Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 09-23-2020, 06:20 AM   #31
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
If they just released these two devices, how long will it take until the other registered releases, for example nova 3 will be announced? This mont next month?
MAX2 2018-08-20 vs MAXLUMI 2020-08-21 = 2 years
NOVA2 2020-04-01 vs NOVA3 2022-04-02?

Last edited by ottischwenk; 09-23-2020 at 06:22 AM.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:20 AM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morioh View Post
Why do they keep refusing to include sd cards ?
Most Readers do not have an SD card slot. That's nothing new. To be honest, I've never actually used an external SD card with any of my Readers that have one. 6 years with the H2O (come the end of November) and I've never once put an SD card in the SD card slot.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2020, 06:33 AM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm liking the Note Air.
Old 09-23-2020, 07:07 AM   #34
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Most Readers do not have an SD card slot. That's nothing new. To be honest, I've never actually used an external SD card with any of my Readers that have one. 6 years with the H2O (come the end of November) and I've never once put an SD card in the SD card slot.
However, the Boox devices are much more than simple readers. They are also note taking devices which many people use to annotate PDFs and for other such work. They also allow users to install apps.

As such, the internal memory of these devices can fill up fairly quickly. Having an external card slot would be useful for people who need to expand the memory capacity of the device.

Fortunately, the newer models seem to be employing OTG so that one could simply connect a USB drive to the device. That is not so with older models like the Note Pro.

But, even were older models to have OTG capabilities, it would mean that one would need to carry around an OTG cable and USB thumb drive. Just more stuff to carry about and potentially lose. Hence, an external card slot would be very beneficial to many people interested in such devices as opposed to those who can get by with a simple ereader. However, even then, one sees many people lamenting the lack of external card slots in places such as the Kobo forum.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 07:49 AM   #35
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you are going to post a Youtube video, please the vide and not just a link.

Please don't include the youtube thumbnails in your posts. Just include the link.

Thank you.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2020, 09:14 AM   #36
azayn
Groupie
azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nova 3, Galaxy S22+, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Why?
Do you really believe, that a Poke 3 would be better or faster?
Possibly, if they updated the device with certain features such as USB-C, Android 10, or changed the size somehow.
azayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:59 PM   #37
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azayn View Post
USB-C,
Yes, but better?
Quote:
Android 10,
Yes, but better?
Quote:
or changed the size somehow.
No
Old 09-23-2020, 01:39 PM   #38
azayn
Groupie
azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nova 3, Galaxy S22+, iPad
Quote:
Yes, but better?Yes, but better?No
I guess what’s “better” is subjective. I’m not sure what your criteria is, but USB-C is better to me because it eliminates the need to carry a separate cable for my reader. Given the choice between a device running Android 9 and Android 10, the newer OS provides better future proofing since Onyx doesn’t provide OS upgrades.
azayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 03:02 PM   #39
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by azayn View Post
I guess what’s “better” is subjective. I’m not sure what your criteria is, but USB-C is better to me because it eliminates the need to carry a separate cable for my reader.
Im using double sided USB A to micro USB Cables and for USB-C only a micro USB plug.
Data transfer over WiFi.
Quote:
Given the choice between a device running Android 9 and Android 10, the newer OS provides better future proofing since Onyx doesn’t provide OS upgrades.
All my used apps are working under android 4.4 - which is how old?
And it works with a single core 1 Ghz processor!
As fast as Poke2 with Android 9 and an octa-core 2 Ghz!
Btw: Onyx provides OS, but not Android upgrades!
Old 09-23-2020, 03:51 PM   #40
james_
Connoisseur
james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3,Oasis, YotaPhone 2, Boox Note2, Mi Pad 4+, Kobo Mini & Forma
Love Onyx. They release devices so often that you inadvertently get upgrades. I had a Note and the battery died on me after a month, I ended up with a Note Pro after I had sent the broken one back to Amazon.

The product churn acts as a disincentive to buy new product because you will wait till the feature you need is finally supplied (e.g. frontlight). Personally I think I'll stick with my Note Pro for a while longer! At some point they will maximise the size of the battery before shrinking it again, at that point you need to go to the shops as that model will probably be the peak of price/performance!
james_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 05:02 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

delete post
Old 09-23-2020, 06:48 PM   #42
Crowriver
Groupie
Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many!
Quote:
MAX2 2018-08-20 vs MAXLUMI 2020-08-21 = 2 years
NOVA2 2020-04-01 vs NOVA3 2022-04-02?
You forgot the Max 3, which came out last year. Effectively the Max Lumi is the Max 4. Or maybe they also plan a Max 4 without a front light?

My guess is the Nova 3, Note 3 will come out early 2021.

Last edited by Crowriver; 09-23-2020 at 06:51 PM.
Crowriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 11:14 PM   #43
M4H35H
Connoisseur
M4H35H doesn't litterM4H35H doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-950, Hanvon E920, Onyx Boox Note Lite, Boox Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowriver View Post
... that makes the functionality distinct from other Boox devices which are designed primarily for portrait mode operation. But the Note Air is not designed mainly for landscape mode in my view.
You're right. It would be absurd to use it in landscape mode alone simply because the logo is placed on the side.
M4H35H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 12:13 AM   #44
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4H35H View Post
You're right. It would be absurd to use it in landscape mode alone simply because the logo is placed on the side.
I hold all devices with the thick edge and the USB port at the bottom.
This is in landscape mode with the Tolino Epos2 and it would be the same with the Note Air.
Old 09-24-2020, 11:16 AM   #45
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowriver View Post
You forgot the Max 3, which came out last year. Effectively the Max Lumi is the Max 4. Or maybe they also plan a Max 4 without a front light?

My guess is the Nova 3, Note 3 will come out early 2021.

The Note Air is the replacement for the Note 2 - in my opinion.

I imagine that when a major update occurs for the Note Air, that it will not be called a Note 3 or Note 4.
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote