Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-28-2023, 04:59 PM   #16
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I rarely buy paper books, just Bible study type with Question & Answer sections, and the occasional coffee table book.

I have difficulty reading printed books, between the bleed through and the small text, my eyes can't take it. I tried to buy my latest study in a Kindle version, but the Kindle version was not the same as the print version, even though they were were sold from the same product page.

Last edited by Deskisamess; 10-28-2023 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Errors
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 06:59 PM   #17
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
In fact, I cook as little as possible and love to avoid the kitchen. But hard-boiled eggs can be hard to get right and Alt-Lopez's method results in shells that almost fall off the egg. And no ice bath, either. He boiled 700 eggs to finetune his method, which shows it's not all that easy even for a professional cook.
I steam my eggs and the shells come off very easy.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2023, 07:26 PM   #18
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Oddly similar to the method I learned from my mother decades back. The only difference is that instead of turning the heat to low, you turn the heat off completely and leave the eggs in the pot for 12 minutes instead of 11 minutes.

Admittedly, I have seen many methods for hard boiled eggs—some of which I wouldn't touch with a 3 metre slotted spoon—and people have sworn by almost any of them.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 07:28 PM   #19
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I don't plan on doing this often. I have no place to put physical books. lol With the 4 I just bought all together i have a total of 5 physical books.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 06:54 AM   #20
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Oddly similar to the method I learned from my mother decades back. The only difference is that instead of turning the heat to low, you turn the heat off completely and leave the eggs in the pot for 12 minutes instead of 11 minutes.

Admittedly, I have seen many methods for hard boiled eggs—some of which I wouldn't touch with a 3 metre slotted spoon—and people have sworn by almost any of them.
Putting the eggs in cold water and bringing to a boil cause the membrane to contract and stick to the egg. This makes it harder to peel the eggs. Putting them into already boiling water or into a steamer basket causes the membrane to stick to the shell. This makes peeling easier.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2023, 10:16 AM   #21
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Only as gifts. Books for kids, or cookbooks, art books, etc for adults

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 10:21 AM   #22
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Ebooks, the savior of millions of Baby Boomers eyes and continued reading!!!!

I haven't touched or bought a paper book since 2010, when I got my first Sony reader. Heck even before that, my reading was down to fan fiction that I copied into Word docs on my PC because I was tired of straining to read the small print on paper.

I have one full bookcase of my favorite books that I kept for nostalgia that I haven't touched, and I have a good many of them as ebooks.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 10:28 AM   #23
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
I donated the majority of my book collection to charity; only keeping my very favorites, some very old, and some very sentimental.

Last edited by neil_swann80; 10-29-2023 at 01:56 PM.
neil_swann80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 01:41 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I rarely buy paper books, just Bible study type with Question & Answer sections, and the occasional coffee table book.

I have difficulty reading printed books, between the bleed through and the small text, my eyes can't take it. I tried to buy my latest study in a Kindle version, but the Kindle version was not the same as the print version, even though they were were sold from the same product page.
The last pBook I bought was a study guide.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 01:44 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Before my mother switched to eBooks, I used to buy her gift certificates to Boarders. My mother sometimes shared pBooks with my sister. That stopped when she went eBooks as my sister does not read eBooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 09:44 PM   #26
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I haven't bought a paperbook since early 2019 and that was bought to convert to an ebook. All my novels are gone (Mom's too) and currently downsizing needlework and cookbooks as well.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 04:04 AM   #27
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
They add to the ambience of the room, so I tend to buy a few that have nice covers. I mostly look at them on the shelf and uplifted by the aesthetic experience start reading something on one of my ereaders.

I like physical art books and leather bound Bibles. And some hardcover books provided that the tactile experience is nice.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 09:59 AM   #28
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
Pretty much only graphic novels these days, and books that I think will look pretty on my shelf. I had so many ornate, leatherbound-with-gold leaf books on my shelf that I never read and probably never will read; I am at least being honest with myself now that they're purely decorative.

I did buy a hardback copy of the re-release of Stormbringer, recently, because I have a solid 30+ ebooks from Michael Moorcock in my collection and I thought I should have some token representation of him on my physical bookshelf. Stormbringer seemed like the obvious choice with its iconic cover.
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 10:12 AM   #29
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Chef View Post
I did buy a hardback copy of the re-release of Stormbringer, recently, because I have a solid 30+ ebooks from Michael Moorcock in my collection and I thought I should have some token representation of him on my physical bookshelf. Stormbringer seemed like the obvious choice with its iconic cover.
You can't read about magic swords without thinking of Moorcock.
neil_swann80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 10:30 AM   #30
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Not often as I used to but sometimes. I did buy Holly in Hardcover, and went to a Friends of the Library book sale this past weekend and got some used books. I also do collect the old vintage mysteries when I can find them.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote