Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-31-2011, 09:25 AM   #1
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Remove Books anomaly?

I have a trashing anomaly with calibre v0.8.12 on OSX Leopard (10.6.8). In Library View, when removing books in small quantities (less than whatever amount prompts the dialog to bypass the trash), they just get deleted completely, not put into trash bin. I'm not sure if this started happening with v12, it may have been earlier. Did I miss a setting change somewhere?

Last edited by unboggling; 07-31-2011 at 09:47 AM.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:37 AM   #2
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just tested it with v810 and v811. Same problem with both. But I didn't mess with scrapping the config dir.

Last edited by unboggling; 07-31-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Advert
Old 07-31-2011, 12:28 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I deleted a single file in OS X on 10.6.8 and it ended up in the trash for me.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:36 PM   #4
unboggling
Wizard

Hmmm. Trashing files out in the OS works fine. I assume this is somehow related to the change that introduced the skip-the-trashbin dialog. Could it be some setting in a file in the config dir? Any advice on how I should proceed to track it down?
Old 07-31-2011, 12:45 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That change was introduced a long time ago, so I doubt it. There are three different code paths:

1) Deleting less than 5 books
2) Deleting between 5 and 100 books
3) Deleting more than 100 books

Which one are you seeing the problem on?
Advert
Old 07-31-2011, 01:13 PM   #6
unboggling
Wizard

Specifically I think 1 & 2 and I'm not sure about 3. I'll test and get back with report a little later. Thanks for your help.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:37 PM   #7
unboggling
Wizard

Nothing shows up in the trash no matter what number. Several times each I did <5, <100, and >100. The only difference was that >100 generated the dialog box to skip trash or not. It skipped the trash in all cases including when I said no.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:40 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Then there's something screwy on your system. Unfortunately, I dont know enough about OS X to guess what it might be. calibre uses the standard system call: FSMoveObjectToTrashSync to send files to the trash on OS X. Try running calibre in debig mode and see if any error messages are printed out.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:51 PM   #9
unboggling
Wizard

Probably unrelated, I keep freezing when I try to add books. The add dialog box defaults to the last path used, which is to a directory structure that contains a lot of formats. It freezes there and I have to force calibre to quit, then restart it. That's why I had delays trying to add test books to delete. Maybe this freezing, which is new behavior, is because I broke something when I backtracked calibre versions earlier today to test the trash problem.

At any rate, I'm thinking maybe I should de-install caliber completely, including the config dir and any others necessary then reinstall and see what happens. I haven't done that yet because I don't know exactly what files need to be removed in addition to the config dir in user/library/preferences and calibre.app. Are there any particular config files that contain all my preference settings that I could copy back in after the reinstall?

Last edited by unboggling; 10-24-2011 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:52 PM   #10
unboggling
Wizard

OK, our posts crossed, I'll try the debug mode first.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:55 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

that isn't freezing, that's the time the open dialog takes to scan the directory.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:10 PM   #12
unboggling
Wizard

re add-dialog freezing. After waiting about 3 min I went to the OSX ForceQuit dialog which indicated calibre was "not responding".

Anyway, progress so far. I copied an older library backup on external disk. Debugger on. Opened the copy's library. All trashing operations worked fine in that library in all n ranges, including skip trash and don't. That is the experimental baseline control to compare against my trash problem.

calibre Debug log
calibre 0.8.12
Darwin-10.8.0-x86_64-i386-64bit
Darwin
('Darwin', '10.8.0', 'Darwin Kernel Version 10.8.0: Tue Jun 7 16:32:41 PDT 2011; root:xnu-1504.15.3~1/RELEASE_X86_64')
Python 2.7.1
OSX: ('10.6.8', ('', '', ''), 'x86_64')
Starting up...
Started up in 30.1219060421

Then I quit calibre assuming it wrote out stuff to the log but apparently there was nothing to write.

Now going to test two different libraries on the internal disk including the large library where the initial trash problems happened. I'll get back with progress hopefully in a couple hours. I have to copy those libraries so I can test on the copies.

Last edited by unboggling; 10-24-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:18 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I'm going to guess that OS X doesn't put things into the Trash when they are deleted from external removable drives.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:20 PM   #14
unboggling
Wizard

Actually, OSX does delete to the trash. I assume there's a separate (invisible) trash dir on each drive - internal or removable - because when I delete files on any drives their icons or filenames show up in the system trash bin on the desktop regardless of where they're from - then when I empty trash those point back to the relevant trash dirs. The next time I'm root maybe I'll remember to look for them. EDIT, or - it's all just pointers to storage addresses anyway.

Anyway, my trash problems happened in a library on the internal drive. I keep working-libraries internal and only backups and raw-incoming book files on externals. The 2 working libraries are Add and Main. Add was originally 32GB and is now a bit less, it's where I process incomings. Main is only 6GB or so, where processed books end up. The trash-problem library so far is Add. I don't remember if Main had the same problem, I'll test it. Both are on same internal drive as OSX and calibre.

The copying will finish in a few minutes

Last edited by unboggling; 07-31-2011 at 04:30 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:34 PM   #15
unboggling
Wizard

Trash problems with both Add and Main libraries on internal drive, resulting apparently from permissions problems. Add and Main deletes don't show up in trash but do actually get deleted. Trash-logs for Add and Main attached.

I have admin priveleges on this account. Or should, anyway. I don't know what's suddenly changed....

The prior test earlier on the external drive - those permissions worked, those deletes showed up in Trash.
Attached Files
File Type: zip TrshAdd.txt.zip (1.2 KB, 109 views)
File Type: zip TrshMain.txt.zip (1.1 KB, 123 views)