Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-31-2012, 10:15 PM   #106
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
No I think either he was told misinformation or had someone pick some out. I really don't think Amazon would say something was fix when it wasn't. At this point I would email Jeff himself. Send him all correspondences, pics...etc.

The vacation was okay, a little stressful how my husband's family is. I did get to meet my 6 year old nephew. Who is now in remission from a 5 year battle from Leukemia after two bone marrow transplants.

The first night I wanted go home. lol My FIL booked us in the wrong kind of hotel. It was very dirty, stunk and had boards for a mattress. I even saw a few drug deals go down. We checked into the Holiday Inn on the next day which was wonderful. A little pricey but worth it. The night before we were to drive back the next day I got a call from my mother telling my sister had a heart attack and was being rush to the hospital. She's okay now but it was a horrible night having to make a zillion phone calls and waiting for the doctors to tell me her diagnosis. Coming home was fun. We went from windy and rainy to blizzard conditions as we hit the mountains. Had to take a few detours to get home. The cats were very happy to see me and now I'm ready to recoup from the past few days and do some reading to relax.
Daaarn, you deserve a nice day on the couch with a blanket and your kindle! I hope your sister will recover quickly.

Last edited by xendula; 10-31-2012 at 10:29 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:29 PM   #107
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
I know, it is very disappointing. I really don't understand why they said they had a solution. Did they really think they did or are they just giving us the runaround at this point? I'm confused about it. I will say when I told Andrew the problem hasn't been solved he didn't act surprised at all.

My unit is the best one I have had yet, but I still see hues on it sometimes. Oddly sometimes I see nothing at all and then suddenly I will see something very faint. Crazy.

I hope you had a nice vacation despite the weather, Blossom.
Though the hues on the newest units I received this week are not as pronounced, they are still there. Always.

I know I am preaching to the choir here, but I just don't understand: did they not see there were color hues as they were developing the technology, did they take a calculated risk despite the color hues, or are the hues not supposed to be there and Amazon is taken by surprise? Only in the third scenario would this issue then be fixable on this version of the PW.
Did they only have a handful of engineeers working on this technology, and do these engineers all have some color sight weakness?
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:43 PM   #108
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Daaarn, you deserve a nice day on the couch with a blanket and your kindle! I hope your sister will recover quickly.
Thanks. I had to get firm with her today to just rest! She's older than me so she should know better but....

Yes I do need a day like that. Today though I was snoring instead. I could probably nap even more, I am that exhausted. I need to buy a book. If I buy a book I will feel better. It's my drug of choice.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:21 PM   #109
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
We can only speculate, but it is possible Amazon recognizes that outspoken forums can impact public views on the PW. MR seems to be the leading forum to challenge the PW quality. I think they were just doing damage control and trying to hand pick a few good units for you and Xendela. I truly hope they fix the problems with the PW, but to be honest I seriously doubt they will. The fix will be in the 2nd generation, if even then. I've NEVER seen any eInk device with an added layer on top of the eInk screen that didn't look like the filling inside of a baby's diaper! I really don't think any light layer will EVER work correctly. They need to find another solution. And they need to return to the IR touch screen rather than that gawd awful capacitive layer.

I agree with everything you said, although I am still hoping that the 2nd generation PW will be better. I look at the Kobo Glow and and Nook Glow Light and there are no color hue issues at all. I know they both use IR screens. Surely Amazon can at least solve that issue. (LOL about the baby diaper bit. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Though the hues on the newest units I received this week are not as pronounced, they are still there. Always.

I know I am preaching to the choir here, but I just don't understand: did they not see there were color hues as they were developing the technology, did they take a calculated risk despite the color hues, or are the hues not supposed to be there and Amazon is taken by surprise? Only in the third scenario would this issue then be fixable on this version of the PW.
Did they only have a handful of engineeers working on this technology, and do these engineers all have some color sight weakness?
It's baffling, isn't it? How could they not see them? Maybe they did, but just rushed getting them out anyway. My new PW is odd. The color hues are not always there. Sometimes it really is perfectly white. It's amazing then. When I first turn it on they are not there at all. (And other times as well) Then suddenly I will see them appear ever so slightly. It almost seems like they appear more when the device becomes warm. And some PW's have much more blue and some have much more pink.

It's still far better than my previous PW's, but it bothers me that I ever see them at all. As far as the engineers... I think something in the process got screwed up and I really don't know if I believe they are working on a fix at this time. If they are, I don't think we will see if anytime soon. Maybe in the PW 2.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:24 PM   #110
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Well, the good news is at least Amazon has not said this is normal variance and these units are performing within normal specs!

If there's no fix, they can just replace units for unhappy customers and change the design for new improved pw 2 without ever acknowledging there ever was a problem. The pw is selling like hot cakes and most people are happy with their screen. They don't need to lie. They just need to keep mum.

So I think they do have a fix, or at least they think they have a fix. I think it's a problem that crept up when they went to mass production. It's going to take a little time to implement it.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote