Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Why do you purchase books?
To contribute to the author 58 71.60%
Free things have no value 1 1.23%
It is wrong to not contribute to the author 22 27.16%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-15-2011, 03:27 AM   #46
Aurora13
Enthusiast
Aurora13 began at the beginning.

Device: IPod, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
I did not vote here. I don't buy books for any of the reasons above.

I purchase non-fiction paper book now and then because it's something I want to keep. Usually for some sort of reference (craft, hobby, special interest).

When it comes to eBooks I purchase them if I can't get hold of them legally through the library (Swedish eLibrary does not have waiting lists, all books are available at all times).
That happens very rarely. When I'm on hold at one of the US libraries I'm a member of I read Swedish books or downloaded (legal) freebies.
Hi Asawi,
Does the Swedish eLibrary have books in English?
I live in Sweden as well, but don't read so much Swedish (yet.

Tack!
/Christie

Last edited by Aurora13; 04-15-2011 at 03:30 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
Aurora13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:29 AM   #47
Aurora13
Enthusiast
Aurora13 began at the beginning.

Device: IPod, Sony PRS-350
I buy books because that is the only way I can get them, permanently.
Aurora13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2011, 04:44 AM   #48
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post

P.S. If you really don't like copyright, there's a quite straightforward way to get rid of it (in the US, at least). All you have to do is amend the Constitution...
Isn't that under copyright !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora13 View Post
I buy books because that is the only way I can get them, permanently.
Strictly only if on paper - .....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:14 AM   #49
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Libraries [I deal with 2] Dont even have my authors! eBook or audio! So if I want a book I buy it!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:35 AM   #50
theGsayeth
bling bling
theGsayeth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.theGsayeth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.theGsayeth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.theGsayeth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: amazon kindle
I rip from torrents and purchase through Amazon so it's a bit of both. I do support the authors I really enjoy and for others I download from various other places. If I like something enough I'll pay for it because I want to support that person and their work.
theGsayeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2011, 08:17 AM   #51
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora13 View Post
Hi Asawi,
Does the Swedish eLibrary have books in English?
I live in Sweden as well, but don't read so much Swedish (yet.
Hej Christie!
No, they don't have eBooks in English as far as I know (if they do it's just very very few). That's why I belong to Free Library of Philadelphia and Singapore library (and another US library, through a US friend).
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:39 AM   #52
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
I'm actually a bit surprised that no one has chosen option number two, it seems to be an opinion held by some,

"Also, I don’t really believe in ‘free’ books (donate button or not)--people pay for value—if it is ‘free’ then the perceived value is less."

Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:23 PM   #53
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
I suppose it is obvious but:

I purchase books to read them.

Option one does not apply: I have never EVER purchased a book thinking anything even remotely similar to option one. I might have this one time, but it was too close to call so I can't say that I did.

Option two does not apply: There are many free things that have great value.

Option three doesn't work for me because I never look at personal book purchases as some sort of contribution to anything other than my self. "Here you go me! Yay!"
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:38 PM   #54
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
I suppose it is obvious but:

I purchase books to read them.

Option one does not apply: I have never EVER purchased a book thinking anything even remotely similar to option one. I might have this one time, but it was too close to call so I can't say that I did.

Option two does not apply: There are many free things that have great value.

Option three doesn't work for me because I never look at personal book purchases as some sort of contribution to anything other than my self. "Here you go me! Yay!"
So you can just replace purchase with download then? (I mean semantically not physically lol) I suppose that is the point I am trying to get to here. If you don't place the author's well being in your mind when downloading a book, why do you purchase books at all when they are all readily available to download with no surcharge from various sites?

Old 04-15-2011, 06:34 PM   #55
jessicalynn
Zealot
jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Nook First Gen (broken), iPad, Kindle Touch SO
I purchase books because I'm an honest person and I prefer not to steal. I know it would be easy to download ebooks from the darknet (several people in real life have suggested that to me upon finding that I have an ereader) but since I like books I want to support the people who provide them for me.
jessicalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:12 PM   #56
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
Why do you purchase books?
Because I want to read them.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:02 PM   #57
Giggleton
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Because I want to read them.
I must admit the original poll questions were a bit skewed, but then again every poll every created has been skewed, anyone who tells you otherwise is trying to sell you something.

I considered adding your response but felt that reading was implied by the acquisition of a book. Although I must admit to knowing of those who purchase books because of a particular design, perhaps thinking of how that book will look in their home, placed on a coffee table.

Maybe the entire question needs to be reformulated.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:57 PM   #58
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicalynn View Post
I purchase books because I'm an honest person and I prefer not to steal. I know it would be easy to download ebooks from the darknet (several people in real life have suggested that to me upon finding that I have an ereader) but since I like books I want to support the people who provide them for me.
Bingo, we try to be honest and believe that in the long run everyone will be better off this way.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 12:32 AM   #59
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
I must admit the original poll questions were a bit skewed, but then again every poll every created has been skewed, anyone who tells you otherwise is trying to sell you something.

I considered adding your response but felt that reading was implied by the acquisition of a book. Although I must admit to knowing of those who purchase books because of a particular design, perhaps thinking of how that book will look in their home, placed on a coffee table.

Maybe the entire question needs to be reformulated.

I answered that way, because, that really is the only reason why I purchase books. At the risk of sounding spoiled or callous, contributing to the author has never really crossed my mind, other than the purchase of subsequent books.
If I really like a particular story I may go ahead and purchase it in multiple formats, i.e. e-book & paperback.

Also, like Anthem, I feel that there are many free things that have great value, including books.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:34 AM   #60
Giggleton
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I answered that way, because, that really is the only reason why I purchase books. At the risk of sounding spoiled or callous, contributing to the author has never really crossed my mind, other than the purchase of subsequent books.
As we move into the era of complete connectivity, where everyone has the possibility of connecting with everyone else, every upload can easily be traced back to the creator. We have to start thinking about the sources of our content, if we ever really want to eliminate the middleman so to speak. I'm not saying the middleman is completely irrelevant, they can still be connected to content but should be seen as part of the content's creation. Amazon.com, specifically its servers and marketing algorithms are the middleman between the author and the reader for instance.

This idea of connecting our texts to their creator needs to be instilled in us as early as possible and fostered continuously every time we make a purchase or make a purchase for someone else. I'm not talking about ad campaigns relating downloading an audio file to theft. In a copyright free world theft of content will not be possible, but everybody's gotta eat after all.