Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-21-2013, 01:20 AM   #181
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KFire HD, KFire, KTD 3g, KT, K4B, K4S, K3g, K3g SO, K2, K1
It is to laugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Err. yeah. The code is up for this one Andy.

Can easily take a poke around.
Bob, you don't know how funny you are. Just cause I hang out here, doesn't mean I understand 1/4 of what I read. That's half the fun of it. (I don't know what the other half is)

svn checkout http://kindle-explorer.googlecode.com/svn/ kindle-explorer-read-only

'svn' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

(sigh) Whatever happened to, "Bad command or file name."

actually, I'm not surprised that I don't have subversion installed, since we use TortoriseSVN. I thought maybe SVN was... maybe it is out there someplace, not in the path.

Anyway, I poked hfpop's source.
  1. CPP, that's C++, right?
  2. #define EDITOR "/mnt/us/extensions/leafpad/bin/leafpad" That's the line I want to change... I think that's called a macro, right? although it looks kinda like a constant...
  3. and then, you want me to compile it on an OS I know next to nothing about, in an environment I know even less about, using all kinds of mystical, magical libraries...
  4. If it'd been in TurboPascal 4.x I might have had a chance. If it'd been in FORTRAN, I might have had a chance. VB5 or VBA, a little shakier, but possible. COBOL... you're out on shaky ground. Any of this OOPs stuff, forget it.
  5. I was able to compile Wolfenstein once I found the correct version of TurboPascal, I was able to compile PrBoom with MFC 5, but only about 1/4 of my changes did what I wanted, I was able to get a clean compile on my Doom editor, whatever it was, but NONE of my changes worked there...
Consider the code poked, but I might like to take a look at the original code for 1.5 if you can tell me where (and how) to get it.
SampleAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:47 AM   #182
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
#define EDITOR "/mnt/us/extensions/leafpad/bin/leafpad"
That reads to my like a define of the **default** editor.
Where 'EDITOR' is one of the standard *nix environment variables.

Try just resetting it to the path of the editor you want to use when running whatever program:
Code:
EDITOR=/path/name/and/file/name/of/editor  whatever_program_name
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2013, 07:57 AM   #183
nypaulie
Gātheist
nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, FireHD6 Gen4
Is there any way to use Kindle Explorer and have root access.
nypaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:07 AM   #184
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Hmm... does it not have root access?

Really?

If I had to guess that is related to the RO status of the Root Partition rather than any shortcoming in the permissions of the app.

So... Launch kterm. mntroot rw
That should do it.

remember to switch it back after you fiddle:

Question: What is it that you need to fiddle about with on the root?
Sounds.... unwise....

But meh. It's your device. Don't brick that paperwhite though. NIGHTMARE to unbrick.

HTH
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:51 AM   #185
nypaulie
Gātheist
nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks! That did it. Once I'd entered the command in kterm I was able to use KE to overwrite a png file. Until I had root access I could not do this. What is the command for undoing the root access so I don't mess up. Thanks again!

Last edited by nypaulie; 08-24-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Advert
Old 08-24-2013, 08:54 AM   #186
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nypaulie View Post
I tried using kterm to work with some png files in the screensaver folder (/usr/share/blanket/screensaver/), but kterm's keyboard is so tiny and I couldn't locate the underscore key.
On the paperwhite, there is an alternate set of keyboard files that give a lager 'key cap'

Also note that the key-mapping file was just updated this morning .
Old 08-24-2013, 08:58 AM   #187
nypaulie
Gātheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
On the paperwhite, there is an alternate set of keyboard files that give a lager 'key cap'

Also note that the key-mapping file was just updated this morning .
Is there in fact a key for the underscore character? I looked at all the key sets but could not find it.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:59 AM   #188
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nypaulie View Post
Is there in fact a key for the underscore character? I looked at all the key sets but could not find it.
Which key map file are you using (as in, post the link)?
Is that the most recent one nasser posted this morning?
Old 08-24-2013, 09:17 AM   #189
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

right of the 0 (zero character)

when SHIFT is engaged.

(just like on a regular keyboard )

EDIT: Subtle picture attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_569.png
Views:	334
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	109911  

Last edited by twobob; 08-24-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #190
nypaulie
Gātheist

Thanks. Your mntroot rw info did it for me tho, so I can make my tweaks using KE instead. I am guessing the command "mntroot ro" will undo the access... I will give it a try so I don't mess up my PW.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:29 AM   #191
twobob

yup mntroot ro
Old 09-18-2013, 04:55 PM   #192
Aeris
Developer's Corner Mascot
Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5.3.4, Kindle Keyboard 3.4
The system hangs when trying to use KindleExplorer to access /etc folder on Kindle PW
Aeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:30 PM   #193
twobob

huh. possibly cant handle the symlinks or something.
does htop show it as topping out the processor?

might be in a silly loop or something.
Anyone else get this?
Old 09-18-2013, 05:32 PM   #194
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Yes, see posts 172 and 173
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:12 AM   #195
Aeris
Developer's Corner Mascot
Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5.3.4, Kindle Keyboard 3.4
Sorry I didn't read...

At the beginning I suspected it could be a folder/privilege problem, but when i tryed to access with leafpad text editor i didn't get any error, for example
Aeris is offline   Reply With Quote