Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 04-19-2012, 03:24 PM   #16
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadioflex View Post
If it doesn't hurt you're not doing it right.
Must be good then.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:33 PM   #17
mjhudston
All round good egg
mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Apple Ipad 3rd Generation
To be honest im seriously jelous now. I havenet touched any of my stories in years and years!
mjhudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2012, 04:28 PM   #18
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhudston View Post
To be honest im seriously jelous now. I havenet touched any of my stories in years and years!
WTH you waiting on????
Old 04-25-2012, 09:01 PM   #19
Lazybones
Groupie
Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I use NaNoWriMo as an opportunity to take a break from whatever novel/series I'm working on and play with whatever weird idea pops into my mind. I also have a journal where I jot down ideas for new novels; sometimes just working out some of the practical obstacles to a plot concept on paper helps take some of the seductive edge off those ideas that just pop into your brain when you're working on another project.
Lazybones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:39 PM   #20
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
To me the opposite of Writer's Block is Writer's Overload where you have too bloody much in your head and fingers too slow to write it all down before your brain explodes. lol.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2012, 09:45 PM   #21
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
To me the opposite of Writer's Block is Writer's Overload where you have too bloody much in your head and fingers too slow to write it all down before your brain explodes. lol.
Zombie delight.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #22
Deidre Blue
caffeine freak
Deidre Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deidre Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deidre Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deidre Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deidre Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deidre Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deidre Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deidre Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deidre Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deidre Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deidre Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Pocket Reader
I could only DREAM of having this problem, lol! As it is, each project of mine takes so much time from conception to completion, just because I have to let ideas percolate for a really long time. Count yourself as one of the lucky ones. As someone else mentioned though, I would be careful of it becoming a situation where you're really great at starting stuff and not so great at finishing it. Other than that...ride the wave!
Deidre Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:49 AM   #23
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Deidre, yeah, that's gotten to be my case now too. I used to have ideas exploding in my mind all the time. So many in fact that I had trouble getting them down fast enough. or in a coherent way. Now I have to go through a ritual of "checking in" to the world before I start my writing and blocking out all external distractions before I start writing. I remember a famous author once said that something like this would happen, and they were totally write. I don't remember their exact quote but it was something along the lines of "When you begin, the ideas and words will gush from you like a spring of water. But as you mature and the more you write, the longer and more in depthly you will have to live in the world before you can write about it."

I've somewhat reached that stage where I have to live in a world for a while before I can write anything about it. I think it involves how you "see" your world. I'm also fairly certain that writers block is simply failure by the writer to fully see their world. It's like writing about your family. The better you know them the better you're able to write about them.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #24
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Fulda View Post
This is a very familiar scenario to me.

The new ideas are always shinier and easier to write because you haven't worked yourself far enough into the story to get mired in the plot.
I had to laugh at this. So true.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:33 PM   #25
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryWes View Post
Aye, there's the rub. I jot down ideas, write out an outline, and sometimes even start writing until the new idea just runs out of steam. That way I can go back and concentrate on the story I was originally working on. More than once though, I just kept on writing until the new story was done.
How long did you take you from the original idea to completed story to write "His Robot Girlfriend" Wes? It and the sequel both seem to hang together quite well, and I can't help but think there was a lot of background work before hand to insure they run smoothly.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:36 PM   #26
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've heard the OP's experience called "Worldbuilder's Disease" in one of my writing books. It's easy to get bogged down in background data and not get to the actual story very quickly. Which isn't to say that that stuff isn't important or can't suggest stories, but it can get out of hand in short order I understand.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:45 PM   #27
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
Deidre, yeah, that's gotten to be my case now too. I used to have ideas exploding in my mind all the time. So many in fact that I had trouble getting them down fast enough. or in a coherent way. Now I have to go through a ritual of "checking in" to the world before I start my writing and blocking out all external distractions before I start writing. I remember a famous author once said that something like this would happen, and they were totally write. I don't remember their exact quote but it was something along the lines of "When you begin, the ideas and words will gush from you like a spring of water. But as you mature and the more you write, the longer and more in depthly you will have to live in the world before you can write about it."

I've somewhat reached that stage where I have to live in a world for a while before I can write anything about it. I think it involves how you "see" your world. I'm also fairly certain that writers block is simply failure by the writer to fully see their world. It's like writing about your family. The better you know them the better you're able to write about them.
Hemingway said it well too. An author needs a built in s**t detector. Perhaps it's the development of such that brings the flow of ideas into a controllable stream rather than being a gushing torrent. I mean I understand in the old days editors would get what came to be known as "Shaggy God stories" quite often. New writers would get what they thought was a new idea, but was really a shop worn or even cliche'd idea that had been run into the ground.