Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-21-2024, 05:06 PM   #2491
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
If you use Kobo VIP, they send the redeem code for the yearly freebie through the promotion emails.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM   #2492
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In Calibre: Extracting the ISBN for the eBook. Then having a metadata provider overwrite it with the ISBN for the paper edition. You can't turn off downloading the identifiers either.
Old 03-22-2024, 05:13 PM   #2493
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I last noticed an already-purchased book last October - I know this because I mentioned it to a friend on Discord. Specifically it was this one and I have the option to purchase it when logged in. I checked the book URL for the edition I have just prior to posting that, is just valor-s-choice withoout a number.
Maybe do a chat with Kobo and ask them to make sure your library is updated. I did that and I was told it's already updated. That's when I went to look and noticed it the updates.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 05:15 PM   #2494
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
In Calibre: Extracting the ISBN for the eBook. Then having a metadata provider overwrite it with the ISBN for the paper edition. You can't turn off downloading the identifiers either.
That sounds like an issue to mention to Kovid.
Old 03-22-2024, 05:15 PM   #2495
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

A change in calibre that never should have been suggested.
Old 03-22-2024, 05:20 PM   #2496
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That sounds like an issue to mention to Kovid.
I just did: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=359917
Old 03-23-2024, 11:06 PM   #2497
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Depend on what genres you read, it can sometimes be hard to find standalone books that aren't part of a series.
Old 03-23-2024, 11:23 PM   #2498
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Depend on what genres you read, it can sometimes be hard to find standalone books that aren't part of a series.
That's true.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 05:20 AM   #2499
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
I wouldn't want to. I love series. Probably why fantasy is one of my favorite genres.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 10:21 PM   #2500
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Gallery Publishing Group is a general interest publisher and a division of Simon & Schuster which houses the imprints Gallery Books, Pocket Books, Scout Press, Gallery 13, and Saga Press.
Publishing is confusing. Simon & Schuster owns a publisher, which I guess in turn owns other publishers?
Old 03-26-2024, 06:03 AM   #2501
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
An Imprint is like a supermarket own brand, but as if the supermarket also owned the production. An imprint is just a sort of marketing badge for a market segment, not actually a publisher, unless it the sole imprint of a sole trader. See ISBN assignment rules. You don't even need to register a tradmark or anything for an Imprint, though that would give the brand some protection.

But yes, publishing is confusing. Why does the richest nation on Earth get more and better special offers? Why are titles geolimited (I know the answer to that one)?

The Publishing industry is broken.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 06:57 AM   #2502
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post

But yes, publishing is confusing. Why does the richest nation on Earth get more and better special offers? Why are titles geolimited (I know the answer to that one)?

I'll need to start shopping in Qatar with Kobo.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 10:56 AM   #2503
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I get Alexa sometimes recommending a book for me that I don't want. Never has she recommended a book I actually want.
Amazon quite often recommends books to me that I want. It's pretty easy for Amazon to know I'd want the book because I already bought it from Amazon.

I saw a recommendation on a streaming site that was "if you liked show A, you might like..." and the single show listed was "show A".
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 11:35 AM   #2504
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I'll need to start shopping in Qatar with Kobo.
That's only by a bizarre metric.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 04:17 PM   #2505
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabsltd View Post
Amazon quite often recommends books to me that I want. It's pretty easy for Amazon to know I'd want the book because I already bought it from Amazon.
Exact same edition? That's worse than Kobo recommendation a different edition of a book I already own on Kobo.