Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 10-26-2017, 04:37 PM   #46
bsnick
Zealot
bsnick began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx M96+, T68+, Max2, YP2, HiSense A2 Pro
I had an RK3188 tablet in the form of a Chuwi V88. It wasn't all that impressive so I hope that Onyx can optimize things better than Chuwi did.

I'd like to use mine for more than just reading. Browsing, note-taking, mind-maps, flash cards, pdfs with notes, all going at the same time.

I hope they also do a smaller size ereader that can replace my T68+.
bsnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 01:01 PM   #47
tracey1
Addict
tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
have you noticed how A2 works? There exists no unique implementation.
Well, I just know that Dasung has a button that lets you switch between different modes

Quote:

The Floyd mode: I cannot download the high quality video - too bad as I would only need one frame -, but given how it behaves, is it possible that it is an "A2 with (Floyd?) dithering" mode?
According to Goodereader it's a "Hybrid A2 mode" . So you could very well be right. From what I understand it trades clarity for speed. But it seems to be the most useful mode out of all three.

Also interesting: Nate from dig.ereader and skynet84 who both own the Paperlike Pro seem to have different opinions. According to Nate, there's a chance the MaxPro might be faster whereas skynet84 who's made a video review seems to be surprised by the 'huge" delay on theMaxpro in this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...96#post3600996

I assume we just have to wait for new info and videos for a proper comparison

Last edited by tracey1; 10-30-2017 at 04:01 PM.
tracey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2017, 01:08 PM   #48
tracey1
Addict
tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeKane View Post
I've been waiting for the e-note and max as I was hoping for something with front light in a larger screen. Any news on light? The rest sounds terrific (except for the SD card missing on e Note) Thanks
I dont think so. From what I:ve read the implementation of a frontlight in large e-readers (10'' and up) is too complicated. But personslly Im not bothered by this.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:43 AM   #49
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracey1 View Post
Well, I just know that Dasung has a button that lets you switch between different modes
In the Onyx you have a GUI switch in the status bar. What I meant is, Floyd /dithering/ is (with all appearance) an implementation of rendering on A2 (which per se is only a hardware mode on EPD using only black and white in a fast manner), already working (very well) on the MaxCarta. It's what enables us to watch videos, for example.
In other terms, A2 is the way the dots are managed, electronically; the Floyd dithering is how the software on top decides to distribute the black and white.

Check that NXP document, it's interesting.

Quote:
According to Goodereader it's a "Hybrid A2 mode" . So you could very well be right.
Actually the supposition was probably false. I downloaded a chunk of the video through clipconverter.cc . It seems to use all 16 shades. Please check the screenshot attached.
EDIT: Initially, I thought they were using a 4-shades technique, akin to A2. And looking at the screenshot again, it does look like that. But histograms show that all the range may be used - although the video conversion could have auto-interpolated the shot. I used 2160p to get a good idea. You would need real life experience to check.

Quote:
I assume we just have to wait for new info and videos for a proper comparison
Yes, the current info about the Max 2 HDMI does hardly stand. But again, if any further demo from the Dasung show a comparable ~800 lag, even half of that, there is something odd with the current technology; if not, with the Taiwan demonstration.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dasung_nicholson.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	159699  

Last edited by mdp; 10-31-2017 at 08:03 AM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 06:04 PM   #50
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgdas View Post
Most important info about availability and prices are still missing.
Answering my own question:
Max 2 will start selling 11th Nov in China.
Price: 4,980 CNY (€646).

Note follows in December.
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2017, 07:21 PM   #51
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:

Looking forward to seeing the Note in action. That could be a very functional device if they got it right.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 09:04 PM   #52
tracey1
Addict

Quote:
In the Onyx you have a GUI switch in the status bar. What I meant is, Floyd /dithering/ is (with all appearance) an implementation of rendering on A2 (which per se is only a hardware mode on EPD using only black and white in a fast manner), already working (very well) on the MaxCarta. It's what enables us to watch videos, for example.
In other terms, A2 is the way the dots are managed, electronically; the Floyd dithering is how the software on top decides to distribute the black and white.

Check that NXP document, it's interesting.
GUI (no idea what that is) lets you switch between modes ? I checked the link. My question would be, is the previous Onyx Max Carta based on the Floyd-Steinberg algorithm as well ? If yes, that would mean, there'd be no significant improvement in speed. My other question would be which one of the algorithms is ought to be more effective - Floyd-Warshall or Floyd-Steinberg. But I guess we can't answer that yet

Quote:

Actually the supposition was probably false.
You mean the supposition that it's based on dithering or that it's some type of hybrid A2 mode ?

Last edited by tracey1; 11-06-2017 at 10:07 PM.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:16 AM   #53
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
GUI (no idea what that is) lets you switch between modes ? I checked the link. My question would be, is the previous Onyx Max Carta based on the Floyd-Steinberg algorithm as well ? If yes, that would mean, there'd be no significant improvement in speed.
(Odd, where I am located both my default search engines immediately return as first result "Graphical User Interface - Wikipedia". Well, your location settings change the search engine results you get.)
Which "speed" are you referring to? If the Max Carta renders A2 pages using the Floyd-Steinberg, as it looks, the rendering speed remains 125ms (or 8fps, the official speed of A2 mode for e-ink screens) and the time cost to apply the algorithm is negligible - the whole page rendering of A2 on the Max Carta seems to take 125ms. I never measured it, I saw no need - it looks as fast as it should.
If you refer to page rendering - I am not informed of any mode faster than A2. As I wrote earlier (26 Oct), the "Floyd mode" of the Dasung looks 125ms, 8fps - I counted the devices's screen updates in the frames in the video posted by Skynet84.

Quote:
My other question would be which one of the algorithms is ought to be more effective - Floyd-Warshall or Floyd-Steinberg.
I really cannot see how they can be compared: they do not do the same thing.
One (the second) rearranges values so that ██▇▆▅▄▃▂▁▁ is made to be ███▁█▁█▁▁▁ instead of █████▁▁▁▁▁ ,
the other one (the first) excludes that passing through London to reach Paris from Rome is a good idea. I do not know what Floyd-Warshall is doing there.

Quote:
You mean the supposition that it's based on dithering or that it's some type of hybrid A2 mode ?
If it were A2, you should only see black dots and white dots. Skynet84's video, in the "Floyd mode" part, seen in detailed zoom in its highest resolution version, does not seem to only display black and white dots.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:21 AM   #54
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Oh THIS is amazing. This fast? We will at least get detailed videos from somewhere soon (oh gee this sounded so fanboi).

Fgdas, if it delays we will blame it on you. ; )

Last edited by mdp; 11-07-2017 at 01:25 AM. Reason: So amazing I forgot the verb
Old 11-07-2017, 03:16 AM   #55
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:

646 € ???? Roughly 800 € with European tax and other costs due to the importation ! If this is could be true :-)

Only 4 days to wait ...

Booxtor have you some news ?

Sorry, i've missed this https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=1156

Last edited by Randy11; 11-07-2017 at 03:26 AM. Reason: Sorry, i've missed this https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3607293&postcount=1156
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:01 PM   #56
usq_charles
usq_charles can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueusq_charles can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueusq_charles can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueusq_charles can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueusq_charles can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueusq_charles can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueusq_charles can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueusq_charles can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueusq_charles can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueusq_charles can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueusq_charles can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Kindle voyage
According to its website, its [onboard 32g]+[SD Card slot (maximum 32g supported)]=total Maximum possible storage 64gb
usq_charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:02 PM   #57
tracey1
Addict

Quote:
(Odd, where I am located both my default search engines immediately return as first result "Graphical User Interface - Wikipedia". Well, your location settings change the search engine results you get.)
Which "speed" are you referring to? If the Max Carta renders A2 pages using the Floyd-Steinberg, as it looks, the rendering speed remains 125ms (or 8fps, the official speed of A2 mode for e-ink screens) and the time cost to apply the algorithm is negligible - the whole page rendering of A2 on the Max Carta seems to take 125ms. I never measured it, I saw no need - it looks as fast as it should.
If you refer to page rendering - I am not informed of any mode faster than A2. As I wrote earlier (26 Oct), the "Floyd mode" of the Dasung looks 125ms, 8fps - I counted the devices's screen updates in the frames in the video posted by Skynet84.
I'm basically referring to how fast and efficient it carries out any interactions during monitor mode.

Are you saying both the Max Carta and the Dasung (Floyd mode) have an equally fast performance ? ( I hope you are but I dont think you are) But if you are, then it doesn't explain why people are criticizing the slow response time of the Max Carta 1. I assumed the Floyd Steinberg was a newly implemented algorithm only used in the Max 2 pro. If it has already been used in the previous Max, I don't consider this good news because it would mean that they didn't find a way to match the Dasung Floyd Mode which some reviewers like Nate or skynet84 seem to be so complimentary about. - Unless of course the hmdi connection is the one thing that makes for the crucial difference and the reason why the paperlike pro appears to be faster - could that be it ? I doubt that but if that were the case, it would mean the Max 2 Pro will be able to act just as fast as the Dasung pro anyway. Which would be great news.

Quote:
If it were A2, you should only see black dots and white dots. Skynet84's video, in the "Floyd mode" part, seen in detailed zoom in its highest resolution version, does not seem to only display black and white dots.
Then I wonder why Goodereader would refer to it as a "Hybrid A2 Mode". Maybe they just made a mistake

Last edited by tracey1; 11-07-2017 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:24 PM   #58
tracey1
Addict

by the by, did they reposition the hardware buttons as you suggested to them @booxtor ?
Old 11-07-2017, 07:29 PM   #59
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Then I wonder why Goodereader would refer to it as a "Hybrid A2 Mode". Maybe they just made a mistake
They have quite a reputation for mistakes and misinformation.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:04 AM   #60
SnowRipple
Zealot
SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Note Pro
I am also excited about upcoming 10.3'' Note device. It seems like a good compromise, and value for money.

Max 2 seems great but the price tag is quite steep. On the other hand, Note has the same processor, Android 6 and hdmi which seems like a mini Max 2 version without couple extras.

I don't know what the price will be but based on N96 and Max prices I expect something between 400-500 euros including taxes, probably closer to 500. That would be a good deal. Matching price with Remarkable would be a mistake I think, since they will be different devices created for different purposes.

10.3'' is quite enough for me tbh, even for mirroring computer/display with couple font size and other tweaks should be more than enough for writing/programming. I had 9.7'' e-reader before and it was enough for me for every pdf, I don't need 13.3'' for pdf (don't get me wrong, it's nice to have more screen space but imho not worth the price).

I like that Note's screen is flash with the bezel, anyone who used e.g. Voyage knows that it makes quite the difference. Shame there is no frontlight but I assume it's needed to bring down the price tag.

The first news about Note didn't say anything about hdmi (in March I think..) so it's nice that Onyx decided to add it later. I think it shows that they listen to customers/market. Let's hope that they don't jump the gun as usual and offer a polished product
SnowRipple is offline   Reply With Quote