Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-06-2023, 01:05 PM   #61
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Fair enough. Good luck.
Good luck at what exactly? I wasn’t asking for or needing anything.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 01:07 PM   #62
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
In fact, I cook as little as possible and love to avoid the kitchen. But hard-boiled eggs can be hard to get right and Alt-Lopez's method results in shells that almost fall off the egg. And no ice bath, either. He boiled 700 eggs to finetune his method, which shows it's not all that easy even for a professional cook.

Hmm, I’m curious what the method is. I’ll have to look it up. My method also results in very easy to peel eggs. Basically put eggs in cold water, bring to boil, then time it from there. I go to 10 minutes because of medical reasons (I can’t have undercooked food), but normally I’d go to 7 mins or so. After hard boiling, I take the eggs out with a slotted spoon, drop into a bowl and run cold water over that for a minute or two. The shells fall off when I do it this way.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2023, 01:16 PM   #63
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilson View Post
Hmm, I’m curious what the method is. I’ll have to look it up. My method also results in very easy to peel eggs. Basically put eggs in cold water, bring to boil, then time it from there. I go to 10 minutes because of medical reasons (I can’t have undercooked food), but normally I’d go to 7 mins or so. After hard boiling, I take the eggs out with a slotted spoon, drop into a bowl and run cold water over that for a minute or two. The shells fall off when I do it this way.
@Apache called it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I steam my eggs and the shells come off very easy.
Apache
Eggs right out of the frig, steam over an inch of boiling water, done. No need for cold water or ice bath.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 01:18 PM   #64
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Let's not have an escalation of any spat. Let it go.
Old 11-06-2023, 02:58 PM   #65
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Let it go means exactly that. Thanks.
Advert
Old 11-06-2023, 03:29 PM   #66
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
One of my somewhat distant relations is still very upset that the local library still has fantasy books and allows children (her's are 13 and 16) to borrow them. Her latest polemic was about how her children having read Patricia C. Wrede's Enchanted Forest Chronicles caused them to turn away from the church. The library encouraged them by allowing them to borrow ebooks so she did not realize what they were reading in time.

It didn't help when the older child quoted “That God is in truth the sort of bloodthirsty paranoid who would rend to bits forty-two children for the crime of sassing one of his priests.” and asked her to justify her "God is love" mantra.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 07:42 PM   #67
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Libraries can be dangerous like that. You never know when you might read something that has a radical effect on your worldview. Hopefully someday she can see it as an important step in her kids developing their own outlook, instead of as a rejection of hers, which she never had the ability to impose on them in the first place.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 09:43 PM   #68
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
I just had a nostalgic thought about physical books. When our kids were young, we told them that if they wanted a book, we would buy it for them. We would make family trips to Barnes & Noble and those were always very fun times for our family. The kids were always very appreciative and all smiles over their new books. And us parents were all smiles buying those books.

Things just aren't quite as fun with digital books. We still buy books for the kids. But of the digital variety the vast majority of the time. It costs a pretty penny to ship physical books (or anything else, for that matter) to one of the kids who lives in Hawaii.

So while I can honestly say that I very rarely buy physical books these days, there is a downside of not doing that that just struck me as I was reading this thread and had my nostalgic moment. I kind of miss those physical books and the family bookstore trips of years past...
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 12:34 PM   #69
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
I just had a nostalgic thought about physical books.
Yeah, I just heard a guy reminiscing about borrowing Stephen King's It from the library and reading it on the beach with sand getting in the pages.

That sort of book specific reminiscing will go away with ebooks. Though I have found I can still remember what books I was reading during specific times, like what book I was reading while I was on vacation and soforth. So not all such memories will be done away with.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 01:44 PM   #70
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Yeah, I just heard a guy reminiscing about borrowing Stephen King's It from the library and reading it on the beach with sand getting in the pages.

That sort of book specific reminiscing will go away with ebooks. Though I have found I can still remember what books I was reading during specific times, like what book I was reading while I was on vacation and soforth. So not all such memories will be done away with.
So now it will be I got sand in my USB port while reading Stephen King?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 06:20 AM   #71
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
So now it will be I got sand in my USB port while reading Stephen King?
The only thing that will clear sand from your USB port is a little "Wind through the keyhole".
neil_swann80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 09:40 AM   #72
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_swann80 View Post
The only thing that will clear sand from your USB port is a little "Wind through the keyhole".
Good one. I hated the Dark Tower Series. it was like a billion pages of gibberish
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 09:56 AM   #73
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_swann80 View Post
That title always makes me think of Bilbo and the dwarves sitting outside of the secret door on Lonely Mountain.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 12:04 PM   #74
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
Good one. I hated the Dark Tower Series. it was like a billion pages of gibberish
Based on the long break between the first book and the rest, I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be a standalone novel, and then he came up with some more ideas. And, it's pretty obvious that after the 3rd book, he just said "MOAR SERIES".
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 12:43 PM   #75
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabsltd View Post
Based on the long break between the first book and the rest, I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be a standalone novel, and then he came up with some more ideas. And, it's pretty obvious that after the 3rd book, he just said "MOAR SERIES".
I enjoyed the series and will likely re-read at some point, but I have to admit that it's not the best. A Lobstrosity perhaps?

King books always seem like a struggle to "get to the point". Just as it gets good he waterboards you with more backstory or irrelevant "character development".
neil_swann80 is online now   Reply With Quote