Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-12-2008, 12:11 PM   #1
Johns1NOnly
Loves2Design <3
Johns1NOnly doesn't litterJohns1NOnly doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Ipad, Kindle DX
text sizes

Hi i was wondering if anyone had image of the 3 font size of the sony
PRS-505? I still tied between the sony and cybook but i want to see the font size on the sony before i make my final chooses. Thanks

edited i have already seen the text of the cybook
Johns1NOnly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 02:52 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The size of Sony format ebook fonts depends on the ebook, but ePub ebooks don't usually specify the base font size and so are more consistent.

Sony's windows software initially emulated a PRS-505, but now emulates a PRS-700, see Sony's Windows ebook Reader. See the attached screenshots from this software, which should be very similar to an ePub on an actual PRS-700. Only the 1st 4 sizes (S,M,L,XL) were available (XXL not available). I think the 1st 3 are the same as the PRS-505, but this should be confirmed by an owner of the device.

Unlike most EInk readers, the Kindle has a built in screenshot capability. So compare the attached to the 6 Kindle Font Sizes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PRS700_TTC_S.gif
Views:	338
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	19109   Click image for larger version

Name:	PRS700_TTC_M.gif
Views:	324
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	19110   Click image for larger version

Name:	PRS700_TTC_L.gif
Views:	312
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	19111   Click image for larger version

Name:	PRS700_TTC_XL.gif
Views:	344
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	19112  
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2008, 03:04 PM   #3
Johns1NOnly
Loves2Design <3
Johns1NOnly doesn't litterJohns1NOnly doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Ipad, Kindle DX
thanks wallcraft i can read the last 3 good but I still think I am going like the cybook since it has 12 different sizes. I just wish it was available at a local store or through more than 2 site for the USA. But i still might go with the sony if i can get cheaper on a military base.
Johns1NOnly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 11:09 PM   #4
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns1NOnly View Post
thanks wallcraft i can read the last 3 good but I still think I am going like the cybook since it has 12 different sizes.
Plus you can install/use fonts of your choice. Font handling is one of the best features of the Cybook.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 11:17 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
Plus you can install/use fonts of your choice. Font handling is one of the best features of the Cybook.
But power management is one of the worst features of the Gen3.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2008, 04:04 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Nonsense . In what way is it "worse" than the Sony?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 12:06 PM   #7
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I suppose it could be better, and it was an issue for me with one older firmware release, but I have no problem at all with power management on my Gen3.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote