Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-23-2013, 10:32 AM   #1
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
The New World of Publishing: Pricing 2013

I found the link to this article through VydorScope's posting about Draft 2 Digital and thought it had some interesting suggestions on what price to put on an ebook of a given length.
Book Prices
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:03 AM   #2
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
He's really serious?

I guess he's basing it on the idea that you don't feel like you're getting something quality unless you pay an arm and a leg for it. Having some actual sales-at-price numbers would help for comparison.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2013, 11:13 AM   #3
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
So my first book is perma free, my others are 2.99... I have been considering testing raising them to 3.99 and see what happens. I have also thought of pushing up my paper backs to 9.99 since no one buys them and it makes the ebook books look like a better deal. Not sure though...

But pricing my ebooks at 9.99 seems like suicide. I looked through all the "Also bought" on my books and people seem to be buying books sub $5, and more so sub $4.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:32 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I think his pricing paradigm is overly structured and rigid.

Hi, ho: But what do I know? I'm only someone who buys ebooks.

But, seriously [insert 'bodda-bing' here]: If I wanted an ebook badly enough, I'd pay a lot of money for it. I think the most I paid for an ebook was about $20 - and well worth it, because I love Jose Saramago. (Whereas, I've paid hundreds of dollars for First Edition hardbacks because I'm a book collector.)

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-23-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:42 AM   #5
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
His prices seem high for current expectations. 5 short stories for $4.99 seems high. When I was discussing my collection of fairy stories, I was told probably even $2.99 for 4 or 5 of them was too high. I suppose I can start out at $4.99 and lower the price if that's too high. (ApK, you've read the stories, what do you think they're worth?)
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2013, 09:00 PM   #6
bradhaak
bradhaak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bradhaak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bradhaak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bradhaak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bradhaak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bradhaak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bradhaak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bradhaak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bradhaak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bradhaak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bradhaak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
I think the prices look reasonable for books from publishers. They have higher overhead, production costs, etc.

For self-published books, they are not realistic.
bradhaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:32 AM   #7
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
His prices seem high for current expectations. 5 short stories for $4.99 seems high. When I was discussing my collection of fairy stories, I was told probably even $2.99 for 4 or 5 of them was too high. I suppose I can start out at $4.99 and lower the price if that's too high. (ApK, you've read the stories, what do you think they're worth?)
I agree his story pricing seems high, others seem fine for indie full-length books. But some flexibility is always good too...whatever the market will bear, eh?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:41 AM   #8
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
(Whereas, I've paid hundreds of dollars for First Edition hardbacks because I'm a book collector.)
You can have a first edition of any of my ebooks for hundreds of dollars, Doc!
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:24 AM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wilde View Post
You can have a first edition of any of my ebooks for hundreds of dollars, Doc!

If they do go up in price, I'm going to feel like a fool!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:32 PM   #10
bradhaak
bradhaak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bradhaak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bradhaak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bradhaak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bradhaak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bradhaak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bradhaak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bradhaak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bradhaak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bradhaak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bradhaak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
I think his suggestions make a lot of sense for publishers. They have higher overhead and production costs.

But for self publishing, they are much too high.
bradhaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:03 PM   #11
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradhaak View Post
I think his suggestions make a lot of sense for publishers. They have higher overhead and production costs.

But for self publishing, they are much too high.
I think part of what he's saying (as he has been for years now) is that independent authors self-publishing price themselves too low. I tend to agree with him. If you are just doing it for fun then give your work away. If you are selling it, then set a reasonable price. Do give-aways or promotions to get the word out if you prefer or give one item away as a loss leader, but set your prices reasonably in a fair market.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:34 PM   #12
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I think part of what he's saying (as he has been for years now) is that independent authors self-publishing price themselves too low. I tend to agree with him. If you are just doing it for fun then give your work away. If you are selling it, then set a reasonable price. Do give-aways or promotions to get the word out if you prefer or give one item away as a loss leader, but set your prices reasonably in a fair market.
So, looking right now at the market... almost all of the "also boughts" for my novels are 2.99 or 3.99. That means what people are actually buying is in that range. If I price up, I could price out of the market.

I dunno what the answer is yet, but I have been considering moving my full length novels to 3.99 from 2.99 to see if they sell better, and to give myself room for sales.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:40 PM   #13
kennyc

Yep.....
So much depends on readers/publicity/fans/etc..... there's no 'right' answer for everyone.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:57 PM   #14
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I was thinking of following DWS's advice and having my 5-story (maybe 6, depending on my beta reader's reaction to the 6th story) collection be $4.99, and in KDP Select for free for 3 months, then when that 3 months is over, dropping the price to $3.99 or $2.99, and see how it does. By then, I should also have two $0.99 stories out there too.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:02 PM   #15
kennyc

I've been considering doing a 'pre-release' of the non-fiction book I'm working on. If I do it, it would be approximately 1/3 of the finished book. It is comprised of many independent chapters/topics. I've been juggling both whether to do it and how to price it (and perhaps off an incentive for early purchasers...discount on full version or some such...I don't want it to get complicated though...)