Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-04-2024, 07:01 AM   #1
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Red face Ever read a book out loud?

Ever read a book out loud? I was thinking of just for the heck of it, but also to someone or for recording.

I go for a daily walk and I've listened to podcasts or radio plays to while away the time. There are enough interruptions from jets and traffic and general spacing out. I've started to read a novel out loud during my walks.

Part of this is the whole post-Covid, "If I don't talk more, my tongue will atrophy". The other part is that it's a foreign language and I'm trying to improve my accent. I like that I can do this at my own pace, pause for tangental thoughts or noteable flora or fauna. The path is well-beaten and I know it well enough that I don't have to concentrate on it.

Any thoughts?
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 07:31 AM   #2
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
I think I need to go out more often for some long walks, that's what I thought. Your idea made me picture myself doing it again.
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 08:45 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Poetry and plays are best read out loud if you are a certain kind of reader. I especially need to read poetry out loud. Most older poetry and all plays are designed to be spoken, not read. Also written English is not actually exactly the same language as spoken. Good plays / screenplays are not the same conventions as a novel and the dialogue uses different rules. I'd not read the stage directions out loud on a play, only the dialogue.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 10:19 AM   #4
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
My children have the privilege of hearing me read various books complete with commentary. I must be reasonably entertaining as they have continued listening after they could read themselves and have opted for me rather then an audiobook when given the choice.

And I need/want to read poetry and the like aloud to obtain the full value of the material, irregardless of the audience.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 12:46 PM   #5
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
I've started to read a novel out loud during my walks.
How do you read a novel on a walk? I wouldn't be able to keep my eyes on each line long enough to read anything.
Are you walking around the streets with a novel or ereader in front of your face?
A bit like inconsiderate people in the city walking around with their damn noses glued to their phones, not giving a f$* where they are walking nor who they bump into?... and then get annoyed because you bumped into them instead of making way for them...
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 01:03 PM   #6
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
How do you read a novel on a walk?
There and back is about five miles. I don't read all the time. Only once have I "run into" somebody. It was a close call, but I noticed them when I was 100 meters away.
Old 03-04-2024, 01:45 PM   #7
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
How do you read a novel on a walk? I wouldn't be able to keep my eyes on each line long enough to read anything.
Are you walking around the streets with a novel or ereader in front of your face?
A bit like inconsiderate people in the city walking around with their damn noses glued to their phones, not giving a f$* where they are walking nor who they bump into?... and then get annoyed because you bumped into them instead of making way for them...
I wonder how often they bump into each other.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 02:52 PM   #8
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
There and back is about five miles. I don't read all the time. Only once have I "run into" somebody. It was a close call, but I noticed them when I was 100 meters away.
Fair enough. I tried imagining myself reading and walking, and can't do it.

For me, both reading and walking are separate activities and attention will shift to the detriment of both activities. I can't read a couple of lines, then look around, then find where I left off, read another couple of lines again and repeat that process for an hour.
It's not like working and listening to music. Music can fade in and out of your consciousness depending on your level of concentration. Reading requires concentration, otherwise its just eye exercise.
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 04:45 PM   #9
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
For me, both reading and walking are separate activities and attention will shift to the detriment of both activities.
I'm holding my phone up a bit so that the background of my view is a few meters ahead of me. I'm actually surprised how little of my consciousness is used to stay on the trail. Only when I have to cross a gnarly wash do I put the phone down.
Old 03-04-2024, 05:48 PM   #10
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
I'm holding my phone up a bit so that the background of my view is a few meters ahead of me. I'm actually surprised how little of my consciousness is used to stay on the trail. Only when I have to cross a gnarly wash do I put the phone down.
Similar for me. Unless the sidewalk is crowded, I don't mind reading and walking. I completely put it down and 100% pay attention to walking/watching when I have to cross a street or even a driveway though.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 08:28 AM   #11
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I sometimes read portions of a book out loud, if I'm having trouble following long sentences. Reading out loud slows me down, and I'm more prone to obeying the punctuation marks.

Talking about reading while walking reminded me of a gal I used to know. She regularly drove the 4 hour trip back and forth to her hometown, and would actually prop a book on her steering wheel and read while driving. We all thought she was nuts. Such a good example for her kids in the van with her.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 08:44 AM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Talking about reading while walking reminded me of a gal I used to know. She regularly drove the 4 hour trip back and forth to her hometown, and would actually prop a book on her steering wheel and read while driving. We all thought she was nuts. Such a good example for her kids in the van with her.
It's illegal in many countries.

Also if you were a pedestrian and accidentally tripped someone into to the road you could be facing prison in many countries even if the person wasn't injured or killed.

Listening to music is one thing, but reading or watching anything while walking, cycling or driving is irresponsible and can be illegal.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 09:36 AM   #13
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Ever read a book out loud?
Many thousands of times. I'm a mum.

Quote:
I've started to read a novel out loud during my walks.[...]
Any thoughts?
This is what audiobooks are for.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 03:57 PM   #14
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
while moving impossible because of the different breathing rhythms needed for.
And while resting I'd hate it as much as I do hate audio books, because my normal reading speed seriously exceeds my speaking speed.
The most likely exception I would do
is declamation of poetry. (which I haven't done for over two decades)
The only exception I ever made with prose was the foxes taming request (The little prince, Ch. 21) - dissolving my listeners to tears. :P
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 04:57 AM   #15
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Ever read a book out loud? I was thinking of just for the heck of it,
Whenever I'm reading a non-L1 language (fiction or nonfiction), I tend to read aloud as an aid to comprehension and to enhance learning
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote