Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 09-12-2008, 02:43 PM   #1
Red Penguin
Red Penguin began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Camus - Copyright Issues?

Camus' L’Étranger was published in 1943 in English, is there any reason this (or any other of his works) are not up on Gutenberg?

If not I have an lrf that I can upload. This is my favourite book, and I'd hate for anyone to miss out on it
Red Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 04:28 PM   #2
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Penguin View Post
Camus' L’Étranger was published in 1943 in English, is there any reason this (or any other of his works) are not up on Gutenberg?

If not I have an lrf that I can upload. This is my favourite book, and I'd hate for anyone to miss out on it
In the USA, books published after 1923 are still in copyright. In other countries, it appears that the copyright is based on the author's lifetime -- add 50 or 70 to the year of death and the copyright on his or her works expires on 31 December of that year.

Camus died on 4 January 1960, so in Canada (a life+50 country), his works should come out of copyright on 31 December 2010. In Australia (now a life+70 country), they'll be in copyright until 31 December 2030.

Disclaimer: I am *not* an IP lawyer and I may have misread or mis-understood what I read, so verify my information.

Given that the .lrf version of the book that you have is {most likely} for a work still in copyright in the US and Canada, it would not be acceptable to upload to this server. If you can find documentation that specifically states that this work is out of copyright in either country, it would be acceptable to upload.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 05:01 PM   #3
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Our main servers are in Canada, which holds that copyright lasts for the life of the author plus 50 years. Camus died in 1960. So his works (in the original French) will enter the Canadian public domain on 1st January 2111. So wait for a while.

If you are thinking of a translation, then find out when the translator died, add 50 years, then you may legally upload on the 1st January following that date.

We also have some US server space, but Camus is not going to enter the US public domain for the foreseeable future.

I like Camus too. In the meantime I managed to find and upload a Sartre lecture ('Existentialism and Humanism') available under a creative commons licence.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 08:28 AM   #4
Cookie Monster
Connoisseur
Cookie Monster doesn't litterCookie Monster doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
In Australia (now a life+70 country), they'll be in copyright until 31 December 2030.
Australia went death + 70 after the US forced it as a condition of the Free Trade Agreement. However, it was not retrospective. Therefore, if the author died up to 31st December 1956 there work is public domain, ie death + 50. After that its death + 70.
Cookie Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 09:30 AM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Our main servers are in Canada, which holds that copyright lasts for the life of the author plus 50 years. Camus died in 1960. So his works (in the original French) will enter the Canadian public domain on 1st January 2111. So wait for a while.
wow, copyright is getting longer and longer !! o_O i think you meant 2011...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 09:58 PM   #6
Cookie Monster
Connoisseur
Cookie Monster doesn't litterCookie Monster doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
public domain on 1st January 2111. So wait for a while.
Maybe Camus is really Mickey Mouse in disguise hence the long copyright
Cookie Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 05:40 PM   #7
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
wow, copyright is getting longer and longer !! o_O i think you meant 2011...
You're right, Zelda.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote