Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 01-29-2010, 11:43 PM   #16
kolrone
Enthusiast
kolrone doesn't litterkolrone doesn't litter

Device: jetBook-Lite, eBookwise-1150
I usually buy my books from Smashwords. I download the RTF versions, login to my eBookwise account, and it has an option for you to upload your files to convert for the reader.

Here is the link to login and upload content https://my.ebookwise.com/scripts/Web...a/PersonalDocs

And here is the link that provides more detailed steps:
http://www.ebookwise.com/servlet/mw?...tent.htm&si=43

It supports converting the following files:

Rich Text Format (.rtf)
Microsoft Word (.doc)
Plain Text (.txt)
Rocket eBook Editions (.rb)
HTML (.htm or .html)

Once you upload your content, all you have to do is connect your eBookwise and enjoy reading

As far as PDF and ePub goes you would have to convert it using something like Calibre.
kolrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:26 PM   #17
surrealmind
Connoisseur
surrealmind began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color CM7, EB 1150, TC1100
Quote:
1.Does this ebook take PDF format ok?
The short answer is no.

The longer answer--well there is a .pdf converter program for .imp files on mobileread somewhere. It will take the .pdf, chop each page roughly in half, and then display these half pages in "landscape mode," as it were, so that they can be somewhat readable. The main problem is that the screen is really too small for .pdfs, and I think this would be the case for just about any 6" or smaller e-reader. It is not really an eBookwise-specific fault. I've not played around with the program personally, but there are other practical considerations to think about too. For example, the converted .pdf will just be a series of image files, meaning the file size will be quite a lot bigger than a normal text .imp file. You're better off avoiding .pdfs if you can.

Glad to hear you've successfully downloaded some books. Sounds like you're getting the hang of things. The posts that are permanently displayed at the top of the eBookwise and .imp forums are a wealth of information for getter deeper into the intricacies of the device.
surrealmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2010, 10:00 PM   #18
xray1977
xray1977 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color CM7 SD Card
How about changing the pdf ebook into an rtf/doc file and then putting that into the reader instead?
xray1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:01 AM   #19
surrealmind
Connoisseur

Quote:
How about changing the pdf ebook into an rtf/doc file and then putting that into the reader instead?
If you can extract the text out of the .pdf file, sure. You could paste it into Word or OpenOffice and then upload it to your eBookwise account for easy conversion. Not all .pdfs contain selectable text however.

I do want to say that I tried the .pdf conversion program PDFRead (available here), and I found it works actually pretty decently. It's not the ideal solution, but if the font is large enough in the .pdf file, you can do quite well by it if you're okay with reading in landscape mode. Could be a good solution for academic articles, and etc; not sure it would be best for longer works. Of course since the program essentially converts the .pdf into image files, you cannot highlight text (but you can use the pen).
Old 02-18-2010, 08:49 AM   #20
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Bear with me, I have a much more basic question. Where can I buy Smart Media cards? And are they different from other cards? I've tried to do a google search and I mostly keep coming up with card readers, one of which we already have.

I had bought a card a few years ago for the 1200 - is it the same kind of largeish card?
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2010, 08:57 AM   #21
LauraLynn
Enthusiast
LauraLynn is on a distinguished road

Device: iPod Touch, Dell Axim X30 & EB1150
I got mine from Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...smart+media+ca
LauraLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:11 AM   #22
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you!
Old 02-18-2010, 08:11 PM   #23
surrealmind
Connoisseur

Quote:
Where can I buy Smart Media cards?
I've had good luck with EBay, as well. Could save a couple bucks if you're willing to wait out a deal.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:49 AM   #24
pendragginp
Guru

Yes, thanks. I got my first card (for the 1200, a few years ago) on ebay, but I was unsure if we were still talking about the same kind of thing for the 1150.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:49 AM   #25
surrealmind
Connoisseur

Quote:
Yes, thanks. I got my first card (for the 1200, a few years ago) on ebay, but I was unsure if we were still talking about the same kind of thing for the 1150.
Ah yes, I see. I had never heard of SmartMedia before I purchased my 1150, either. Quite a strange medium, kind of like 5.25" floppy's younger cousin.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:38 AM   #26
pendragginp
Guru

Yes, it really is!