-icon

After resizing /opt/calibre/resources/images/library.png to 256x256 (it was 1024x1024), I'm now able to start calibre under vncserver.

I'm using the RealVNC 4 vncserver on Ubuntu 16.04. I didn't test it with tightvnc, which is the only other option in the Ubuntu repositories.

The Xkeyboard and Xrandr messages can be ignored since they're only optional X extensions, and not in any of the vnc servers that I've used.
Jafo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 11:37 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's just weird. Works fine for me using x11vnc which is I think available in Ubuntu, according to this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VNC/Servers Not to mention that IIRC the default VNC server in Ubuntu is vino.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:59 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I also tried it using tigervnc 1.7.0 on the same machine and it worked fine
Old 09-25-2016, 11:32 AM   #7
Jafo23
Jafo23 began at the beginning.

Device: Andoid Tablet
Hello Kovid,

x11vnc is just the gateway to a running X server, or starts Xvfb if there is no running server. I haven't used vino, but it looks the same as x11vnc; not an X server but just a VNC<->X11 gateway.

RealVNC (vnc4server) and tightvncserver have their own X server that runs in memory instead of on a physical monitor and directly talks to vnc clients. I can't find tiger vnc client or server in the default ubuntu repositories but it is in the same category.

I was using x11vnc with the Xvfb server, but ran into the same error. Running x11vnc with the standard X server (/usr/bin/X) did work for me, but meant that my session was displayed on the console in addition to the remote display, which I did not want. I'll have to download tigervnc to see if it works better for me. Worst case, I can create a VM on my linux box if I need to, so that I don't have to dedicate a physical display.

Thank you for creating calibre; it's a great program I use almost every day.

Best Regards,
Jeff
Jafo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 01:34 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Sounds like a bug in Xvfb in that case. Unfortunately, I dont think X is very actively maintained anymore, so it probably wont be fixed anytime soon.

As I said, it worked for me with tigervnc, so try that. From what I know of VNC servers (admittedly not very much), tigervnc is the most actively maintained one. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/TigerVNC
Old 09-27-2016, 07:04 AM   #9
Hapis
Hapis began at the beginning.

Device: PB 902 Pro
Hi, i can confirm that library.png is the problem. I am starting calibre on my linux box and accessing the box via VNC. Worked fine until the new library logo

Thanks for the great work on Calibre! I couldn't imagine managing my books without it.

Edit: Running Debian Jessie with XFCE and Calibre Latest
Hapis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 11:08 AM   #10
rahlquist
Enthusiast
rahlquist is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook Color (ICS)
FYI, Issue still exists in 3.1.1. 64 bit on Ubuntu 16.04 fully updated. I am using XRDP to access my Mate desktop. As a workaround I modified the libary.png to 256x256 and it works. So I have added a line to my Calibre update script to copy that file over every time I update since it seems like this is not an issue that will be addressed.

Last edited by rahlquist; 06-24-2017 at 11:28 AM.
rahlquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 04:29 PM   #11
ugumba
ugumba began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G
I can second this. I hunted high and low for help on the XRandr and XKEYBOARD extension errors, which proved to be red herrings.

"cp lt.png library.png" fixed it for me.

I'm using calibre 3.7.0 on an up-to-date (but minimal) Ubuntu VM in Azure. I'm happy there was such a simple workaround.

Edit: Here's a related bug report on the Ubuntu package: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...9?comments=all

Last edited by ugumba; 09-16-2017 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Added link to Ubuntu bug
ugumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 11:11 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I dont see how it could possibly exist in calibre 3.x lt.png is used as the window icon on X11

https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...2/main.py#L121
Old 09-16-2017, 11:22 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Well, I suppose it can happen if isPlatformX11 does not work. This commit should fix it: https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...1f2a7e60352b35