Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-01-2024, 04:50 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Space between paragraphs or paragraph indents. Not both at the same time as in your image.
Can we also discuss to mention the lack of microjustification in your image? I prefer ragged right aka left justified text when microjustification is not available. I'm not even asking for the whole microtypography package just improving the appearance of the lines of text and reducing the rivers seen in your sample.
And no hyphenation.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 05:01 PM   #32
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And no hyphenation.
As mentioned, I prefer left justified text so no hyphenation.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2024, 05:18 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post
As others mentioned, you can remove the DRM with Calibre and an extention. Search for Apprentice Alf. It's a bit hassle the first time, but when it's set up its very easy!
Actually, that search is obsolete. The DeDRM was taken over and has moved to a new git and works much better. The current version is 10.0.9.

https://github.com/noDRM/DeDRM_tools
Old 03-01-2024, 05:24 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
As mentioned, I prefer left justified text so no hyphenation.
I prefer justified text with hyphenation.
Old 03-01-2024, 06:31 PM   #35
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, that search is obsolete. The DeDRM was taken over and has moved to a new git and works much better. The current version is 10.0.9.

https://github.com/noDRM/DeDRM_tools
Yes, and good you put a link! Github struggles with Malware attack
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2024, 07:03 AM   #36
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I like justified text with no hyphenation.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 08:16 AM   #37
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I like justified text with no hyphenation.
That needs a smaller font on a bigger screen.

In general, as the screen width in relation to font size gets smaller the hyphenation gets more frequent and annoying.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 08:43 AM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post

In general, as the screen width in relation to font size gets smaller the hyphenation gets more frequent and annoying.
I find with CharInk6SP with the smaller space, I find I have less hyphens then I did with the normal size space.
Old 03-02-2024, 09:26 AM   #39
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post

I guess it depends on your definition of "smaller" and "bigger".

I my 6" Kobo, with a large font (bigger then some paperback's), I like how it looks. I don't see any need for a smaller font or larger screen.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 12:15 PM   #40
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The point to be made here is:
Device makers need to STOP limiting how you choose to display basic text.

1) Use just the device settings
2) Use the books CSS / style (fallback is typical browser standards) ONLY.
3) Algebraic. Adjust the book CSS up or down by the device setting (separate from #1. saved with the book entry)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 02:01 PM   #41
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Device makers need to STOP limiting how you choose to display basic text.
That's why I often choose the draconian delete-all-css.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
... saved with the book entry
A nice idea, but that does make a few complications.

In real life, I never have to save per-book preferences.
I've got my font (and size), spacing and margins.
If anything else annoys me, I kill it.
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 03:21 PM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post

Removing the CSS would really annoy me and make the boom unreadable.
Old 03-02-2024, 03:56 PM   #43
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post

It is automatic, just like reading location (and current settings being used...at least on my Kobo and K4) The dif is the start point.

I also tweak my books CSS but others never touch the editor.
Most are easy to edit for my standardish
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 10:49 AM   #44
milo132
Banned
milo132 began at the beginning.

Device: android
When you buy books, ALWAYS download them to your computer using Calibre with the addition.
milo132 is offline   Reply With Quote