Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 09-21-2020, 08:15 AM   #16
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Re: the video:

DON'T
do what he did at 2:05 !

________

At 3:11, I think they mean 'trials'.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 09-21-2020 at 08:18 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 10:40 AM   #17
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowriver View Post
Well on that evidence then the Max Lumi is also designed for landscape use...
looking at the orientation of the logos, I would say you are wrong and they are right
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2020, 01:56 PM   #18
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Does any other company churn out new iterations of their products as often as Boox does?
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 03:03 PM   #19
Crowriver
Groupie
Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
looking at the orientation of the logos, I would say you are wrong and they are right
If you watch the launch video it's not the case. It even describes the large bezel as being for holding the device more easily. Like a Kobo Forma or Libra for example. You can see it used in the video in several orientations, because it has auto-rotate like a conventional tablet.

The logo is neither here nor there: a design flourish to set it at a jaunty angle.
Crowriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:13 PM   #20
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowriver View Post
If you watch the launch video it's not the case. It even describes the large bezel as being for holding the device more easily. Like a Kobo Forma or Libra for example. You can see it used in the video in several orientations, because it has auto-rotate like a conventional tablet.

The logo is neither here nor there: a design flourish to set it at a jaunty angle.
just a coincidence, right?
https://the-digital-reader.com/wp-co...note-air-1.jpg
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2020, 02:27 AM   #21
franzli
Addict
franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Onyx Boox T68 Plus
I'm a bit puzzled that the Note Air is actually a bit heavier than the Note 2, seems weird given the Air moniker. Also, it seems a bit lower specced - I think the Note 2 has 4GB RAM and 64 GB storage.

Last edited by franzli; 09-22-2020 at 09:12 AM.
franzli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 07:51 AM   #22
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
One is made out of plastic and the other aluminum. That's the weight difference. Silly name for sure.

Yep, less RAM and storage too. But it seems like maybe faster processor? They don't quite specify what which is annoying. It is also a tad cheaper, so IMO the price seems pretty fair. Thinner, sturdier device with a bit less RAM and storage but at a lower cost with a faster CPU and the latest software already.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 08:07 AM   #23
Crowriver
Groupie
Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
That's not what I'm saying.

Yes there is a pitch towards using this as an "e-ink laptop" with the Boox keyboard, but as far as I can tell there's no physical connection (even though the USB port is on the correct side for this) - it relies on bluetooth. Similarly using it as a secondary display seems to rely on a wireless connection, as with the Note 2.

However most of the publicity shows the device in portrait mode.

It seems the main selling point here is designed-in flexibility, hence the auto-rotate. Also the large bezel on one side, etc. It's not marketed as primarily for landscape mode, just that this is easy and convenient as an option.

So yes, that makes the functionality distinct from other Boox devices which are designed primarily for portrait mode operation. But the Note Air is not designed mainly for landscape mode in my view.
Crowriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:16 AM   #24
franzli
Addict
franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Onyx Boox T68 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
One is made out of plastic and the other aluminum. That's the weight difference. Silly name for sure.

Yep, less RAM and storage too. But it seems like maybe faster processor? They don't quite specify what which is annoying. It is also a tad cheaper, so IMO the price seems pretty fair. Thinner, sturdier device with a bit less RAM and storage but at a lower cost with a faster CPU and the latest software already.
Yes, it's fair that is a bit cheaper - although the difference is relatively small to the point that it seems a bit like an unnecessary overdifferentiation in a relatively small market segment, especially considering that they will apparently also release a Note 3 soon.

I'd be curious about the CPU as well. For some reason, I don't expect it to be something other than the Snapdragon 625 found in the Note 2, but hopefully someone will eventually answer that question for us.

Ps: just saw that @norweger mentioned that it's got an upgraded processor (probably from their press release), I had overlooked that post earlier.

Last edited by franzli; 09-22-2020 at 09:19 AM.
franzli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 11:34 PM   #25
norweger
Addict
norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.

Device: Android-phone, HTC Desire Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by franzli View Post

Ps: just saw that @norweger mentioned that it's got an upgraded processor (probably from their press release), I had overlooked that post earlier.
Yeah, I saw the whole product release and summarized it
https://www.youtube.com/c/OnyxBoox

The new RAM is faster (large documents may load at more than twice the speed), and the new CPU is faster. I think it was 30 % faster on average they said, well into the video. But I know this is what they said about the cores:

"Octa-cure CPU; Single-core is 50 % more responsive, multicore is 15 % more responsive"

I'll prolly buy a new Note. But ... they release an Air which is heavier, so I am kinda worried they'd release a Note 3 which isn't cheaper and worse than Air, but better.
norweger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 11:41 PM   #26
azayn
Groupie
azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nova 3, Galaxy S22+, iPad
Any info about the Poke 3? I was close to pulling the trigger on a used Poke 2 on eBay recently but glad I held off. Assuming the new Poke 3 will be running Android 10?
azayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:45 AM   #27
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by azayn View Post
Any info about the Poke 3? I was close to pulling the trigger on a used Poke 2 on eBay recently but glad I held off. Assuming the new Poke 3 will be running Android 10?
Why?
Do you really believe, that a Poke 3 would be better or faster?

Last edited by ottischwenk; 09-23-2020 at 01:21 AM.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 05:27 AM   #28
psbernitz
Enthusiast
psbernitz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.psbernitz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.psbernitz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.psbernitz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.psbernitz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Onyx Nova 2
If they just released these two devices, how long will it take until the other registered releases, for example nova 3 will be announced? This mont next month?
psbernitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:16 AM   #29
Morioh
Morioh began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino shine
Why do they keep refusing to include sd cards ?
Morioh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:18 AM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by norweger View Post
Yeah, I saw the whole product release and summarized it
https://www.youtube.com/c/OnyxBoox

The new RAM is faster (large documents may load at more than twice the speed), and the new CPU is faster. I think it was 30 % faster on average they said, well into the video. But I know this is what they said about the cores:

"Octa-cure CPU; Single-core is 50 % more responsive, multicore is 15 % more responsive"

I'll prolly buy a new Note. But ... they release an Air which is heavier, so I am kinda worried they'd release a Note 3 which isn't cheaper and worse than Air, but better.
If you are going to post a Youtube video, please post the video and not just a link.

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-23-2020 at 08:25 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote