Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-01-2012, 04:50 PM   #76
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscoach View Post
Do you really think publishers would pay the heirs? Really? They would be like, "Sorry, it's out of copyright and public domain now. No soup for you."
If a contract was signed, then yes. There are, presumably, laws in the US, including contract law. If they don't want to pay, then they can hand the manuscript back and the family is free to approach someone else.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:51 PM   #77
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
It makes the contract meaningless.
Of course it doesn't.
Advert
Old 03-01-2012, 04:56 PM   #78
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscoach View Post
Thanks for that tidbit. I wonder if it has ever been challenged? It seems to me if someone puts up with a writer during the creation and re-creation (editing) then they would get something automatically. LOL
Er, well, my husband doesn't "put up" with me for financial gain. Nor do I, him. We love each other. If we didn't, we wouldn't be married anymore. No drama necessary.

I've requested to him that if I die in the middle of an unfinished writing project, I want him to pass on the results to my existing readers via my blog. As for my existing copyrights... I don't know. I think I'd like to specify that they pass into PD when I die. I haven't decided yet. (This is why I haven't updated the will yet.)

I would of course love to make a billion dollars as an author. But I don't want to lose sight of my deeply held belief that I owe everything to my wonderful readers.

ETA: And he's a bedroom programmer as a hobbyist. I don't think we've had the discussion, but were he to die first, I'm pretty sure he'd like me to disseminate the code for whatever project he had going at the time. His most popular program is donation supported.

Last edited by anamardoll; 03-01-2012 at 04:59 PM.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:56 PM   #79
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfaborac View Post
Of course it doesn't.
I just demonstrated quite clearly that is does. Just because there is a contract, the publisher isn't obligated to actually sell the book, and even if they did, no one would buy it from that publisher. They would buy it from the publisher who was under no obligation to pay the author's estate anything, because that second publisher could afford to sell it for less.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:03 PM   #80
Belfaborac
Wizard

You did no such thing, but I think I'll leave it here regardless. I need a snack, then I'll stick a movie on and in any case I've spent quite enough time on stuff which will not come to pass in my life time. You have my permission to treat my tired withdrawal as a victory if you so desire.
Advert
Old 03-01-2012, 05:11 PM   #81
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
copyright should end at death. does your family keep collecting money in perpetuity if you spent your life working in a warehouse? no. so why should they if you wrote a book?
Why should they if you own stock? Or rental property? Or farmland?

Labor is not the the same as property, and it never has been.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:14 PM   #82
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I notice you made no effort to refute anything I said. This is probably because you can't. I'll make it simple.

Let us stipulate that copyright expires at a person's death, and that an author has a contract with a publisher, giving a 30% royalty.

The author dies, and at that moment, the book becomes public domain.

This means anyone can publish it.

Other publishers exist.

Any one of these publishers can sell the book, because it is in the public domain.

These other publishers are not bound by the contract between the author and the original publisher.

The other publishers do not have to pay royalties on this book.

Because they do not need to pay royalties, the other publishers can sell the book more cheaply than can the original publishers.

The original publisher will not be able to make money selling the book at all, and therefore, will not sell it.

Which of these premises do you disagree with? I don't need to take your withdrawal as victory, I know that I have facts and logic on my side.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:15 PM   #83
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfaborac View Post
I'm pretty sure you know full well that that is a false assumption. An author's copyrights are part of his assets only because current laws say they are. Laws can be changed, to make this no longer be the case.
Yeah, laws can be changed to do anything, including prohibiting inheritance. What is your point? Copyrights are property right now that can be passed down like any other property.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:17 PM   #84
QuantumIguana
Philosopher

Copyright is ending at the death of the author is not the only alternative to perpetual copyright.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:48 PM   #85
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKFFW View Post
I guess your ability to spot irony and facetiousness only extends to editorials and not thread replies.
Drat! I'm going to plead a modified form of Poe's Law on this one. Poe's law states:

Quote:
Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing.
Of course, you'll have to replace "fundamentalism" with "eternal copyright", but you get the idea.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #86
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
I feel like this conversation has gotten hung up on the idea of copyright ending at the death of the author. Would there be any objection to it just ending after some number of years, say something between 20 to 300,000 without reference to the life of the author?
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:06 PM   #87
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
I don't see why it can't be something like death or X number of years, which ever is later. That way the older stuff goes PD when the author dies and yet still covers circumstances where the author dies unexpectedly or has published late in life.
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:12 PM   #88
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
I wouldn't object to a set number, regardless of the author's life status. I can see the benefit of that. Surely a author can squeeze all they can out of X years. I do see a POSSIBLE need for some short extension. Say they write the first book and it does modestly well. Maybe even several books. Years later they write a huge hit and it renews interest in their first books. What if those books were going out of copyright or just went out? I don't see where the publisher should reap all the rewards.

But you know what? I don't know the answer and this is why I am not the one in charge. I am terrible at these types of decisions. LOL I give myself a headache if I think of all sides for too long.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:45 PM   #89
QuantumIguana
Philosopher

I may be satisfied not to have the copyright period extended further. One problem with extending the copyright term for the small percentage of works that still have commercial value is that a lot of other works fall through the cracks.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:27 AM   #90
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Well, let's see.........

...."does your family keep collecting money in perpetuity if you spent your life working in a warehouse? .."

Ummmm.... presumably said family might - if it's in a signed legal contract that they will.

And ....you'd need a lawyer, prob'ly, to fight off the company that realised what twit's they'd been.

[ P'raps a profitable opening here for Ninja ? ]
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote