Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-12-2010, 03:08 PM   #1
troymc
Groupie
troymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505 + B&N Nook + Motion LE1700 + Motorola Xoom Wifi
calibre + encrypted fonts

How does Calibre's handle epubs with encrypted fonts?

Adobe's Epub best practices guide contains encrypted fonts. Only the fonts are encrypted - not the text/images. If I add it to Calibre & click view it opens in the internal reader just fine.

But double clicking on the file (which opens Calibre's reader), or trying to open it directly from Calibre's reader, generates the "This book is protected by DRM." message.

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/digitalp...ces-1_0_3.epub

Troy
troymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:30 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I was able to open that file in the viewer directly with no problems. calibre decrypts encrypted fonts in epub. Are you sure you tried the same file both times?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2010, 03:49 PM   #3
troymc
Groupie
troymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enough

Ok, I just tried to replicate what I did.

Import it into Calibre, export it, then try double-clicking on the exported epub.

Troy
Old 05-12-2010, 06:36 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by troymc View Post
Ok, I just tried to replicate what I did.

Import it into Calibre, export it, then try double-clicking on the exported epub.

Troy
This is a non-update???

What were your results?

I had no trouble with importing or converting this file and reading it at every stage with Calibre's viewer.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:03 PM   #5
troymc
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
This is a non-update???

What were your results?

I had no trouble with importing or converting this file and reading it at every stage with Calibre's viewer.
Yes - there were no changes.

I just replicated the issue on 3 different machines. (of course they are all *my* machines so they could all be broken the same way! )

Here's all I did:
  1. download Adobe epub
  2. drag-n-drop to add to Calibre
  3. click "Save to disk"
  4. navigate to exported epub & double-click
  5. DRM error

Here's what I see when I try to run ebook-viewer from the command line:

Code:
$ ebook-viewer *.epub

** (<unknown>:5344): CRITICAL **: atk_object_set_name: assertion `name != NULL' failed
link  hasn't been detected!
InputFormatPlugin: EPUB Input running
on /home/philosoph/Downloads/Team, Adobe Digital Editions/EPUB Best Practices/EPUB Best Practices - Adobe Digital Editions Team.epub
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/ebooks/epub/input.py", line 54, in process_encryption
  File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/ebooks/epub/input.py", line 26, in decrypt_font
TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for ^: 'int' and 'str'
And then I get the DRM message.

Here's when I open the good version from my actual Calibre library:

Code:
$ ebook-viewer *.epub

** (<unknown>:5238): CRITICAL **: atk_object_set_name: assertion `name != NULL' failed
InputFormatPlugin: EPUB Input running                                                 
on /media/DATA/library/elibrary/philosophy/Adobe Digital Editions Team/EPUB Best Practices (3557)/EPUB Best Practices - Adobe Digital Editions Team.epub
Loaded embedded font: u'Myriad Pro'                                                                                                                     
Loaded embedded font: u'Adobe Jenson Pro'
Loaded embedded font: u'Bell Gothic Std'
WARNING: Family aliasing not fully supported.
        Declared family: Courier not in actual families: [u'Courier New']
Substituting font family: Myriad Pro -> Myriad Pro
Substituting font family: Myriad Pro -> Myriad Pro
Substituting font family: Adobe Jenson Pro -> Adobe Jenson Pro
   ...continues & opens book...
I've attached the exported file that gives the DRM error.

EDIT: comparing the two shows only the .opf file changed - the metadata has been updated. But nothing which should have caused this.

On a side note, I notice that the original epub has the language set to 'en', but the exported epub is set to 'UND'. That's probably a bug of it's own. Manually fixing it still gives the DRM error.

Troy
Attached Files
File Type: epub EPUB Best Practices - Adobe Digital Editions Team.epub (444.5 KB, 309 views)

Last edited by troymc; 05-12-2010 at 07:07 PM.
Advert
Old 05-12-2010, 07:21 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by troymc View Post
Here's all I did:
  1. download Adobe epub
  2. drag-n-drop to add to Calibre
  3. click "Save to disk"
  4. navigate to exported epub & double-click
  5. DRM error
Interesting, I was able to

Add/Import the epub
View the epub
Convert the epub
View the epub again after conversion

But once I used the save to disk feature, then tried to read this new epub that had been saved to disk, Calibre's viewer declared it to be DRM'd.

Hopefully this will give Kovid what he needs to isolate the error.

Update: It opens fine in ADE, Firefox using the Epubreader extension, and Sigil.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 05-12-2010 at 07:27 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:02 AM   #7
troymc
Groupie

Thanks for confirming this.

I have finals all week, but I'll look for another epub with encrypted fonts and try to narrow this down further - then I'll get a ticket opened.

Troy
Old 05-15-2010, 12:14 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Fix will be in next release.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote