Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-03-2009, 01:37 AM   #1
Neil
Addict
Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 6, iPad Air, Kindles HD 8, HD 10, Oasis 3, Scribe, PB Color
Mac Crashing Problem

I love Calibre but having a problem with it on my Intel Mac running the latest OS X software. What happens is that if Cailbre is doing something intensive such as batch converting lit files to mobi it will crash. But from the usual dialog box to relaunch or ignore I cannot relaunch it as I get an error message that another user is running the program. As I am the only user on my Mac I don't see anyway out of this other than to restart the computer. Is anyone else reporting this happening? Any ideas how I could restart after such a crash without rebooting?
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 02:13 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
try deleting ~/.calibre_calibre GUI.lock
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2009, 03:41 PM   #3
Neil
Addict
Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ummmm, where can I find that file? Doesn't appear to be in the app support part of the library under calibre...??
Old 04-03-2009, 03:43 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Ummmm, where can I find that file? Doesn't appear to be in the app support part of the library under calibre...??
~/

indicates your home directory. However, any files that start with a . are hidden. So, you can't see them in Finder unless you enable it.

Open your terminal window and type:

cd

then press enter. Then type

rm ~/.calibre_calibre GUI.lock

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:44 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
try deleting ~/.calibre_calibre GUI.lock
Really there is a space in the file name?

BOb
Advert
Old 04-03-2009, 04:44 PM   #6
Neil
Addict

I get no such file or directory....

Here's what I did:

Macintosh:~ neilshapiro$ cd
Macintosh:~ neilshapiro$ rm ~/.calibre_calibre GUI.lock
rm: /Users/neilshapiro/.calibre_calibre: No such file or directory
rm: GUI.lock: No such file or directory
Old 04-03-2009, 04:45 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
do an

ls -la

and see if it is listed.

BOb
Old 04-03-2009, 08:35 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:

Here's what I did:

Macintosh:~ neilshapiro$ cd
Macintosh:~ neilshapiro$ rm ~/.calibre_calibre GUI.lock
rm: /Users/neilshapiro/.calibre_calibre: No such file or directory
rm: GUI.lock: No such file or directory
You need to put quotation marks around it as it has a space in the name
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:54 AM   #9
Neil
Addict

Thank, Kovid I guess that worked. Entered it with the quote marks and terminal went back to the prompt without and error message so I assume that means it processed. Restarted Calibre and so far no crashes. Sorry but I have little idea what Terminal does or how. It's amazing I got the various Python scripts to work.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:46 AM   #10
jjthejetplane
jjthejetplane began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
OK, can you tell me exatctly what to put quotes around or how to type it in? I'm having a really difficult time trying to fix this after searching how to on the internet. Thanks
jjthejetplane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
macintosh crashing