Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 03-22-2009, 12:00 PM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
But an upgrade would have to be able to retrofit to the earlier models. The PR would be terrible if you couldn't get all the new features on eariler Cybook builds.
It wouldn't particularly bother me, to tell you the truth. I'd do what I did when Bookeen replaced the 64MB model with 512MB without notice - sell my current one and buy a new one. They generally fetch good 2nd-hand prices; one can upgrade for a relatively modest outlay.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:04 PM   #32
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
But an upgrade would have to be able to retrofit to the earlier models. The PR would be terrible if you couldn't get all the new features on eariler Cybook builds.
Yes, if the device is called the same. If they want to make them incompatible they have to give them different name.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2009, 12:11 PM   #33
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Yes, if the device is called the same. If they want to make them incompatible they have to give them different name.
So, logically that would be Gen4 ?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:11 PM   #34
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Device: cybook gen3, htc hero, ipaq 214
IMHO this is not a question of HW. It's not as if cybook was running memory and processor power demanding real-time calculations of 3D matrices or had to multitask several processes at a time. I was running a linux distro on a 33 mhz 486sx with 4 mb of memory and if worked fine. So I don't understand why should 16mb and 200 mhz not be enough for a single simple task the cybook is meant to do. Sure, if you don't optimize your software, you end up wasting hw resources and the overall performance will be crappy. Please, the active developers here may feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that gen3 has more than enough resources even for stuff like onscreen keyboard, searches and all the stuff the pocketbook fw has and all the bells and whistles Sir Ralph was talking about.
Abelturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:16 PM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Apparently Adobe DE requires a lot of memory to render ePub. It has been suggested that it will not be possible to add ePub to machines with 16MB RAM. Whether or not those suggestions have a basis in fact, time will tell.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2009, 12:24 PM   #36
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Apparently Adobe DE requires a lot of memory to render ePub. It has been suggested that it will not be possible to add ePub to machines with 16MB RAM. Whether or not those suggestions have a basis in fact, time will tell.
A particular implementation might have problem but that does not say that the task cannot be solved.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:29 PM   #37
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

All right, I admit it might require a lot of memory, but for crying out loud, epub is just a xml file, tags and text, why does it have such high memory requirements if it basically does the same what mobi prc already does, especially considering the limitations of a 6" device. You can't really render complicated formatting on that, so why do we need such elaborate toolbox for such an easy task.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:31 PM   #38
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelturd View Post
All right, I admit it might require a lot of memory, but for crying out loud, epub is just a xml file, tags and text, why does it have such high memory requirements if it basically does the same what mobi prc already does, especially considering the limitations of a 6" device. You can't really render complicated formatting on that, so why do we need such elaborate toolbox for such an easy task.
Because the toolbox is written by bad programmers that learned Java as their first language?

So I agree with your point.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:05 AM   #39
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
You mean like when the ePub added to the Sony 505, but not the 500? I suspect Cybook would survive the grumbling, too.

That doesn't mean I like it - it just means I'm a cynic.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:13 AM   #40
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
You mean like when the ePub added to the Sony 505, but not the 500? I suspect Cybook would survive the grumbling, too.

That doesn't mean I like it - it just means I'm a cynic.
But that was 500 and 505, acknowledged as two different devices. With Bookeen, they are all Gen3, there have never been (at least officially) two different models, thus they should be at least morally responsible for providing the same FW for the Gen3 (the only one existing, of course)
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 04:44 AM   #41
YGG-
Dry fruit
YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Opus + HTC Desire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Wake up guys, the Cybook is good as a reading device !!!!!
That's all I ever wanted from it ...... sheesh is no one happy ...... ?????
Same here!
YGG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:37 AM   #42
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Look at the video at the bottom of the page.
Absolutely great functionality.

At the end of the video they invite you to come to
http://bookland.net.ua/
to legaly buy books.
Go ahead and check the site.
The prices are in Ukrainian Grivnas, and you can get the price in your favourite currency using google by searching for:
34 ukrainian money in EUR
or
0.75 ukrainian money in USD

A typical book is in
epub, fb2, isilo, lit, pdf, prc, rb, rtf, txt
format

Tell me, how many people would spend considerable resources downloading book with crappy formatting and many OCR errors from ... aehm ... "darknet" if they could buy it (DRM free, tailored for their device) for prices ranging from 10 cents to 5 dollars with vast majority of books priced below $1.5?

Last edited by kacir; 03-23-2009 at 06:33 AM.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:27 AM   #43
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier

Quote:
Some time this year, it would appear. On the firmware of current CyBooks, the "About" screen shows the CPU speed. Those machines bought in January show "200MHz"; current CyBooks show "400MHz".
So that means that new cybooks are the EB-600 model?
The fact that bookeen hasn't announced a step-up from the eb100 is intriguing. I'm probably getting on everyone's nerves by now drawing comparisons with pocketbook. But still, they have two different versions of FW for 301 and 301+ the difference between which is basically the same as between old cybooks and these new ones with 400 mhz processors.
Could this mean that bookeen is going to come out with two different FW versions?
Old 03-25-2009, 08:47 AM   #44
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Some time this year, it would appear. On the firmware of current CyBooks, the "About" screen shows the CPU speed. Those machines bought in January show "200MHz"; current CyBooks show "400MHz".
So, mine should be a 200.

Quote:
If it dosen't, they better provide me with a new device. Now what !
What does PR means anyway ?
I'm already felling on that one, but that would make me go from "happy customer , love bookeeen" to "extremly unhappy, next reader won't be a Cybook."

Last edited by EowynCarter; 03-25-2009 at 09:01 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:43 AM   #45
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
PR = public relations.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote