Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 09-24-2008, 05:39 PM   #16
Bluefrogs3
Bluefrogs3 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: EBW-1150
madmaxmedia , I'm in the same fix !! I have over 100 e-books on my desktop. If I sit in front of it to long my wife thinks I left her!! I can't have that!!!!!
Bluefrogs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:49 PM   #17
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
I just went thru the process you are going thru right now.

soo many choices with new stuff coming out in the nearish future etc etc.

after checking into most of them I finally decided on getting a bookwise my self.

Im FANTASTICALLY glad I did!

Im enjoying the ease and veristility of it very much, the back lit text is WAY nicer then any book light thing could be ( specially reading in bed with your spouse tring to sleep ! .. no more, please turn off the light or are you SURE thats only the book lite?! )

I would highely recommend getting the 128meg addon card for it ( the largest it supports ), this will let you put several hundred books on it to browse thru!

As far as ease of getting books in and out of the reader, its not hard at all.

you have several options. The easist to do is just down load the ebookwise librarian that you can get from the bookwise ( the site that sells the 1150 )

It has a low learning curve, and couple of nice features.

The utilities that people are creating here on this site as we speak are more feature filled, and can let you do more things with the reader then you would think possible at first. There is a slight higher learning curve to using them but that is becoming easier every day ( there is currently a ton of updating / improving etc going on right now !), and gui interfaces are being added / updated.

As far as comparing the eb1150 to the others, I dont know i only own a 1150 right now. What i CAN tell you is that the 1150 with the largest memory card for it retail is about 1/2 the price of the next readers that are currently for sale!

That being said, get the 1150 .. enjoy it! My plan at first was to use this guy for 6 months to a year or so and then upgrade. I might still do that... but its spoiling me in some ways that will make it harder to want to upgrade later =)
askyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2008, 06:50 PM   #18
madmaxmedia
Connoisseur
madmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony CLIE TG50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefrogs3 View Post
madmaxmedia , I'm in the same fix !! I have over 100 e-books on my desktop. If I sit in front of it to long my wife thinks I left her!! I can't have that!!!!!
LOL! My wife reads much more than me, but she prefers paper (too bad.)

I think the 1150 is the best available for us right now (considering our budget.) It's bigger than a PDA screen, the screen is not high resolution but more than adequate for text (all I need). The battery life is very good, and only suffers compared to e-ink.

Here's a nice photo of the backlit screen-
http://www.litwack.org/articles/revi...e-1150-review/

The Sony 500 might be another budget choice since it's outdated, but I really do prefer the newer 505 screen. Between the 500 and the cheaper 1150 I think I would take the 1150 since it's still significantly cheaper.
madmaxmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:17 PM   #19
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmedia View Post
Here's a nice photo of the backlit screen-
http://www.litwack.org/articles/revi...e-1150-review/
Actually, that picture has the backlight setting quite high! You can lower it considerably, so that it is not a lighthouse beacon while reading in bed.

For some more pictures (albeit poorly done by me in my haste to take them), check my album showing the EBW 1150 surfing the internet (pre impserve days). There's another album showing the REB 1200 (the EBW 1150's big brother!!).
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:03 PM   #20
Bluefrogs3
Bluefrogs3 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: EBW-1150
nrapallo, Your evil....making me drool all over those pictures!!! I have got to have one NOW!!!! Thanks this is the one for me!!
Bluefrogs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2008, 09:05 PM   #21
GeneS
eBook Enthusiast
GeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-350, Astak PocketPro, iPhone, Asus eee Pad Transformer
Let me add my voice to the mix. I own both an 1150 and a Sony. Both are excellent readers. There is some learning curve to the use of both ... all things considered, I think they are about equal.

In terms of use, I find myself using the 1150 more than the Sony. It may just be that it has a kind of "retro" feel to it. We recently suffered through a several-day-period with no electrical service. It was nice to have the backlight on the 1150. I could read in the dark.

I think you would probably be pleased with either. If you're just testing the waters, the 1150 is about half the cost of the Sony.
GeneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:16 PM   #22
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneS View Post
We recently suffered through a several-day-period with no electrical service. It was nice to have the backlight on the 1150. I could read in the dark.
Oh, yes, forgot to add that to the list of EBW1150 features: a flashlight at night!!!!
Old 09-24-2008, 09:18 PM   #23
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefrogs3 View Post
nrapallo, Your evil....making me drool all over those pictures!!! I have got to have one NOW!!!! Thanks this is the one for me!!
Sorry, !

You'll be better for it, as many have already found out!
Old 09-25-2008, 02:04 PM   #24
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Oh, yes, forgot to add that to the list of EBW1150 features: a flashlight at night!!!!
But remember to turn the backlight completely off to use it outdoors in the day time. Also check the contrast setting for best results.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 02:45 PM   #25
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
But remember to turn the backlight completely off to use it outdoors in the day time. Also check the contrast setting for best results.

Dale

How do I switch off the backlight? I didn't have any idea it was possible. That would be a handy feature to know how to use.

THANKS!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 02:56 PM   #26
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
How do I switch off the backlight? I didn't have any idea it was possible. That would be a handy feature to know how to use.

THANKS!
Just crank it down all the way.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:30 PM   #27
nrapallo

Quote:

Dale
My settings don't seem to work too well. I have only one or two places (clicks) that suit my preference for indoor, nightly reading.

The Contrast is way down, 4 or 5 clicks from the left. And the Brightness is just a bit more.

See the attached image of (roughly) my settings (doing this from memory as I don't have my reader with me right now).

Do you have similar ones?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brightness1150-nr.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	16565  
Old 09-25-2008, 03:40 PM   #28
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Just crank it down all the way.

Dale
Quote:
My settings don't seem to work too well. I have only one or two places (clicks) that suit my preference for indoor, nightly reading.

The Contrast is way down, 4 or 5 clicks from the left. And the Brightness is just a bit more.

See the attached image of (roughly) my settings (doing this from memory as I don't have my reader with me right now).

Do you have similar ones?

Thanks Guys! That's what I've been doing, just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something fundamental. I'm certainly happy to be able to read again, but only for short durations before eye strain kicks in on the remodeled eye. It's very hard to find pleasure without reading, be it books, menus, TV listings, and so on.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:50 PM   #29
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Thanks Guys! That's what I've been doing, just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something fundamental. I'm certainly happy to be able to read again, but only for short durations before eye strain kicks in on the remodeled eye. It's very hard to find pleasure without reading, be it books, menus, TV listings, and so on.
Good to hear.

What about audio books? Hope I didn't strike a "nerve", but I personally have no use for them!

Never will!
Old 09-25-2008, 04:17 PM   #30
DixieGal
Hi There!

Quote:
Good to hear.

What about audio books? Hope I didn't strike a "nerve", but I personally have no use for them!

Never will!

I tried audiobooks but didn't like them. I mean, they were OK for entertainment while I couldn't see, but I prefer to read for myself. And every 10 mins I fell asleep, so kept having to find my place in the audiobook again and again.