Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-05-2018, 04:46 AM   #46
bastelquastel
bastelquastel began at the beginning.

Device: Max2
I am glad I found this thread because I had also tried - to no avail - to update google play store or to install google play services in order to be able to install paid apps. Waiting for the OTA now. Was, by the way, also aware of the battery discharge problem and hope this will also be fixed soon.

* Yet another annoying issue: If you write something in "Notes" ("Notiz" in German) using the pen, when reaching the bottom of the page, you will eventually, with your hand, touch the "delete page" button, and, if you are unlucky, the question to confirm this will display its button exactly at where your pen is at that moment -- and your page will be gone. Very annoying.

Suggested solution: I think that the software should disable the touch screen function in this app.
Or there should be a general, system wide option to disable touch screen function (as a workaround for being able to properly use note app).

* Another issue is with the press menu for a longer time to force screen update is no longer there, I think. Could there be an option to switch between A2 and normal mode by keypress? Am I missing something?

* Is there any way to get to home screen without home button available (can you activate a workaround, like setting another key long press as home button?)?
bastelquastel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 05:10 AM   #47
Jayjee
Connoisseur
Jayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2
The long pressing of the menu key for refreshing of screen still works on my device.
Wasn't aware of that - good feature, especially if you know it... :-)

/Jan
Jayjee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2018, 05:20 AM   #48
Philippe D.
Addict
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o; reMarkable; Onyx Max 2 Pro
One thing with the native software that I'd like to see, and which seems a rather trivial thing to add, is a left-handed option for when one opens a notes page while displaying a PDF document. Right now the document is on the left, and the notes page is on the right; this is perfect for right-handed people, but for me, trying to write on the right means my hand will cover the PDF document, and sometimes will be detected and do something unexpected.

This feature has the potential to be very useful; right now it's very difficult to use for about 15% of users (according to stats I've read) - and 100% of those in my home.
Philippe D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 06:41 AM   #49
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastelquastel View Post
I am glad I found this thread because I had also tried - to no avail - to update google play store or to install google play services in order to be able to install paid apps. Waiting for the OTA now. Was, by the way, also aware of the battery discharge problem and hope this will also be fixed soon.

* Yet another annoying issue: If you write something in "Notes" ("Notiz" in German) using the pen, when reaching the bottom of the page, you will eventually, with your hand, touch the "delete page" button, and, if you are unlucky, the question to confirm this will display its button exactly at where your pen is at that moment -- and your page will be gone. Very annoying.

Suggested solution: I think that the software should disable the touch screen function in this app.
Or there should be a general, system wide option to disable touch screen function (as a workaround for being able to properly use note app).

* Another issue is with the press menu for a longer time to force screen update is no longer there, I think. Could there be an option to switch between A2 and normal mode by keypress? Am I missing something?

* Is there any way to get to home screen without home button available (can you activate a workaround, like setting another key long press as home button?)?
The option to temporary disable capacitive touch screen by user will be available soon. It is on the task list
I also set on the task list the option to quick change to the home screen by long press of back button
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 06:43 AM   #50
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe D. View Post
One thing with the native software that I'd like to see, and which seems a rather trivial thing to add, is a left-handed option for when one opens a notes page while displaying a PDF document. Right now the document is on the left, and the notes page is on the right; this is perfect for right-handed people, but for me, trying to write on the right means my hand will cover the PDF document, and sometimes will be detected and do something unexpected.

This feature has the potential to be very useful; right now it's very difficult to use for about 15% of users (according to stats I've read) - and 100% of those in my home.
Sounds as good suggestion. One of my daughters is left handed. I know how inconvenient writing on the right side could be. I will set the option to change positions in side note view on the task list
Advert
Old 01-05-2018, 09:20 AM   #51
bastelquastel
bastelquastel began at the beginning.

Device: Max2
Sounds very good.
(My mistake: Long press menu button is indeed working.)
Looking forward to improvements. I am very glad that I bought this device, now that I hear about your efforts for improving it. Very, very good. Thanks a lot for your work in advance.
One more thing (someone already suggested an app for it?): I would really appreciate it if there was a screen orientation option for "normal" apps. Would be very good for using Max2 with a bluetooth keyboard (usually does not fit into the holders upright, but horizontally it fits and upside down also).
bastelquastel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:20 AM   #52
Jayjee
Connoisseur
Jayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastelquastel View Post
(My mistake: Long press menu button is indeed working.)
Actually - on my device it only works in "normal" screen mode, not in A2 mode.
That could be great, Booxtor, if the refresh worked in both modes...

Best,
Jan
Jayjee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 12:44 PM   #53
marcosscriven
Enthusiast
marcosscriven , Klaatu Barada Niktu!marcosscriven , Klaatu Barada Niktu!marcosscriven , Klaatu Barada Niktu!marcosscriven , Klaatu Barada Niktu!marcosscriven , Klaatu Barada Niktu!marcosscriven , Klaatu Barada Niktu!marcosscriven , Klaatu Barada Niktu!marcosscriven , Klaatu Barada Niktu!marcosscriven , Klaatu Barada Niktu!marcosscriven , Klaatu Barada Niktu!marcosscriven , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Boox Max 2
I just wanted to draw a line under previous posts, and looking to approach this positively.

Here's the two errors I see about 50% of the time when I try display app:

I haven't really been able to find any consistency in when it happens. Things I've tried:
  • Restarting Boox
  • A different HDMI cable
  • A different source
  • Quitting monitor app in process viewer

If I keep fiddling, it eventually works.

You'll also see the reflections in the photos, which is something I was hoping to avoid, and honestly does seem more pronounced than my Kindle. I'm not sure if that's just because it's larger, or if the touch sensitive surface is more reflective.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5782.JPG
Views:	3373
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	161286   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9886.JPG
Views:	3242
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	161287  

Last edited by marcosscriven; 01-05-2018 at 01:18 PM.
marcosscriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:02 PM   #54
oranges
Enthusiast
oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage, Onyx Boox N96 & Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by oranges View Post
Booxtor -- do you have a working build of the Play Services apk that you can send me or post here? it would be much appreciated

i figured this might be faster than than waiting for the OTA which may take longer due to other fixes being included. thanks
any update on this Booxtor regarding a Play Services apk? would love to use the device this weekend with Play Store apps
oranges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 03:43 AM   #55
orpheus2011
Connoisseur
orpheus2011 doesn't litterorpheus2011 doesn't litterorpheus2011 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosscriven View Post
I just wanted to draw a line under previous posts, and looking to approach this positively.

Here's the two errors I see about 50% of the time when I try display app:

I haven't really been able to find any consistency in when it happens. Things I've tried:
  • Restarting Boox
  • A different HDMI cable
  • A different source
  • Quitting monitor app in process viewer

If I keep fiddling, it eventually works.

You'll also see the reflections in the photos, which is something I was hoping to avoid, and honestly does seem more pronounced than my Kindle. I'm not sure if that's just because it's larger, or if the touch sensitive surface is more reflective.
Could anyone else, particularly Booxtor, comment on the glare issues? They look quite prominent in these pictures. Can they be mitigated by using a matte screen protector?
orpheus2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 04:01 AM   #56
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by orpheus2011 View Post
Could anyone else, particularly Booxtor, comment on the glare issues? They look quite prominent in these pictures. Can they be mitigated by using a matte screen protector?
Quote:
Judging by the MAX2 units already out in the wild, would you say that light reflection/glare is on a par with the MAX1 model? Or is it more? It looks to me that both do reflect light/ have hotspots, but nothing terrible.
As also expressed earlier, the glare is similar on all these devices. It is not the kind of glare that you remove with a (usual) matte film. It is a glare akin to "untreated cellulose vs. coated". That glare potential was never a problem when using the device, especially outdoors (I use it especially outdoors). Of course, the device must be oriented, like you orient the coated pages of a magazine or even those of an untreated cellulose book. That glare is a very different thing with respect to the (ominous, non-professional) mirror-like screens that started being distributed 10 years ago and almost devoured the market.

Using an EPD screen requires environmental attention like the rest of the screens, each kind with its own specificities. Normally, this simply means manually adjusting its position and rotation, in the most natural feedback mechanism. Celebrate your cybernetic nature, it's natural.

EDIT: about the application of extra layers on the screen: the vastest majority of them films must be made for glass. I could not find films for application on an "e-reader". I researched for the MaxCarta, which had too sharp dots for my eagle-eye (so I was looking for a softener + protector). It would be of course very interesting to find useful products - maybe to reduce the glare further, certainly for extra protection etc.; on this certainly the attention of Booxtor, who may resell them, could be an asset.

EDIT2: by the way, Orpheus: you will also see glares in some pictures I post. They come from image manipulation, adjusting values to stretch contrast for readability. A photo is not per se faithful.

Last edited by mdp; 01-06-2018 at 04:20 AM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 04:12 AM   #57
orpheus2011
Connoisseur
orpheus2011 doesn't litterorpheus2011 doesn't litterorpheus2011 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
As also expressed earlier, the glare is similar on all these devices. It is not the kind of glare that you remove with a (usual) matte film. It is a glare akin to "untreated cellulose vs. coated". That glare potential was never a problem when using the device, especially outdoors (I use it especially outdoors). Of course, the device must be oriented, like you orient the coated pages of a magazine or even those of an untreated cellulose book. That glare is a very different thing with respect to the (ominous, non-professional) mirror-like screens that started being distributed 10 years ago and almost devoured the market.

Using an EPD screen requires environmental attention like the rest of the screens, each kind with its own specificities. Normally, this simply means manually adjusting its position and rotation, in the most natural feedback mechanism. Celebrate your cybernetic nature, it's natural.

EDIT: about the application of extra layers on the screen: the vastest majority of them films must be made for glass. I could not find films for application on an "e-reader". I researched for the MaxCarta, which had too sharp dots for my eagle-eye. It would be of course very interesting to find useful products - maybe to reduce the glare further, certainly for extra protection etc.; on this certainly the attention of Booxtor, who may resell them, could be an asset.
Thanks for these comments, very useful. I think that an anti-glare protector, if at all available at this size and if it doesn't reduce text quality that much, would be a useful accessory for Booxtor to stock, especially to protect the screen from scratches, particularly if the pencil is used frequently.
orpheus2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 04:47 AM   #58
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
comment on the glare
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
environmental attention
This was a very random occurrence. I raised from the desk after posting about TeamViewer in the "monitor" thread. Collapsed on a stool in a nearby room vegetating a while to shake off the cold. The eye fell on a magazine that was sitting on the carpet. That's a magazine, meant for reading. The photo (untreated, just cropped) exaggerates the horror, but not much - it compresses to white what in real world is seen as "almost white with a bit of original".

I rest my case.

EDIT: now, this is ridiculous science, but: I thought "what about putting the Max2 and the magazine side by side"? I did. Result: they are similar, with the Max2 showing softened glares while the magazine has sharper blades of white.
Anyway, I read them both without a problem when needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	magazine_which_was_just_there.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	161303  

Last edited by mdp; 01-06-2018 at 04:55 AM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 05:34 AM   #59
Booxtor
Booxtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oranges View Post
any update on this Booxtor regarding a Play Services apk? would love to use the device this weekend with Play Store apps
Yes, we have prepared cloud download, so you can do update easily downloading it to your Max2 directly using settings->about->system update->check update from cloud.

Please set system language of your device to English first.

You also could download it directly here: http://ereader.store/DATA/Max2/update.upx
MD5 25443aff1be42aff8855603d2d6a7588

Please restart your device after update in order to get Play Store working.

This update mainly fixes the problem with Play Services.
In ca. 2 weeks we are going to release another update with some improvements.

Last edited by Booxtor; 01-06-2018 at 05:48 AM.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:58 AM   #60
alcedo
Enthusiast
alcedo doesn't litteralcedo doesn't litter

Device: bug
I assume there is a micro sd card slot in MAX2. Can anybody tell me if >32GB is working?
alcedo is offline   Reply With Quote