Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 12-05-2007, 05:52 PM   #16
kgian
Enthusiast
kgian began at the beginning.

Device: EBW-1150
I got a 1150 a year ago. It is the easiest and cheapest device to get in europe. I got mine off ebay, a brand new one for 120E including shipping.

The screen is very easy to read and the battery lasts 20 hours. I read every day and it lasts about one week to ten days.

The device is very easy to use and very very fast, with instant on and touch screen.

It has very easy and fast dictionary lookup (for us non english speaking folks!)

Almost every format can be converted in a perfect .imp file to be read on this device (I have become an expert).

I have not seen any e-ink device ever, but I believe the 1150 is the perfect device for anyone starting in ebooks. It is really cheap and really easy to use, as long as you are not afraid of computers and format converting software.

The 64mb card is enough for all the books you may want. I have around 20+books on my device and the card is around half full. Moving books to and from the pc takes only seconds.

Last books I read were Harry Potter, Atlantis, Next. Now am reading The Swarm (converted from mobi) and enjoying it a lot!

Last edited by kgian; 12-05-2007 at 05:54 PM.
kgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 07:06 PM   #17
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Last books I read were Harry Potter, Atlantis, Next. Now am reading The Swarm (converted from mobi) and enjoying it a lot!
How did you convert from mobi?
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2007, 12:20 AM   #18
mrsp
Connoisseur
mrsp began at the beginning.

Device: palm T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgian View Post
Almost every format can be converted in a perfect .imp file to be read on this device (I have become an expert).
So if you have one of these there is a way to convert:

1) DRM Mobi
2) DRM Adobe - ie digital editions
3) Microsoft Reader

I am wondering if I shouldn't go with this device until the availability of e-ink devices in Australia improves but am a little bit intimidated about the conversion process(es)
mrsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:40 AM   #19
kgian
Enthusiast
kgian began at the beginning.

Device: EBW-1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsp View Post
So if you have one of these there is a way to convert:

1) DRM Mobi
2) DRM Adobe - ie digital editions
3) Microsoft Reader

I am wondering if I shouldn't go with this device until the availability of e-ink devices in Australia improves but am a little bit intimidated about the conversion process(es)
I haven't tried 2, but 1 and 3 I have and it works fine!
kgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 03:30 AM   #20
mrsp
Connoisseur

Hey Thanks! 2 out of 3 ain't bad...

Not sure if anyone knows about digital editions but there is a particular book that I am interested in reading that only comes in an adobe digital edition.

Coming from my old Palm T2 where I could effortlessly read adobe, mobi and ereader formats without converting anything, I find it really hard to adjust.

I am guessing if you get something from ebooks.com then their eb20 platform spits out html that you can somehow grab which might be one answer - IF they sell the book in my territory which isn't always (in fact often) the case.
Advert
Old 12-06-2007, 07:00 AM   #21
Brad
Zealot
Brad doesn't litterBrad doesn't litterBrad doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3 / EB1150 /iPhone
The eBookwise reader is a good value. I've had one for over a year and I have never had problems with it. Even though I am going to try a Cybook, there will be no retirement for the EB, I will still be using the eBookwise for reading in bed because of the backlit screen.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 08:15 AM   #22
wgrimm
Addict
wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
Quote:
Coming from my old Palm T2 where I could effortlessly read adobe, mobi and ereader formats without converting anything, I find it really hard to adjust.
I wouldn't characterize PDFs on a Palm as "effortless." The Adobe palm reader software sucks, and the best solution I came up with for using PDFs on the palm was ther Repligo viewer.
wgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 03:00 PM   #23
Muskrat
Enthusiast
Muskrat began at the beginning.

Device: prs500
I have one of these as well as my Sony PRS500.
I use both. The 1150 is great because of the backlight and the touch screen instant dictionary lookup. In fact the feel of the device and general ergonomics are far superior to the Sony, I love the online library (which you access via the reader's display) and the conversion software which I bought from ebookwise(?) for about $12 is also exellent (although you can convert books online at the website for free).
In my opinion the only advantage the sony has is the epaper display. If I could transplant the sony's screen into the 1150's body (with backlight of course - but epaper screens can't be backlit) I would have the perfect reader.
BTW I live in the UK and had a new device sent to me from a seller on ebay. It seems the only reason they don't sell them outside the US is the power supply which is 110v and would blow up if connected to a 240v mains supply. This is no problemj if you use a step-down adaptor which is available in most hardware stores here. I just had to acknowledge this fact and agree to a void warranty when I bought it. There is no problem buying books from the ebookwise store, unlike sony's Connect store which will only sell to users with a US registered credit card.
Muskrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 06:55 PM   #24
mrsp
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgrimm View Post
I wouldn't characterize PDFs on a Palm as "effortless." The Adobe palm reader software sucks, and the best solution I came up with for using PDFs on the palm was ther Repligo viewer.
I just meant that you could buy an adobe digital edition, run it through the adobe for palm thingo and have it on your palm to read without any cracking,hacking,conversion,reformatting required. It wasn't always the best of formatting as you say but for the most part you could read it though.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:31 AM   #25
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
I just meant that you could buy an adobe digital edition, run it through the adobe for palm thingo and have it on your palm to read without any cracking,hacking,conversion,reformatting required. It wasn't always the best of formatting as you say but for the most part you could read it though.
Have you actually tried that with a digital edition book? Was it a pdf version or a real epub version? Did it have DRM?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 11:06 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskrat View Post
BTW I live in the UK and had a new device sent to me from a seller on ebay. It seems the only reason they don't sell them outside the US is the power supply which is 110v and would blow up if connected to a 240v mains supply. This is no problemj if you use a step-down adaptor which is available in most hardware stores here. I just had to acknowledge this fact and agree to a void warranty when I bought it.
Thank you very much indeed for clarifying that, Muskrat. It's very good to hear that they take such a sensible approach to it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 11:33 AM   #27
bookwormfjl
Book Junkie
bookwormfjl has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-505; Cybook Gen 3; Kindle 1; Kindle 2; Kindle DX; Nook
The 1150 Reader has been great...

I've had my Ebookwise 1150 Reader for a couple of years and have had absoutey no problems. You can't beat the price. Their selection in their bookstore is fairly decent. I gave mine to my daughter as my Sony PRS-505 came in. Yay!!!
bookwormfjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 05:33 PM   #28
mrsp
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Have you actually tried that with a digital edition book? Was it a pdf version or a real epub version? Did it have DRM?

Dale
Hi Dale

When I read on my palm, I used Adobe Acrobate Reader for Palm OS and could basically drag and drop the pdf into this program where it would automatically convert it and sync it to the Palm. This worked with digital editions too - or at least that generation of them - as I put a couple of books that i had bought from Amazon on there.

The formatting wasn't great and for diagrams you really had to view those on the desktop but to read the text it worked fine.

This was for a Palm T2 and approximately Abobe Reader 5.0 or thereabouts so perhaps it no longer works the same way.

I sure wish one device would let you read all of the formats though like that old Palm...
Old 12-08-2007, 07:20 PM   #29
LizzieJoy
MobReaderNeophyte
LizzieJoy began at the beginning.

Device: eBookwise 1150
I bought the Fictionwise eBookwise wise not only because of the price but because of the LACK of bells and whistles.

I had'nt even heard of ereaders before seeing the Kindle on Amazon. I am an Amazon junkie and because of this I have STACKS of books everywhere. When I saw the Kindle I imagined my night stand being barren except for a little reader device and got all excited!

However, the Kindle seemed to be overloaded with features. And I couldnt fathom why I would want a reader that wasnt backlit! I thought, "Man, if I could just get a reader that I could download books into AND that had a backlight!!" I can afford a Kindle but it seemed that I'd be wasting money on features I wouldnt use when that money could be spent on MORE BOOKS!

So I started researching and found this board. WOW! I found out some great information AND found the eBookwise reader. It was exactly what I was looking for.

I am, without doubt, not a techno geek. I simply wanted a reader that had a backlight and was light to carry about. The eBookwise is perfect for me and I adore it.

Oh, and let me not forget to thank all the posters here who have been an invaluable source of all things ebook!!
LizzieJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 08:38 PM   #30
lmarie
Dilettante
lmarie doesn't litterlmarie doesn't litter

Device: EB1150, Cybook Gen3, Kobo Touch
Glad to hear that you like the EB1150. I'm just twiddling my thumbs waiting for mine to arrive sometime in the coming week. I even tried to buy a couple of books from the eBookwise site, but couldn't apparently download them because I can't yet put in a device ID. Like you, I'm taking a conservative approach with my dollar right now, wondering if I want to spend the greater amount of cash on an e-ink device. For now, I'll be happy just to have something bigger than my Palm to read with!
lmarie is offline   Reply With Quote