Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-05-2012, 12:24 PM   #151
The Straven
Nevermore
The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: ex-iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
It's my opinion. I don't believe in different rules for different types of property.
A reply gracious in its forthrightness. Kudos to you.

Quote:
Those same Founding Fathers were also slave owners.
Ad hominem, I believe. Half a kudos deducted; overall credit: 1/2 kudos.
The Straven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:12 PM   #152
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
I don't see a difference between tangible property and intellectual property.
Umm, you are kidding right?

Lets say I have a watch. If give you the watch; I no longer have it.

Now, lets say I have an idea. I tell you the idea; I still have the idea.

Normal property laws are there to protect something that exists in a limited sense. There is only so much land, or goods that exist at a given point in time. Property rights are designed to protect markets (i.e., you get to keep exclusive use of your book, your patent, etc. so you can make a decent profit on it before anyone else has a chance to).

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2012, 01:26 PM   #153
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Straven View Post
Ad hominem, I believe. Half a kudos deducted; overall credit: 1/2 kudos.
Any chance I can swap that for half a banana?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #154
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
Now, lets say I have an idea. I tell you the idea; I still have the idea.
An idea isn't property. Creating something with it is.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:59 PM   #155
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
And if I copy your book, you still have your book. Therefore, the distinction exists.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2012, 02:09 PM   #156
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Isn't it interesting, though, that one really does not own copies of one's likeness? Good luck trying to get most social sharing websites to take down a picture of you that was taken without your permission, in a non-public place, that may or may not damage your reputation or career.

Throwing that out there.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:56 PM   #157
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
We are talking about access to books. You can easily access them legally just by paying for them.
I can legally access a great multitude of books without paying for them.

Why is "picking up a book someone left at the mailboxes in my apartment and chopping and scanning it" a reasonable action, but "reading a book I downloaded" is "slave labor from content creators for my personal pleasure?"

In either case, the author gets no money. In the case of the download, the author might get another reader; the book I chopped-and-scanned is a dead end for the creator.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:40 PM   #158
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
What is it about “art” that makes it different than any other human endeavor? I work, I receive the rewards for that work in the form of a salary, I use that salary to accumulate stuff, I die, and my heirs inherited my stuff. Since I’m dead, I get no more salary. Neither do my heirs!

Why does an artist continue to receive a salary after he/she’s dead? Why do his/her heirs get to continue to receive a salary when mine do not? It seems to me that the heirs should be entitled to the stuff already accumulated, but not to accumulate more stuff.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:51 PM   #159
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The money that someone makes from a sale of a book is not a salary. Copyright ending at the author's death is a major disincentive to continue writing. Copyright is a deal where the author gets a limited time exclusive right to copy a work. It gives the author incentive to create, and in exchange, the work eventually enters the public domain.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:53 PM   #160
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
What is it about “art” that makes it different than any other human endeavor? I work, I receive the rewards for that work in the form of a salary, I use that salary to accumulate stuff, I die, and my heirs inherited my stuff. Since I’m dead, I get no more salary. Neither do my heirs!

Why does an artist continue to receive a salary after he/she’s dead? Why do his/her heirs get to continue to receive a salary when mine do not? It seems to me that the heirs should be entitled to the stuff already accumulated, but not to accumulate more stuff.
Actually, I think you are being a little unfair here. I agree that copyright terms should be limited. But it is clear that there are certain human endeavors that continue to pay off for the family of the individual who did the work.

Consider the following:

I buy a piece of cheap land, be it swamp, forest or whatever. I then spend years working to improve that land and plant a vineyard. My family can then, with far less effort maintain the vineyard and reap profits from the grapes produced long after I am gone.

Likewise, if I build a business, my heirs can continue to profit from that business; Bill Ford is not Chairman of the Ford Motor Company Board because the Board thinks it is neat that he has the same last name as the company founder.

--
Bill
Old 03-05-2012, 04:14 PM   #161
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How is this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
The money that someone makes from a sale of a book is not a salary. Copyright ending at the author's death is a major disincentive to continue writing.
related to this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
Copyright is a deal where the author gets a limited time exclusive right to copy a work. It gives the author incentive to create, and in exchange, the work eventually enters the public domain.
And whether or not it is a “disincentive to continue writing” is entirely dependent on the author’s motivation. My experience is that artists’ motivations are more dependent on their art than their heirs.

And by the way, if "salary" can be defined as a reward for my labor, then "The money that someone makes from a sale of a book" most certainly is, just as the profit from a business is. Heirs inherit the business, and receive any profit they make from their own labor in that business.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:24 PM   #162
bill_mchale
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
And whether or not it is a “disincentive to continue writing” is entirely dependent on the author’s motivation. My experience is that artists’ motivations are more dependent on their art than their heirs.
That depends on the author, and what they are writing. And besides, there is writing and then there is publishing. I have referenced him before, and I will again. Salinger appears to have wrote 15 novels in the last 40 years of his life and published exactly none of them because his existing work provided him enough to live off of.

Other authors, even serious authors, have written books purely to cover the expenses of living. Sometimes these works are throw aways while they pursue their more serious work, other times it is the serious work and finally sometimes work that was meant to earn quick buck out lives the more "serious" work.

--
Bill
Old 03-05-2012, 04:32 PM   #163
QuantumIguana
Philosopher

A salary is what an employer pays you for work. If I sell you a book, that is income, but not salary. A technical writer will get paid a salary for writing, they don't make their living by selling their writing. Someone who writes books to sell isn't paid for writing them, but makes income when the book sells. Salary ends when the work ends, but selling doesn't.

Money is a part of most people's motivations, artists included. People who have heirs tend not to care what happens to them. The artist who claims not to care about such things probably doesn't have anyone buying their products.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:37 PM   #164
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
But you've said that you recognise no distinction between physical and intellectual property. An idea is intellectual property, and is a protected intellectual property if patented.

Last edited by pdurrant; 03-06-2012 at 04:13 AM. Reason: fixed a typo
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:28 PM   #165
wodin
Illiterate

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
But you've said that your recognise no distinction between physical and intellectual property. An idea is intellectual property, and is a protected intellectual property if patented.
And we all know the havoc that that idea has caused… no? Just ask Apple and Samsung!

Oh well, I guess lawyers have to make a living too.

Last edited by wodin; 03-05-2012 at 06:30 PM.