Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-30-2012, 08:46 PM   #91
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
One other thing I have noticed. On all my previous PW's when I would be in a book and bring up a secondary screen, (font, dictionary, etc.) when I returned to the book the font would be messed up. It wasn't glaringly obvious, but obvious enough where I noticed it. Some areas would be darker/bolder looking than others, some more faint.

On my latest PW that doesn't happen. So there's been an improvement there. How or why is anyone's guess.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:17 PM   #92
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Firmware on all of mine is 5.2.0
I just realized that the ones I have all start with B01B, new and old. Hmm.

So, here's my newest update. Andrew will send me a replacement, and he wants me to send the latest defective one in for investigation. I wonder if it is because of the smudges under the screen or the dead pixel type issues. Something about this unit piqued their interest. While I was talking to him, I noticed that the smudges are not only along the bottom, they seem to be underneath the entire screen. You notice them on black, so that's why I had not seen them before. The crazy thing is that despite its issues, this is the one I would have held on to as my second unit because of its crisp font, if he had not agreed to a replacement. They need this one ASAP, and I would rather hold on to it until the new unit arrives, just in case the new one does not have the crisp font. Dilemma.
Anyhow, I am so grateful Andrew is always following up and is doing anything it takes to help. To me, after the disastrous first calls, Amazon completely redeemed themselves.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:36 PM   #93
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Were all of yours 3G units, xendula? This one is my first. So maybe that is how the numbers start on those units? Could simply be that.

I'm glad you're getting another replacement. I can understand the dilemma though, it's hard to give one up once you're more happy with it. I would personally just hold on to it until you get the next one, it'll only be a couple of days difference.

I've been grateful for Andrew's call too, it's always helpful to only talk to one person who understands your issues and is willing to help. I was so frustrated talking to different reps each time.

I still feel disappointed to some extent though, I guess. I just don't understand why they said they solved the problem when they didn't. Not Andrew's fault, of course, but it's frustrating nonetheless. Good luck with your next. Keep up posted on how it all goes for you.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:44 PM   #94
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not all of them were. I'll double check the wifi one.

I agree, it is a bit disappointing. You have a non blotchy unit, so that does give me hope. Otherwise I would have concluded that there is nothing that can be done about the colors.

I am still in love with the PW software and body and I know I could never go back, though touching to turn pages is still inconvenient. My little K4B is being completely neglected, and I won't even mention my trusty old K4S.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:10 AM   #95
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@sparklemotion: Yes .

B024: WiFi
B01B: US 3G
B01D: UK 3G
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:54 AM   #96
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Thanks for the confirmation, NiLuJe.

xendula - I know what you mean because I really love everything about the PW too. That's why it was so hard to give up on it. How soon do you expect your next replacement?
Old 10-31-2012, 11:50 AM   #97
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Well I'm am disappointed. I just got back from a Mini vacation in North Carolina. Really it was a visit with my hubby's family. Boy that was fun. It was so windy, you had to fight the wind to just walk.. So I am catching up on how the replacements looks

It seems they haven't solved the blotchy problem after all.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:55 AM   #98
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

I know, it is very disappointing. I really don't understand why they said they had a solution. Did they really think they did or are they just giving us the runaround at this point? I'm confused about it. I will say when I told Andrew the problem hasn't been solved he didn't act surprised at all.

My unit is the best one I have had yet, but I still see hues on it sometimes. Oddly sometimes I see nothing at all and then suddenly I will see something very faint. Crazy.

I hope you had a nice vacation despite the weather, Blossom.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:58 AM   #99
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
I bought the wifi model from Best Buy when it was available last week. I'm not happy with it (far from it) but after 3 versions (3G) from Amazon, I decided not to ask for another replacement. I returned all 3 and repurchased one. The expected delivery is sometime mid-December. I figure they would fix it by then. Now I'm not sure if they'll fix it at all.

I'm very tempted to return my wifi and get the iPad mini instead.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:14 PM   #100
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
I know, it is very disappointing. I really don't understand why they said they had a solution. Did they really think they did or are they just giving us the runaround at this point? I'm confused about it. I will say when I told Andrew the problem hasn't been solved he didn't act surprised at all.

My unit is the best one I have had yet, but I still see hues on it sometimes. Oddly sometimes I see nothing at all and then suddenly I will see something very faint. Crazy.

We can only speculate, but it is possible Amazon recognizes that outspoken forums can impact public views on the PW. MR seems to be the leading forum to challenge the PW quality. I think they were just doing damage control and trying to hand pick a few good units for you and Xendela. I truly hope they fix the problems with the PW, but to be honest I seriously doubt they will. The fix will be in the 2nd generation, if even then. I've NEVER seen any eInk device with an added layer on top of the eInk screen that didn't look like the filling inside of a baby's diaper! I really don't think any light layer will EVER work correctly. They need to find another solution. And they need to return to the IR touch screen rather than that gawd awful capacitive layer.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:23 PM   #101
tmf2
Zealot
tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 Kindle PW
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
We can only speculate, but it is possible Amazon recognizes that outspoken forums can impact public views on the PW. MR seems to be the leading forum to challenge the PW quality. I think they were just doing damage control and trying to hand pick a few good units for you and Xendela. I truly hope they fix the problems with the PW, but to be honest I seriously doubt they will. The fix will be in the 2nd generation, if even then. I've NEVER seen any eInk device with an added layer on top of the eInk screen that didn't look like the filling inside of a baby's diaper! I really don't think any light layer will EVER work correctly. They need to find another solution. And they need to return to the IR touch screen rather than that gawd awful capacitive layer.
I think the problem is more then likely due to the capactive layer, buy hey......what do I know. I returned my last one for a refund. As a side note tracking can be done via the tracking code on the return label.
tmf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:25 PM   #102
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiegirl View Post
I bought the wifi model from Best Buy when it was available last week. I'm not happy with it (far from it) but after 3 versions (3G) from Amazon, I decided not to ask for another replacement. I returned all 3 and repurchased one. The expected delivery is sometime mid-December. I figure they would fix it by then. Now I'm not sure if they'll fix it at all.

I'm very tempted to return my wifi and get the iPad mini instead.
If I didn't already have an iPad3 that is the route I would have gone too! Instead I chose the Fire HD 7". It is really good for reading, but I hate the apps. As an example, I assist several organizations including two local EOCs (Emergency Operation Centers) and the local NWS office as an amateur radio operator and storm spotter. I took the opportunity to do practice-training during Sandy, even though I'm far away from the impact areas. I tried every way I could to make my Fire HD useful to storm tracking, but it was nearly totally useless due to the lack of any good apps. The iPad3 on the other hand became a very useful and indispensable tool to supplement my computers and radios.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:27 PM   #103
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:

No I think either he was told misinformation or had someone pick some out. I really don't think Amazon would say something was fix when it wasn't. At this point I would email Jeff himself. Send him all correspondences, pics...etc.

The vacation was okay, a little stressful how my husband's family is. I did get to meet my 6 year old nephew. Who is now in remission from a 5 year battle from Leukemia after two bone marrow transplants.

The first night I wanted go home. lol My FIL booked us in the wrong kind of hotel. It was very dirty, stunk and had boards for a mattress. I even saw a few drug deals go down. We checked into the Holiday Inn on the next day which was wonderful. A little pricey but worth it. The night before we were to drive back the next day I got a call from my mother telling my sister had a heart attack and was being rush to the hospital. She's okay now but it was a horrible night having to make a zillion phone calls and waiting for the doctors to tell me her diagnosis. Coming home was fun. We went from windy and rainy to blizzard conditions as we hit the mountains. Had to take a few detours to get home. The cats were very happy to see me and now I'm ready to recoup from the past few days and do some reading to relax.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:51 PM   #104
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
No I think either he was told misinformation or had someone pick some out. I really don't think Amazon would say something was fix when it wasn't. At this point I would email Jeff himself. Send him all correspondences, pics...etc.

The vacation was okay, a little stressful how my husband's family is. I did get to meet my 6 year old nephew. Who is now in remission from a 5 year battle from Leukemia after two bone marrow transplants.

The first night I wanted go home. lol My FIL booked us in the wrong kind of hotel. It was very dirty, stunk and had boards for a mattress. I even saw a few drug deals go down. We checked into the Holiday Inn on the next day which was wonderful. A little pricey but worth it. The night before we were to drive back the next day I got a call from my mother telling my sister had a heart attack and was being rush to the hospital. She's okay now but it was a horrible night having to make a zillion phone calls and waiting for the doctors to tell me her diagnosis. Coming home was fun. We went from windy and rainy to blizzard conditions as we hit the mountains. Had to take a few detours to get home. The cats were very happy to see me and now I'm ready to recoup from the past few days and do some reading to relax.
You're probably right. I certainly don't think Andrew has anything to do with it, he just goes by what he is being told. I feel sorry for him having to deal with all these complaints.

Your vacation sounds stressful. It must be nice to be home with the cats now. It's funny how sometimes coming home is when you feel you can really relax. I'm glad your sister and little nephew are doing well. 6 is so young to have to go through so much. Poor sweetie. I'm glad he's doing well now.

I hear you on the bad hotel experience too. My worst was at a hotel in Chicago. My then boyfriend and I were on a road trip and, spur of the moment, decided to drive to Chicago. We saw signs for Chicago and that was all the inspiration we needed apparently. lol. It was about 10 hours away. haha. It was the weekend and by the time we got there we couldn't get a hotel to save our life.

Finally we found one. Wow, worst hotel ever. A total dive. We were getting settled and I was thinking - it feels really cold in here. I went to open the drapes (the window was huge, almost the full length of the wall) only to find the window had - no glass! Insane. There was also what looked like red blood stains on the top of the ceiling. Gak. Drug dealers were all over the place too. At least it gives you something to look back and laugh over. Plus it was all worth it just to visit the Art Institute of Chicago and see van Gogh's "The Bedroom" painting.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:10 PM   #105
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Thanks for the confirmation, NiLuJe.

xendula - I know what you mean because I really love everything about the PW too. That's why it was so hard to give up on it. How soon do you expect your next replacement?
Anndrew said he'd call me back last night. He did, and asked me if it was OK with me if he set up the replacement this morning. I said that was fine, since I figured the poor guy needed to wrap up at work and go home.
The replacement never showed under my orders today, and he called me back tonight saying that he just wanted to keep me in the loop about the replacement and that he should manage to set it up tomorrow. I said OK and thanked him for keeping me in the loop, but now I wonder what that is all about?! I'll write an update when I know more. hmmmm.