Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-11-2024, 01:48 PM   #61
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
That's frankly inconceivable to me. No matter how bad it is, I have to get my reading dose in; I'm addicted to reading, and have been since early childhood.
I wouldn't say that I'm addicted to reading.
Just when there is nothing to read I grab a bottle of soap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bronner.png
Views:	69
Size:	842.5 KB
ID:	205760  
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 01:56 PM   #62
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
It was inconceivable to me before it happened. Since I mainly listen to audiobooks, I was in the habit of clipping on my mp3 player and listening to it at any opportunity throughout the day while doing routine tasks, traveling, waiting, etc. But with all that was going on, I couldn't concentrate on what I was hearing, so listening became pointless. Gradually, I fell out of the habit. I expect I'll gradually get back in the habit, but for now, the quiet is nice too.
Ah. I've never been able to concentrate on audiobooks, podcasts and the like in the best of circumstances. I get bored almost immediately and my attention will wander. I can only enjoy a book if it's text.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2024, 01:59 PM   #63
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I expect I'll gradually get back in the habit, but for now, the quiet is nice too.
The quiet is nice. The quiet is one of the major reasons I don't like watching television.

I go in waves with audiobooks. I'll have a stretch where I listen every time I go out for a walk or get in the car, but then I'll have a stretch where I don't bother. And I don't think it reflects the quality or the enjoyment level of whatever book(s) I'm listening to; I think it's mostly that I bring a new appreciation for the experience to whichever one I change to. The exceptions are listening in bed (almost every night) and while swimming (always, but summertime only).

That said, while I value the experience of listening to audiobooks and derive great pleasure from it, I prefer reading and won't listen if I could be reading instead. However, there are certainly books I prefer in audio and I won't read them.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 02:03 PM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
If you are talking about something like Star Trek or Firefly, you know you can always skip those comics. Nobody is going to twist your arm, forcing you to read them.
Not those. For Star Trek, the comics are not part of the novel series. A series like The Dresden Files where there are graphic novels is where I dislike the graphic novels (aka comic books).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 02:06 PM   #65
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Ah. I've never been able to concentrate on audiobooks, podcasts and the like in the best of circumstances. I get bored almost immediately and my attention will wander. I can only enjoy a book if it's text.
I mostly listen to audiobooks and podcasts at night in bed before going to sleep.
Advert
Old 01-11-2024, 02:28 PM   #66
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I've just finished reading/formatting a "steamy" romance. The things we do for money. At least, the author has eschewed the word 'moist' in her last few books.

As an entrement, I'm re-reading of A Vindication of the Rights of Woman: with Strictures on Political and Moral Subjects. At times it's rather strange to realize how much and how little the balance between men and women has changed since 1792.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 02:31 PM   #67
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
What new genres have you discovered later on in your reading life?
Pre eink readers, I was a Scify reader, with a couple of exceptions (Stephen King, John Grisham, John Irving, maybe a couple of others). Now I'll read something if it piques my interest, although I seldom read non-fiction. I've added Pulitzer fiction winners to my TBR lists this year (I'm on my third one.)
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 02:35 PM   #68
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I mostly listen to audiobooks and podcasts at night in bed before going to sleep.
I did it in my late teens. It was a guaranteed way to make sure I never remembered even a word of what I heard in the morning. Since then, I haven't bothered.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 02:41 PM   #69
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
A series like The Dresden Files where there are graphic novels is where I dislike the graphic novels...
Just skip 'em. (Easy for me to say. I've never really cared for book series.)
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 02:47 PM   #70
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Just skip 'em. (Easy for me to say. I've never really cared for book series.)
It's not that Jon can't skip them, it's just that he appears to think no one else should be allowed to read them.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 03:23 PM   #71
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

To bring back Joy & Delight, as a kid, I loved movie novelizations (and to a lesser extent, I still do). Star Wars and especially The Hobbit*, The Dark Crystal and Gremlins.

I realized reading those books let me spend more time in worlds/stories that I already loved and gave me a richer experience than just watching the film alone.

It's a shame the way they have faded. They were a good way to get a book into the hands of a reluctant reader.

*I'm well aware The Hobbit is not a novelization. But I did see the animated version before I read the book.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 01-11-2024 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-11-2024, 04:12 PM   #72
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
It's not that Jon can't skip them, it's just that he appears to think no one else should be allowed to read them.
Nope I think they should not exist. Either it's a book series or a comic book series. But do not combine.
Old 01-11-2024, 04:13 PM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
To bring back Joy & Delight, as a kid, I loved movie novelizations (and to a lesser extent, I still do). Star Wars and especially The Hobbit*, The Dark Crystal and Gremlins.

I realized reading those books let me spend more time in worlds/stories that I already loved and gave me a richer experience than just watching the film alone.

It's a shame the way they have faded. They were a good way to get a book into the hands of a reluctant reader.

*I'm well aware The Hobbit is not a novelization. But I did see the animated version before I read the book.
I just wish they would leave the cover alone. A lot of the time the books have a good looking cover and then the movie comes out and the cover is ruined.
Old 01-11-2024, 04:25 PM   #74
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
I just wish they would leave the cover alone. A lot of the time the books have a good looking cover and then the movie comes out and the cover is ruined.
On movie novelizations, the cover is usually (but not always) the movie poster.

And honestly, with ebooks, who cares. You can typically find a scan of a different cover. So nothing is ruined.
Old 01-11-2024, 05:03 PM   #75
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
The quiet is nice. The quiet is one of the major reasons I don't like watching television.
I consider mindless television white noise.

Quote:

I used to buy and read novelizations when I was a kid, before videotapes. It was a way to hold on to and reexperience the movie--not very satisfactory, but at least it was something. I think I still have a few of those paperbacks.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote